Worcester Park, the seat of William Taylor, Esq., is situated mid-way between Kingston and Ewell. It formed part of the land which Henry VIII imparked for his celebrated palace of Nonesuch; this portion was afterwards called Worcester Park, but from what circumstances it obtained that name is unknown*. Charles I, in the second year of his reign, settled it, with Nonesuch, on his queen. In the survey of Worcester Park in 1650 it was valued at £550 a year and was bought by Colonel Pride at six years purchase. On the restoration the queen again obtained possession. Charles II granted a lease for 900 years to Sir Robert Long, but it was afterwards included in a grant to the Duchess of Cleveland who, dying 9 October 1709, left this estate to her grandson Charles, then Duke of Grafton, whose son, in 1731, sold it to John Walter, esq. His son and heir, George, was knighted, and left two daughters and co-heirs, one of whom married the Reverend … Clarke; the other died single in 1749. In 1750 this estate was sold in Chancery to William Taylor, esq., who had formed a manufactory for gunpowder here, in 1720, on a part of the property which he held on lease.*later research says that the original Worcester House was built by the Earl of Worcester, keeper of Nonsuch Park.
|Name||Born||Details, where known|
|Charles||Died 1817 after falling from a horse|
|Barrington||c.1802 Ewell/Worcester Park||Died 1882, unmarried. Curate of Ashtead, St Giles for 46 years. Chaplain to Epsom Workhouse 1840-66.|
|Frederick||c.1802 Long Ditton||Landowner|
This quiet village was thrown into a state of consternation, truly terrifying, about twelve o'clock on Tuesday night last, occasioned by the explosion of a gunpowder mill, in the vicinity of Worcester Park, leading into the Ewell Road, the property of Mr Frederick Taylor. The mill at the time was in full work, containing a great quantity of powder. Fortunately, the only individual who was employed had left a few minutes before the explosion or the consequences to him would, no doubt, have been fatal. The noise was heard for some miles off. All the woodwork, of which the mill was composed, was blown to atoms and scattered all round the place into the road. Happily, it occurred at night, or in all probability human life would have been sacrificed.
|Name||Born||Details, where known|
|Deane Parker||1835 Kensington||Barrister and HM Inspector of Schools.|
Latterly lived at Malling Priory, Lindfield, Sussex. Died 1917.
|Gregory Walton||c.1837 Kensington||Clergyman, latterly at Heathfield, Sussex.|
|Blanche||1838 Kensington||Married Rev Abraham Gooderham.|
Lived in Northumberland for many years and died there in 1908.
|Rose||1841 Highgate||Died 1923 Isle of Wight. Unmarried.|
|Lee Percy||c.1842 Highgate||Captain, Royal Artillery, then a prison governor.|
Died 1925 Isle of Wight but in 1911 was living at The Pines, The Avenue, Worcester Park.
Lee's wife, Mary Elizabeth, died at Worcester Park House in January 1870.
|Annie Strickland||c.1844 Brighton||Married barrister John Liddon.|
Died 1925, then living Wimbledon.
|Frank James||c.1847 Highgate||Solicitor.|
Died 1913, then living Maidstone.
WORCESTER PARK HOUSE, Surrey, 10 miles from London, a mile from a station. - For SALE by order of the executors of the late Sir James Pennethorne, the above important FREEHOLD RESIDENTIAL ESTATE of about 40 acres. It is situate in an undulating, well wooded and favourite district and includes a commodious family mansion, approached by a carriage drive, and containing 15 bedrooms, two dressing-rooms, bath-room, box-room, four handsome reception-rooms, billiard-room, spacious entrance and inner halls, work-room, servants' hall, butler's pantry and ample offices and extensive cellarage. Stabling for six horses, coach-houses, laundry, with room over, gardener's cottage and two other modern cottages. The grounds are singularly picturesque and include lawn, Italian garden sloping to ornamental running water, croquet lawn surrounded by timber trees and shrubs, secluded walks, rose garden, vinery, orchard-house, two kitchen gardens (one walled), melon ground, cow-house, plantation and undulating park lands, adorned by ornamental timber, and belted on one side by a row of noble old elms.
(Source: The Morning Post of 30 September 1871).