Great War Memorials - Surnames J

Back to War Memorials Page
Back to War
Memorials Page


Click on the name to jump to the relevant entry

JACKSON, Arthur James (Revised 28/01/2015)
JACKSON, F (New 18/01/2013)
JACQUES, Herbert (Revised 11/12/2017)
JEAL, John Warington (Revised 11/10/2018)
JENKINS, David (Revised 21/10/2018)
JENKINS, George Albert (updated 11/12/2014)
JENKINS, James Reed (Updated 12/02/2015)
JIBB, Arthur Harwood (Revised 28/04/2010)
JOHNSON, Bernard Keith (Revised 27/02/2015)
JOHNSON, Ernest Ralph (Revised 28/04/2010)
JOHNSON, John William, (New 28/08/2012)
JOHNSTON, Jonathan Locke (Revised 30/08/2013)
JOLLIFFE, Tom Donovan (Updated 20/12/2014)
JONES, Archibald Frank Percival (Revised 04/11/2017)
JONES, George Albert (Updated 02/01/2015)
JOSEPH, Sidney Herbert (Updated 08/05/2017)
If you are looking for someone whose name starts with a different letter please try:




JACKSON Arthur James, Sergeant. 9961.

2nd Battalion East Surrey Regiment.
Killed in Action 1 April 1915, aged 23.

Arthur's headstone in the Voormezeele Enclosure No3 cemetery, Belgium
Arthur's headstone in the Voormezeele Enclosure No3 cemetery, Belgium
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2009

Arthur James Jackson was originally registered as Arthur James Goacher, born in 1892 in Epsom (GRO: Dec 1892 Epsom 2a 19) the illegitimate son of Ann Goacher, who was born in Cowfold, Sussex in 1875.

Arthur's mother Ann appears on the 1881 census living with her parents James and Ann Goacher at Tottington Sands, Upper Beeding, Sussex.

In the 1891 census, a year before he was born, Arthur's 16 year old mother Ann was living with her maternal grandparents, William and Ann Woolvin, at 'Gratwick Cottages', Henfield Road, Cowfold, Sussex. Arthur's 46 year old paternal grandfather James and 42 year old grandmother Ann appear as living at 'Longdown Cottages', Reigate Road, Ewell with their other daughter, 4 year old Mabel Rose. There were three boarders living with them.

Ann Goacher, a 19 year old spinster, married Robert Jackson, a 28 year old bachelor, in 1894 in St Mary's Ewell Surrey. Ann's father was named as James Goacher while Robert's was Matthew Jackson, both being labourers.

Name Born - Died Notes
Arthur James Born: 1892 Epsom
Died: 1 April 1915 Belgium
Alice Ann Born: 27 June 1895 Ewell
Died: 1975
Baptised: 11 August 1895
Irene Born: 1896 Ewell
Died: 1960
Robert John Born: 1899
Died: 1900
Baptised: 2 April 1899.
Buried: 23 March 1900
Celia Mabel Born: 1900 Ewell
Died: 1920
Baptised: 16 September 1900
Arthur Edward Born: 1902 Ewell
Died: 16 December 1965
Baptised: 4 May 1902.
Strange to also be named Arthur.
Married Minnie Maylett 1928
Sydney Guy Born: 1904 Epsom
Died: 1958

It appears that Arthur lived with his grandmother Ann and not his mother and her new family as in the 1901 census Arthur, aged 8, was living with his grandmother and recorded as being her son, not grandson. His grandmother's occupation was recorded as a 'Monthly Nurse' and to help with her income, she had five boarders living in her home 34 East Street, Epsom. Meanwhile his mother Ann and stepfather Robert were living at 'Gibraltar', Ewell with Arthur's half siblings Alice 7, Irene 5 and Mabel 6 months, plus one lodger.

On 15 February 1910, Arthur signed on in Kingston, as a regular soldier with the East Surrey Regiment, and stated that he had previously served as a Territorial soldier in the 5th Battalion East Surrey Regiment. He gave his age as 18 years and 3 months, but he would only have been 17 years and 3 months. He was 5 feet 6½ inches tall, weighed 119 lbs, had a fresh complexion, dark blue eyes, fair hair, and a chest measurement of 34½ inches with an expansion of 2½ inches. He gave his occupation as shop assistant, although on another of his army forms he is credited with being an 'oilman'. The remarks space in the Surrey Recruitment Register has the entry 'J.N. Cheal 84 Miles Road'. Could this have been where he worked? His parents lived at 78 Miles Road. Arthur's religion was Church of England.

It seems Arthur liked tattoos on his arms, he had a horse shoe crossed by a whip, an anchor, flag, tombstone, heart, 9 dots in the form of a square, 2 dots on the back of his left hand, ring marks on all fingers of left hand and a cross on his right wrist. He had perfect vision scoring 6/6 for each eye, and a pulse rate of 90. He was described as smart, clean and intelligent, with good physical development.

When the 1911 census was taken Arthur's mother and stepfamily had moved and were living at 231 Hook Road, Epsom, Surrey. Arthur's 43-year-old stepfather filled in the form stating that he and his 46-year-old wife Annie had been married for 22 years and that one of their 6 children had died. He also noted that he was a labourer for a builder and that his wife was a maternity nurse while his 18-year-old daughter Alice was a chemist's assistant. Mabel aged 11, Arthur Edward aged 9 and Sidney aged 7 were all at school.

Brief timetable of Arthur's service:

Kingston-Upon-Thames, Surrey15 February 1910 to 16 June 1910
Plymouth, Devon17 June 1910 to 27 September 1910
Kinsale, Ireland28 September 1910 to 29 September 1912
Dublin, Ireland30 September 1912 to 12 November 1912
IndiaNovember 1912 to 15 November 1914
Transport ship Malda16 November 1914 to 22 December 1914
Devonport23 December 1914 to 23 December 1914
Winchester, Hampshire24 December 1914 to 18 January 1915
Southampton, Hampshire18 January 1915 to 18 January 1915
Transport ship Maidan18 January 1915 to 19 January 1915
Le Havre, France19 January 1915
Killed in Action St Eloi trenches1 April 1915

Arthur was generally a good soldier the following is a list of highs and lows:

5 May 1910 awarded a 3rd class certificate of education
9 November 1911admitted hospital, hernia
10 October 1912passed a course at Longmoor for mounted infantry
5 May 1913granted proficiency pay
15 April 1913classified as a marksman
25 April 1913Lance Corporal
26 December 1913reprimanded and forfeited 1 good conduct badge for being drunk and improperly dressed.
21 January 1914reprimanded for
i. Not complying with an order
ii. Stating a falsehood to a senior NCO
18 April 1914reprimanded for being absent from school
2 May 1914classified as a first class shot
16 February 1915acting Sergeant

Arthur was killed on 1 April 1915 whilst his Battalion was taking over trenches at St Eloi, from the 3rd Battalion Middlesex Regiment. Probably from shellfire or a sniper. He is buried in Voormezeele Enclosure No3 cemetery, Belgium.

All his personal property was to be sent to Mr. R Jackson, 22 Middle Lane, East Street, Epsom, 20 July 1915.

Arthur was awarded the 1915 Star, British war medal and the Victory medal.

The St Martin's Church Roll of Honour states that:
ARTHUR JAMES JACKSON, was in the Army when war was declared and was killed in action in France on the 1st April 1915.
The following entry appears in de Ruvigny's Roll of Honour:
JACKSON, ARTHUR, Acting Sergt., No. 9961, 2nd Battn. East Surrey Regt., s. of Robert Jackson, of 78, Miles Road, Epsom; served with the Expeditionary Force in France; killed in action 1 April 1915.
Arthur's stepfather died in Epsom workhouse in 1922 and was buried in grave K726 in Epsom Cemetery on 29 September. Grave K726 is the last resting place of another 12 souls. Arthur's mother Ann died in Epsom Hospital on 20 September 1955.


Back to the index


Despite checking all known sources of information, it has proved impossible to establish why the name 'JACKSON F.' should appear on the Epsom War Memorial in Ashley Road.

If you can shed any light on why the name has been include we would be delighted to hear from you via our Webmaster.

Back to the index

JACQUES Herbert Joseph, Private. 266332.

1/6 (Cyclist) Battalion Norfolk Regiment.
Committed suicide whilst of unsound mind 12 December 1917, aged 37.

Herbert's gave in St Mary's Churchyard, Ewell
Herbert's grave in St Mary's Churchyard, Ewell
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2011

Herbert Joseph Jacques was born on 15 July 1880 in Lambeth (GRO reference: Sep 1880 Lambeth 1d 517) to Joseph John and Elizabeth Jane Jacques (nee Line). His parents had married in the September quarter of 1871 in the Marylebone registration district.

Herbert was baptised on 8 August 1880 at St Phillips church, Lambeth.

In the 1881 census the family was living at 1, Allardyce Street, Lambeth. Herbert's father was a 36 year old stonemason. His mother was aged 28, and he had two sisters, Agnes Maud Elizabeth aged 8 and Edith Mary aged 6.

On 20 August 1888, Herbert started at the Calvert Road School in Greenwich. His address was recorded in the school admission book as 8 Lovegrove Place, Walnut Tree Grove.

Herbert's father died at the age of 45, his death being registered in the March 1890 quarter in the Greenwich registration district.

The 1891 census shows Herbert's mother as a 38 year old widow, working as a dressmaker and living at 8, Lovegrove Place, Walnut Tree Road, Greenwich. Living with her were 16 year old daughter Edith Mary, and two boarders, 16 year old Robert Graham, a mechanical engineer's apprentice and 24 year old Harriet Harrington, a school mistress. Aged 10, Herbert was recorded living at Collingwood Court Royal Albert Orphan Asylum, Frimley.

By the 1901 census Herbert was working as a stockbroker's clerk, and lived as a lodger with James Walton and his family at 24, Arodene Road, Tulse Hill, London. Herbert's mother and sister Edith both lived at 25, The Grove, Clacton, Essex, and made their living by letting furnished apartments.

The 1911 census shows Herbert as the head of the family, aged 30, single, living at 165, High Street, Egham and working as a 'Refreshments batman and stockbrokers clerk. His mother and sister Edith were living with him, and both worked as refreshment caterers. Although crossed out, his mother recorded that she had had three children all of whom were still living. The whereabouts of Agnes is unknown.

Herbert attested in Epsom on 10 December 1915. His attestation papers show him initially assigned as number 3446, LRB (London Rifle Brigade), but this has been crossed out and number 266332, 2/6 Norfolk (Cyclist) Battalion substituted. He was 35 years old, 5 feet 7 inches tall, weighed 160 lbs and had a chest measurement of 38 inches with an expansion of 4 inches. His complexion was dark, his eyes were brown, his hair was dark and he had scar on the left side of his neck. He lived at 'Elvaston', Epsom Road, Ewell and worked as a clerk. Herbert was unmarried, and named his mother as his next of kin.

Elvaston  home of Herbert Joseph Jacques
Elvaston home of Herbert Joseph Jacques
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2012

Having attested on 10 December 1915, the next day he was placed on the Army reserve and was not mobilised until 19 October 1916, at Kingston. However, his time with the colours was destined to be short, as on 8 June 1917 he was discharged from the Army due to being medically unfit for service through diabetes. Although his illness was judged to be neither the result of, nor aggravated by military service, he was nevertheless granted a gratuity of £55. His military character was assessed as good, and he was judged to be thoroughly steady and trustworthy.

The following is an extract from the Epsom Advertiser dated 18 January 1918:

     An inquest was held at Leatherhead Institute on Friday afternoon by Mr. D. Brett, deputy coroner, on the death of Herbert Joseph Jacques, age 37, a stock broker's clerk, residing at "Elvaston", Epsom-road, Ewell, who had been missing since December 12th and whose body was found hanging in the woods between Leatherhead and Epsom Downs on Thursday.
     Elizabeth Jane Jacques identified the body as that of her son. She said he left home on December 12th to catch the 9.14 train from Epsom to London. On the following day she heard he had not been to work and inquiries were made in various directions as to his whereabouts and were unsuccessful. He joined the Army in October 1916 being attached to the Norfolk Regiment Cyclists Battalion, and was discharged in December with a good character on account of his being physically unfit. He was suffering from diabetes and neurasthenia. Since his discharge he had been a patient of the Manor War Hospital, Epsom. He was then at home for some time, and recommenced his civil work in September. He had never threatened to take his life. After leaving the hospital he was attended by Dr. Ryecart. On the morning of December 12th he did not seem particularly depressed, but he had complained at times of feeling depressed. He had no financial worries.
     PC Rose said on Thursday morning an anonymous letter was received addressed to the Inspector. It ran, "I was through (sic) the old Green-lane leading from Leatherhead to Epsom Downs, and as I was looking over the hedge I saw a man hanging from a tree. He was quite dead; otherwise I should have cut him down. It is on the right-hand side of the road, where the three steam ploughs are at work." In consequence of that letter witness went at 8 a.m. to Green-lane and made a search of the woods on both sides of the road. In the wood on the right-hand side he saw the body of deceased suspended by a webbed waist belt from a limb of a beech tree 12 feet from the ground. The body had frozen. He was fully dressed, with the exception of the hat. His pince-nez were still on his nose. Witness searched the body and found a daily paper dated December 12th. His overcoat was on the ground about 12 yards from the tree. Amongst other things on the body was his Army discharge, 7s. 8d. in money, season ticket, cigarette case with cigarettes, pocket book, and two bunches of keys. He was wearing his service badge on a lapel of his coat. The body was conveyed to the mortuary.
     The jury returned a verdict of "Suicide while of unsound mind," and expressed deep sympathy with the mother. The fees of the jury and that of the mother were given to the Leatherhead Cottage Hospital.
NOTE: Neurasthenia is a psychological disorder characterised by chronic fatigue and weakness, loss of memory, and generalised aches and pains, formerly thought to result from exhaustion of the nervous system. No longer in scientific use.

From the probate entry for Herbert:
JACQUES Herbert Joseph of Elvaston Epsom-road Ewell Surrey was last seen alive on 12 December 1917 and whose dead body was found 10 January 1918 at Highlands Farm Epsom Surrey Administration London 28 January to Elizabeth Jane Jacques widow. Effects £313 19s 3d.
Herbert is buried in plot 186A in St Mary's churchyard, Ewell.

He is not commemorated on any of the Borough's memorials.


Back to the index

JEAL John Warington, Gunner. 37598.

D Battery 173 Brigade Royal field Artillery.
Died of Wounds 8 October 1918, aged 32.

John's headstone in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium
John's headstone in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2010

John Warington Jeal was born on 10 November 1885 (GRO reference: Mar 1886 Epsom 2a 17) to William and Louisa Eaton Jeal (nee Warington). William and Louisa were married at All Saints Church, Marylebone on 9 June 1867 and during their marriage had nine known children:

NameBorn - DiedNotes
William WaringtonBorn: 1868 Marylebone
Died: 8 March 1951
Baptised 13 September 1868 St Martin of Tours Church, Epsom. Married Alice Scheurer 26 April 1898 St Mary and St Nicholas, Leatherhead. Corporal in HM Army
Emily CharlotteBorn: 1870 Epsom
Died: 1945
Baptised: 13 March 1870 St Martin of Tours Church, Epsom. Married Frederick Robert Parrett 3 August 1891 St Martin of Tours Church, Epsom
Joseph FredericBorn: 1872 Epsom
Died and buried: 8 June 1897 Muttra, Bengal, India
Private in 1st Hussars. Unmarried
Mary AnnBorn: 1875 Epsom
Died: 1875 Epsom
Buried: 16 August 1875 in grave F127 Epsom Cemetery, aged 2 months
Thomas DanielBorn 1876 Epsom
Died: 1934 Middle House (Epsom Hospital) Epsom
Married Frances Rebecca Cuell 9 March 1907 Christ Church, Purley Buried 14 April 1934 St Giles Church, Ashtead, Surrey.
Clara MariaBorn: 1879 Epsom
Died: 1945 at 5 Nonsuch Place, Ewell Road, Cheam
Buried 22 January 1945 in grave A528 Epsom Cemetery
Annie Elsie DennettBorn: 23 January 1882 Epsom
Died: 1972 Bournemouth
Baptised 9 April 1882 Christ Church, Epsom.
John WaringtonBorn: 10 November 1885 Epsom
Died: 8 October 1918 Belgium
Baptised 17 January 1886 Christ Church, Epsom.
Henry SamuelBorn: 14 September 1888 Epsom
Died: 3 February 1958 Westgate on Sea, Kent
Baptised 21 October 1888 Christ Church, Epsom.
Attested on 20 September 1914 Royal West Kent Regiment.
Discharged 14 September 1916. Unmarried

Following their marriage, John's parents moved to Epsom, Surrey, where John's father found work as a porter.

When the 1871 census was taken, before John's birth, his parents and older siblings William and Emily were recorded as living in one of Nye's Cottages in Epsom High Street, next door to the Spread Eagle Hotel. John's father William was aged 28 and working as a wood dealer. His mother Louisa was aged 23.

In 1881 they were still living in the High Street but John's 36 year old father was by then a 'Fly Proprietor' employer. (Note: A Fly was a light two wheeled carriage drawn by one horse. The proprietor owned the Fly carriages and employed the drivers.) John's older brother William was working as a chemist's shop boy.

Following John's birth on 10 November 1885, he was baptised in Christ Church, Epsom Common, on 17 January 1886.

The 1891 census recorded the family as living at 14 High Street, Epsom. John's father, by now aged 46, was still earning his living as a Fly Proprietor employer. In addition to their children they had a boarder staying with them, John E May, a groom, as well as three lodgers. John's sister Emily was working as a dressmaker while brother Thomas was working as a draper's assistant

By the 1901 census the family had moved to New Town, Ifield near Crawley where John's father was working on his own behalf as a jobbing carter. John's sisters Clara and Annie were recorded as 'living on their own means', while John was working as a grocer's apprentice and Henry as a grocer's errand boy.

At some point over the next few years, the family moved back to Epsom. John's mother died at 2 The Mays, Ladbroke Road, Epsom, and was buried in grave A528 in Epsom Cemetery on 28 November 1908.

By 1911 John was working as a grocer's assistant and was living with his widowed 72 year old aunt Annie Lyttle and his 30 year old sister Clara Maria at 79 Hook Road, Epsom. John's father was living as a boarder at Vine Lodge, Ashley Road, Epsom and working for himself as a furniture remover. He was aged 74 when he died there on 30 January 1917; he was buried in the same grave as his late wife on 3 February 1917.

Before his father's death, John attested in Kingston on 12 July 1915 and joined the Royal Field Artillery. He was 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighed 140lbs and had a chest measurement of 36 inches with an expansion of 4 inches. He was a grocer's assistant and lived at 79 Hook Road, Epsom. He went to France on 27 November 1915.

John served as a Gunner with D Battery, 173rd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, which was part of the 36th Division. He died of wounds on 8 October 1918, most probably from shell fire, and is buried in plot XXX. B. 2. Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium.

He was awarded the 1914-1915 Star, British War medal and the Victory medal.

The St Martin's Church Roll of Honour states that:
JOHN WARINGTON JEAL, died in France of wounds on the 8th October 1918.
Probate of John's effects valued at £259 12s 8d was granted to his unmarried sister Clara on 20 November 1919.

The 'Soldiers Effects' record show that John's sister Clara M Jeal received John's war gratuity on 1 January 1920.


Back to the index

JENKINS David, Chaplain 4th Class

Died 6 March 1919, aged 32.

David Jenkins was born in 1887 in Tythegstone Glamorgan, Wales. His parents, William and Margaret Jenkins (nee Jenkins), had married in 1866 in the Bridgend registration district.

When the 1891 census was taken, David was aged 4 and living with his older siblings William aged 20, a collier in the mines, and Margaret Ann aged 17, a dressmaker, in the village of Cefn Cribbwr, Higher Tythegston, Glamorgan with their parents and maternal grandfather David Jenkins, a blacksmith. His father was also working as a collier. David also had an older sister Mary Jane.

The 1901 census records the family address as being 7 Overt Row, Cefn Cribbwr. David's sister Margaret Ann had married and was living there with her husband William Watkins. David's father was still working as a collier as was David's brother-in-law. David himself was working as a grocers assistant.

By 1911 David was a Clerk of Holy Orders in North East England and was boarding with Herbert Fake and his family at 12 May Street, Durham.

Aged 26, the Reverend David Jenkins was initiated on 6 June 1913 into the Windsor Lodge of the Freemasons; his place of residence was recorded then as Penarth, four miles southwest of Cardiff. On 15 February 1916 he was initiated into the Chatsworth Lodge in Derby; their log book records that he died on 6 March 1919.

David arrived as a chaplain in 1918 at the Horton War Hospital, Epsom. During the thirteen months that he worked there he became a popular and well liked member of the hospital staff.

His death on 6 March 1919 in Horton War Hospital was caused by pneumonia that followed his influenza infection. David was one of millions that died during the deadly 1918-1920 influenza pandemic that swept through the whole world.

Lieutenant Colonel J.R. Lord was the Commanding Officer of the Horton War Hospital. After the war he wrote a book entitled 'THE STORY OF THE HORTON (CO. OF LONDON) WAR HOSPITAL: EPSOM'. The following is an extract from the book:
Death of Rev. D. Jenkins.---- I regret to say that in March, 1919, the Rev. D. Jenkins fell a victim to duty and influenza. He was an orator of considerable merit, and completely absorbed in theology. I had many a long talk with him on religious matters and sincerely deplore his death.
After a service held in the Horton Hospital Chapel, his body was transported to Epsom railway station and taken home to be buried in St James' churchyard in Pyle, Bridgend, Wales.

Probate records state that before his death he was living at 101 Hook Road, Epsom and that administration of his effects valued at £165 14s. 4d. had been given to his sister Margaret Ann Watkins, wife of William Watkins.

There is also a plaque commemorating David Jenkins in St. John's Church, Derby.


Back to the index

JENKINS George Albert, Private. 1289.

12th (Prince of Wale's Royal) Lancers.
Died of Wounds 17 May 1915, aged 28.

George's headstone in Hazebrouck Communal Cemetery, France
George's headstone in Hazebrouck Communal Cemetery, France
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2013

George Albert Jenkins was born on 22 April 1887 in Sutton (GRO reference: Jun 1887 Epsom 2a 10) to Edward and Rachel Jenkins (nee Knott). His parents married on 11 October 1874 in St Mark church, Notting Hill, whilst living at 5 Talbot Mews. George's father was a police constable.

In the 1881 census, before George was born, the family lived at 3, Vernon Cottage, Vernon Road, Sutton. His father was a 28 year old police constable. His mother was aged 26, and he had three older siblings, Charles aged five, Emma aged three and Edith aged one. The family also had a boarder, 20 year old George Plint, a painter from Falmouth, Cornwall.

George Albert Jenkins And His Siblings
Name Born - Died Notes
Charles Edward Born: 8 August 1875 Sutton
Died: 1898 Sutton
Baptised 11 June 1876
Emma Born: 11 June 1877 Sutton Baptised 4 August 1878
Married George Marshman 1899
Edith Annie Born: 1879 Sutton Baptised Annie Edith 21 December 1884
Married John Frederick Emms 1899
Florence Beatrice Born: 1882 Sutton Baptised 21 December 1884
Married Benjamin Thomas Randall 1903
Thomas William Born: 1884 Sutton Baptised 21 December 1884
Private R M L I
George Albert Born: 1887 Sutton
Died: 17 May 1915 France
Violet Winifred Jane Born: 31 December 1891 Sutton Baptised 22 February 1892
Married Edwin John Pardoe 1909
Frederick Walter Philip Born: 24 April 1893 Sutton Baptised 11 March 1894
Served with the Australian Army
Harry Victor Born: 13 June 1895 Sutton
Died: 1 October 1918 Leicestershire
Baptised 15 September 1895
Married Sophie Marie Franks 1916.
Served in 7 Battalion Leicestershires
Commemorated on Sutton memorial
There may have been others

George was baptised in Sutton on 22 February 1891. In 1891 the family lived at 8 Robin Hood Terrace, Robin Hood Street, Sutton. George's father was still earning his living as a police constable, and three more siblings had arrived, Florence aged nine, Thomas aged six and Violet aged three months. Lodging with the family was 18 year old Bertram Root, an ironmongers assistant. Brother Charles was not living with them and died in 1898 aged 22.

By 1901 the family had moved to 9 Alice Cottages, Crown Road, Epsom. George's 49 year old father had apparently retired from the police force, as he is recorded as being a house painter. Another two siblings are recorded, Frederick aged seven and Victor aged five. George, recorded under his second name Albert, aged fourteen, was working as a fireworks maker. Sister Florence was living away and working as a servant in Croydon.

George's mother Rachel died in the June quarter of 1909 at the young age of 55. His father remarried to Elizabeth Pettit in the December quarter of 1909.

The 1911 census records George's father as a 59 year old police pensioner living at Station Road, Thatcham (his place of birth), Berkshire, with his new wife, 61 year old Elizabeth. George's brother Harry, recorded by his second name of Victor was an eighteen year old grocer's assistant and the only sibling living with their father. I have been unable to find George in the 1911 census.

As George appears in the London County Council (LCC) record of staff service during the Great War, and is commemorated on the Horton Mental Hospital Roll of Honour, at some point between 1901 and his war service he worked at the Horton asylum.

George's medal card shows that he went to France with the 12th Lancers on 17 August 1914. He was therefore part of the Regular Army and was most likely a reservist, recalled on the outbreak of war.

The LCC record of service tells us that George was wounded near the Ypres-Roulers Road on 14 May 1915 and died on 17 May. But his medal card simply states 'Died 17-5-15'. As the 12th Lancers were not actively engaging the enemy on 14 May, did he die of natural causes as implied by his medal card or was he wounded, as stated by the LCC record, either by enemy fire or through accident? No doubt we will never know.

George is buried in grave II.C.16. Hazebrouck Communal Cemetery, France.

He was awarded the 1914 Star, the British War medal and the Victory medal.

The CWGC states that he was the 'Son of Edward and Rachel Jenkins, of Station Road, Thatcham, Berks. Native of Sutton, Surrey.'

This seems slightly odd, as his mother Rachel died in 1909 whilst living in Epsom.

George and his brother Victor Harry are also commemorated on the Sutton War Memorial.

George's sister Edith Annie married John Frederick Emms, from the village Saxlingham Nethergate, Norfolk. The village church has a Roll of Honour to men who died that did not come from the village, but had some connection with it. As George's name appears on this Roll of Honour, it is believed that John Frederick Emms family had his name entered upon it. With thanks for this information to Jan Fox of the village of Saxlingham Nethergate, Norfolk.

Roll of Honour for Saxlingham Nethergate, Norfolk - click image to enlarge
Roll of Honour for Saxlingham Nethergate, Norfolk
Click image to enlarge
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2014


Back to the index

JENKINS James Reed, Gunner.

Royal Navy (RN). HMS Exe.
Drowned 27 March 1918, aged 32.

James's inscription on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial
James's inscription on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert ©2012

James Reed Jenkins was born on 23 June 1886 in Maidstone, Kent (GRO reference: Sep 1886 Maidstone 2a 736) to William Forder and Maria Jenkins (nee Reed). His parents had married in Christ Church, Folkestone on 27 July 1876.

In the 1881 census, before James was born, the family lived at 3, Orchard Street, Maidstone, Kent. James's 29 year old father earned his living as a waiter. His mother was aged 32, and brothers William and Arthur were aged three and one respectively.

James Reed Jenkins And His Siblings
Name Born - Died Notes
William Reed Born: 1878 Bath Married Alice Goodbody 1899
Arthur John Born: 1879 London
Died: 1881 Neath district
Maud Reed Born: 1882 Maidstone Married Albert Walter Semmons 1921 St. Barnabas, Epsom
Florence Marie Born: 1884 Maidstone Married Alfred Israel Katterns 1904
James Reed Born: 23 June 1886 Maidstone
Died: 27 March 1918 At sea
Sidney Edward Born: 1888 Maidstone  
Margaret Mildred Born: 1890 Maidstone Married William Joseph Gladman 1920

The 1891 census shows the family living at 32, Brunswick Street, Maidstone. James's father was still earning his living as a waiter. Four more siblings had arrived, Maud, Florence, Sidney and Margaret. I suspect that James is wrongly shown as 'Thomas R' in this census.

In 1901, 14 year old James was living away from the family at 116, High Street, Merthyr Tydfil, where he was working as a 'grocer's apprentice'. The main family home was at 17, East Street, Epsom where his father was the proprietor of a 'coffee house', working at home on his own account. Also living there was one year old Adam Goodbody Jenkins, the son of James's brother William.

On 23 June 1904, at the age of 18, James joined the Royal Navy signing on for 12 years. He was 5feet 3inches tall, had black hair, brown eyes, a dark complexion, a scar on his right knee, and worked as a 'shop boy'.

When the 1911 census was taken James, still unmarried, was recorded as an Able Seaman staying at The Handy Man Restaurant, Unicorn Road, Stoke Street, Landport, Portsmouth, along with 132 other service men of the RN. James was also a Freemason, with his Mother Lodge being Landport No. 1776 in Hampshire. His parents were still living at 17 East Street, Epsom when his father filled in the 1911 census form stating that he and his wife had been married for 34 years and that one of their 7 children had died. James' sisters Maud, Florence and Margaret were all assisting their father in the running of their dining room business.

The probate record for James Reed Jenkins of 27 East Street, Epsom shows that he left £145 2s 3d to 'Jane Jenkins widow'. There is a marriage record for a James Jenkins to Jane Jones registered in the June 1913 quarter in the Pontypridd registration district.

His service record, held by the National Archives, shows that he served in a number of naval establishments and ships, reaching the rank of Petty Officer. Strangely the record ceases on 18 May 1916, just short of 12 years service. The record is also stamped 'Paid war gratuity'.

Image source Wikipedia

On the day that James died he was serving as a gunner on HMS Exe, a Torpedo Boat Destroyer, launched in April 1903. On 27 March 1918 the Exe hit a mine in the North Sea, causing the deaths of five of the crew, including James. Although damaged, the Exe managed to stay afloat, and return to port to be repaired and returned to service. She was finally scrapped in 1920.

The St Martin's church Roll of Honour states that:
JAMES REED JENKINS, was in the Navy before the war. He was drowned at Sea on Good Friday, 29th March 1918, when his ship struck a mine.
The Portsmouth Naval Memorial
The Portsmouth Naval Memorial
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert ©2012

James has no grave but the sea, and is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial.

He was awarded the 1915 Star, the British War medal and the Victory medal.


Arthur Goodbody Jenkins, the son of James's brother William Reed died in 1910 aged 11, whilst living at 17, East Street, Epsom and was buried on 25 October 1910 in plot A230A in Epsom cemetery.

James's father William Forder, a refreshment house keeper died in 1917, aged 64 whilst living at 17, East Street, Epsom, and was buried on 28 June 1917, also in plot A230A in Epsom cemetery, with his grandson.

His 72 year old mother Maria, died in 1920, whilst living at 17, East Street, Epsom, and was buried on 7 August 1920 in plot A230A in Epsom cemetery with her late husband and grandson.
Back to the index

JIBB Arthur Harwood, Lieutenant (Quartermaster).

Royal Army Medical Corps, 94th Field Ambulance.
Died of Wounds 12 April 1918, aged 29.

Arthur Harwood Jibb
Arthur Harwood Jibb
Image courtesy of Arthur's Grandaughter Penny © 2010

Arthur Harwood Addey Jibb was born in 1889 (GRO reference: Sep 1889 Greenwich 1d 993) to Charles Henry Addey and Clara Maude Jibb (nee Harwood). Birth records and the Surrey recruitment entry (24 September 1914) for Arthur show the Addey and Jibb not to be hyphenated, yet his marriage entry (March 1911) is hyphenated. He is Jibb on the Long Grove memorial and in an Epsom Advertiser article dated 3 May 1918. But Addey-Jibb on page 5320 of the Supplement to the London Gazette dated 29 May 1918.

The 1891 census shows the family Jibb, living at 8 Brindley Street, Deptford. Arthur's father Charles was a 29 year old printer's compositor. His mother Clara was aged 24 , and he had a 4 month old sister Dorothy May. Also living at the address was a boarder, Louis Hawkins, also a printers compositor, and Kate Harwood, sister-in-law. Addey was Charles Henry's mother's maiden name.

By the 1901 census the family had moved to 134 Amersham Street, Deptford. Arthur had two more siblings, Olive Addey aged 4 and Cyril Harry aged 3 months.

Arthur married Hilda Alice Crisp, from Langley in Norfolk, in 1911 (GRO reference Mar 1911 Epsom 2a 19). There is a record of one child, Gordon D Adey-Jibb (GRO reference: Mar 1912 Epsom 2a 53).

In the 1911 census the 21 year old Arthur and his 26 year old wife Hilda were living at 165, Hook Road, Epsom. Arthur was working at a London County Council asylum as a steward's clerk.

Arthur attested at Epsom on 25 September 1914 aged 25 years and 2 months into the RAMC, with service number 36634. His stated occupation was as a clerk, but he was actually an assistant house steward at the Long Grove Asylum. Presumably it was because of this that he joined the RAMC. He was 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighed 147 lbs, had a chest measurement of 36 ½ inches with an expansion of 2 ½ inches. His complexion was sallow, eyes brown and his hair was black.

He rose from Private to Sergeant-major, and according to his medal card he was temporary quartermaster and honorary Lieutenant. Arthur went to France on 27 September 1915, was awarded the MSM, was mentioned in despatches, and received the 1915 star, British War medal and the Victory medal. His widow lived at 8, Court Farm Gardens, Epsom.

It appears that he was killed by shellfire. The book 'Britain's Last Tommies' by Richard Van Emden, on Page 270 has a reference to Lieutenant Quartermaster Addey-Jibb being killed by a shell whilst at an advanced dressing station in an old brewery. This was at the time of the German offensive on the Lys. The advanced dressing station was about to be overrun by the quickly advancing Germans. A Colonel was asking for volunteers to stay with the wounded and be taken prisoner when the shell struck. Arthur was not killed outright but died of his wounds shortly after.

Arthur is buried in Hondeghem Churchyard, a small village in France, with 8 other British soldiers.

Arthur's headstone in the Hondeghem Churchyard
Arthur's headstone in the Hondeghem Churchyard
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2010


Back to the index

JOHNSON Bernard Keith, Private. 7291.

8th Battalion East Surrey Regiment.
Killed in Action 1 July 1916, aged 21.

Bernard's Inscription on the Thiepval memorial
Bernard's Inscription on the Thiepval memorial
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2010

Bernard Keith Johnson was born in 1895 (GRO reference: Jun 1895 Epsom 2a 18) to Robert and Ruth Johnson (nee Crop). His parents had married in Kennington on 13 November 1883.

The 1871 census records Bernard's grandparent's, Jeremiah and Isabella Johnson, as having a grocer and dairy business next door to 'The Fox' public house in Woodcote Road at the junction with Chalk Lane. The pub was renamed The Ladas after the 1894 Derby horse race winner.

The 1886 Epsom Electoral Register records Bernard's father living in Laburnum Road, Epsom, but the following year's Electoral Register recorded him as being in Laburnum Road and Woodcote Green, Epsom.

At the time of the 1891 census Bernard was still yet to be born. His parents and older siblings lived at Woodcote Green, Epsom. His father was a 33 year old dairyman, who presumably was working for Bernard's grandfather Jeremiah. His mother was 30. Sister Olive Ruth was 6, May Evelyn was 4, and brother Robert Augustus was 2. Bernard's grandparents were living a few doors away in Woodcote Dairy. Bernard's spinster aunt, Isabella Johnson, lived next door to the dairy at Woodcote Villas (this was No. 2 Woodcote Green Road owned by Rev. E.W. Northey), where she had been running a ladies school since at least 1878.

Bernard's brother Robert died aged 4 and was buried in grave F95 in Epsom Cemetery on 1 March 1893.

For unknown reasons, Bernard was baptised in Carshalton, Surrey, on 7 July 1895. On 1 April 1897 Bernard's grandfather Jeremiah was buried in Epsom Cemetery in grave F94. His grandmother Isabella was buried in the same grave on 17 October 1899.

The 1901 census records Bernard and his family as still living in Woodcote Road but this time next door to Durdans Lodge and next-door-but-one to Bernard's aunt Isabella who was still teaching in Woodcote Villa. Father Robert still worked as a dairyman, but is shown as a journeyman. His sisters were working, Olive as a butchers assistant and May as a domestic nurse. Two more sisters had arrived, Gwendoline Alice 9 and Freda 1. The Kelly's 1903 Directory still listed aunt Isabella as running her school from Woodcote Villa but no longer listed the family run dairy.

Although aunt Isabella appears as living in Woodcote Villa in the 1911 census, Bernard and his family do not appear to have been recorded, even though the 1911 Electoral Registers still had Robert Johnson as living in Woodcote Road, Epsom.

Bernard attested in Epsom on 8 September 1914, stating his age as 19 years and 6 months. He was 5 feet 6¼ inches tall, weighed 128 lbs and had a chest measurement of 33½ inches with an expansion of 2 inches. He had a fresh complexion, blue eyes, brown hair and worked as a clerk.

Bernard was killed whilst serving in the 8th Battalion East Surrey regiment which was in the 55th Brigade 18th Division. The 8th Battalion landed at Boulogne on 28 July, but as Bernard's medal card tells us that he went to France on 23 February 1915, and his service record has not survived, we will probably never know what he did between February and July 1915.

July 1 1916 saw the start of the battle of the Somme, dubbed 'The Big Push', which was intended to break through the German lines and deliver a knock out blow to the German Army. In that respect the attack failed as the lines were not broken, and only a relatively small amount of ground had been taken by the end of the battle some four months later. The cost in lives was huge. On the first day the British had some 20,000 men killed. The costliest day in the entire history of the British army.

Bernard's battalion attacked towards the small village of Montauban, which by noon they had reached. One of the officers attached to the 8th East Surreys was Captain Wilfred Percy Nevill. The young men of the battalion had never before been in battle and Captain Nevill realised that they would be under great stress and very apprehensive about what might happen to them in the coming battle. To help take their minds off the dangers ahead he bought four footballs, one for each of his platoons. The idea was that they would dribble the balls across no mans land, and he would give a prize for the first platoon to reach the German lines. The prize would never be claimed, as Captain Nevill was killed during the attack.

On 1 July 1916 six officers and 133 men from the 8th East Surreys were killed, including Bernard who is commemorated on pier 6B of the Thiepval memorial.

The Epsom Advertiser dated 28 July 1916 printed the following:
LANCE-CORPORAL JOHNSON KILLED.-News was received this week by Mr and Mrs Johnson, of Woodcote, that their son, Lance-Corpl. B.K. Johnson, of the East Surrey Regt., has been killed in action. He was one of the earliest recruits from Epsom to join the Army; he was only 21 years of age. Lance-Corpl. Johnson was well known in the district as a capital footballer.
Bernard was awarded the 1914-1915 Star, the British War medal (BWM) and the Victory medal (VM). His medal card shows that when he was awarded the 1914-1915 Star he was a Lance Corporal, but a Private when he received the BWM and VM, suggesting that he was demoted at some point in his military career.

Front of Bernatd's medal card
Front of Bernards's medal card.
Image courtesy of (Link opens in a new window)
Copyright 2009, The Generations Network, Inc. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.
Ancestry Logo

The St. Martin's Church Roll of Honour states that:
BERNARD KEITH JOHNSON, was killed in action on the Somme on the 1st July 1916.
His father was aged 68 when he died in Merstham Mental Hospital; he was buried in grave F96 in Epsom Cemetery on 29 July 1925. His widow Ruth was aged 85 when she died at home 8, Woodcote Road; she was buried in her late husband's grave on 21 May 1946.


Back to the index

JOHNSON Ernest Ralph, Company Quartermaster Sergeant. R/277

7th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps.
Died of Wounds 15 October 1917, aged 24.

Ernest Ralph Johnson
Ernest Ralph Johnson
Image courtesy of Children and Teachers of Norton School
as published by Norton sub Hamdon History Society.
The Norton sub Hamdon Village website

Ernest Ralph Johnson was born in 1893 in Norton sub Hamdon, Somerset (GRO reference: Sep 1893 Yeovil 5c 402) to Herbert and Mercy Johnson (nee Grinter). He was baptised at St Mary's Church, Norton sub Hamdon on 20 August 1893.

Ernest Ralph was the eldest of eight children, the other seven being:

Lena Maud (Lottie) born 1895
Gertrude born 1896
Hubert born 1899
Herbert Henry born 1900
Kathleen Mary born 1903
Olga May born 1909
Stanley born 1910

In the 1901 census Ernest appears under his second name Ralph. The family lived in Broadmead Lane, Norton sub Hamdon, and Ernest's father Herbert was a 32 year old stone sawyer. His mother Mercy was also shown as 32, although birth records suggest she was two years younger than Herbert.

In the 1911 census Ernest was a 19 year old domestic servant working as a footman in Norton sub Hamdon.

Ernest attested on 29 August 1914 at Epsom giving his age as a very precise 23 years and 30 days. This would mean he was born on 30 July 1891, however his birth was not registered until the September quarter of 1893. He was 5 feet 7¾ inches tall, weighed 146lbs and had a chest measurement of 36¼ inches with an expansion of 5¼ inches. He had a fair complexion, blue eyes, light brown hair, and four vaccination marks from infancy. His physical development was described as very good, and he worked as a hospital attendant at Horton Asylum. His religion was Church of England.

Ernest with wife Esme and daughter Esme
Ernest with wife Esme and daughter Esme
Image courtesy of Children and Teachers of Norton School
as published by Norton sub Hamdon History Society.
The Norton sub Hamdon Village website

On 7 November 1914 at Bishop's Sutton, near Southampton, Ernest married Esme Frances Lilian Guy, and on 16 October 1915, their daughter Esme Florence Mercy Johnson was born (GRO reference: Dec 1915 Guy Alresford 2c 302).

Ernest was quickly promoted, to Lance Corporal on 15 February 1915,and by 10 December 1916 to Company Quartermaster Sergeant. His 'burnt' service papers are too damaged to retrieve any other information.

He served in the 7th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps which was in the 41st Brigade, 14th Division, sailing from Folkestone to Boulogne on 19 May 1915. At the time of Ernest's death in 1917 the Battalion was fighting in the battle of Passchendaele. They held the line from the Menin Road to the Scherriabeek for 6 days in October, a distance of about 600 yards. The following is an extract from the Battalion War diary from 10 to 16 October 1917:
     The relief was carried out under considerable difficulty owing to heavy shell fire and the ignorance of the guides. One of our company commanders with his headquarters and a whole platoon had to spend a most uncomfortable night in Dumbarton Lakes.
     Dispositions. Bn. Held front from MENIN ROAD 28 J 21 D to SCHERRIABEEK. 4th Middlesex on our right, 7th RB on our left. Two companies in front line and two in support. On the 14th the 39th Div. came in on our right.
     The tour of 6 days was most unpleasant, communications were very difficult especially to the rear and the Menin Road which was the principle route was always liable to be heavily shelled. We were unlucky in having R.S.M. Oxley severely wounded and 3 C.Q.M.S. - Ellis, Stannard and Johnson -- killed in the dump. All these men were the oldest members of the Battalion and their loss was very much felt.
     A large number of men were sick in the line, largely owing to the bad condition of the trenches, and the impossibility of getting up thigh boots or hot food. We had nearly 70 cases of men sent to F.A. with Trench foot.
     There were more opportunities for sniping than we had ever had before as the Germans walked about openly at dawn and dusk. Our men thoroughly enjoyed themselves and counted for a large number.
     Our total casualties for the tour were 27 O.R. killed, 59 wounded or missing. The Bn. Was relieved by 5th Oxf and Bucks and moved to camp at Ridge Wood.
(NOTE: F.A. means Field Ambulance, a medical unit of around 100 men under a Lt. Colonel.)

Trench Map of Dumbarton Lakes (click to enlarge)

The Soldiers CD states that 33 men died during the period 10 to 16 October 1917, 27 being killed in action and 6 dying of wounds. It is unusual for O.R. (other ranks) to be named, usually only officers would be named. The 3 C.Q.M.S. killed were most likely hit by the same shell. Ellis and Stannard being killed outright, and now commemorated on the Tyne Cot memorial to the missing. Gerald probably survived long enough to be taken back to the Casualty Clearing Station at Lijssenthoek, where he died from his wounds.

Letter from the Army Chaplain to Ernest's wife - click imaage to enlarge
Letter from the Army Chaplain to Ernest's wife (click imaage to enlarge)
Image courtesy of Children and Teachers of Norton School
as published by Norton sub Hamdon History Society.
The Norton sub Hamdon Village website

In a letter dated 12 February 1918 written to the officer in charge of records at Winchester, the War Office wrote on 'Effects -- Form 118A' that all of Ernest's effects and any medals he may be awarded should be sent to Mrs E.F.L. Johnson at Meadowcroft, The Dean, Alresford, Hants. On 15 February 1918 his effects were listed as follows, and sent to his widow:
  • 1 fountain pen
  • 1 watch
  • 1 disc photos
  • 1 photo case
  • 1 cig case
  • 1 knife
  • 1 note book
  • 1 purse
  • 1 fob pouch
  • 1 post officer savings book
  • 2 5 mark notes
  • 1 19ct gold ring
From 29 April 1918 Mrs Johnson was granted a War pension of 22 shillings and 6 pence for herself and I child. Later, she also received his plaque, scroll, 1915 Star, British War medal and Victory medal.

The following is a extract from the Alresford Parish Magazine dated November 1917:
And now the sad news has come within the last few days that C.Q.M.S. Ernest Ralph Johnson, K.R.R. has made the great sacrifice. It is, indeed, a terrible blow to Mrs. Guy and the young widow, her daughter, coming so soon after all the anxiety and suspense they have gone through of late. He was killed on the field of honour on October 16th, having been at the front since May, 1915; it is only a fortnight or so since he was home on leave, thoroughly enjoying his brief stay amongst those who were so near and dear to him. But they will bear their desolating sorrow and loss bravely, we know: it is what he would have wished. May all Christian hope and comfort be granted to them from the source that never fails.

Official notice of Ernest's interment
Official notice of Ernest's interment
Image courtesy of Children and Teachers of Norton School
as published by Norton sub Hamdon History Society.
The Norton sub Hamdon Village website

Ernest is commemorated in the book "RECORD OF WAR SERVICE London County Council Staff 1914-1918" pages 78 and 198.

Ernest is buried in plot XXI. H. 6. Lijssenthoek Miitary Cemetery, Belgium, along with 10,753 of his comrades.

Ernest's headstone in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium
Ernest's headstone in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2010


Back to the index

JOHNSON John William, Signaller. J/26604.

Royal Navy: HMS Murray.
Died 4 November 1919, aged 21.

John's headstone in Epsom cemetery
John's headstone in Epsom cemetery
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2012

John William Johnson was born on 18 June 1898 (GRO reference: Sep 1898 Epsom 2a 19) to Walter and Sarah Johnson (nee Freeston). John's parents married in the March quarter of 1897 in the Croydon registration district.

In the 1901 census the family lived at 4, St Joseph's Cottages, Heathcote Road, Epsom. John's 28 year old father worked as a groom. His mother was aged 30 and he had two siblings, Walter aged three and Dorothy aged 11 months. On census night they had two visitors, 55 year old Emma Harding and 30 year old Edward Shipping.

In 1911 the family still lived at 4, St Joseph's Cottages but John's father now worked as a 'messman' at the Manor Asylum. Another sibling had arrived, Thomas aged eight. Emma Harding aged 72 was still boarding with them. (Her 55 years shown in the 1901 census was probably a mistake).

John joined the Navy on 18 June 1916, his eighteenth birthday. He was 5 feet 4½ inches tall, had light brown hair, blue eyes, a fresh complexion and had a chest measurement of 35 inches. He had previously worked as an errand boy. John's service record shows that he served in a number of RN establishments, and that he had been 'Wounded in Action', date unclear. He was subsequently declared 'Invalided' and paid a war gratuity. Exactly what killed John is not known, but it was certainly as a result of his service with the RN.

The St Martin's church Roll of Honour states that:
JOHN WILLIAM JOHNSON, was in the Navy before the war. He died at home, on the 4th November 1919, of illness contracted on active service.
John is buried in plot D332 in Epsom cemetery. Also buried with John are his two brothers, Walter Henry died 2 May 1929 aged 32, and Thomas Victor died 26 January 1931, aged 28.

John's parents are buried together in plot F144, father Walter, aged 58 of Middle House on 3 June 1933 and mother Sarah, aged 79 of 49, Dorking Road on 10 February 1945.


Back to the index

JOHNSTON Jonathan Locke, Captain (Quartermaster).

Canadian Army Medical Corps
Died 3 November 1918, aged 31.

Jonathan's headstone in Epsom Cemetery
Jonathan's headstone in Epsom Cemetery
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2012

Jonathan was a Canadian of Scottish descent, who was born on 12 July 1887, the son of H. Wynne and Alice Maude Johnston of Lockeport, Shelburne County, Nova Scotia. His brother Mortimer Wynne was born in 1897 and also served.

On 6 November 1915 Jonathan, having been a bank clerk, attested in Sussex, New Brunswick, Canada into the Canadian Over-seas Expeditionary Force. He was described as being 5 feet 8 inches tall with a 41 inch chest and 5 inch expansion, fair complexion, hazel eyes and brown hair. His religion was Baptist.

On 21 February 1916 Jonathan was discharged after 4 months from the 64th Battalion, at Halifax Nova Scotia as he had taken a commission on 14 February 1916 and became a Lieutenant in the No.9 Stationary Hospital. He was promoted to honorary Captain (Quartermaster) in the Canadian Army Medical Corps at the No. 9 Stationary Hospital in France but, contrary to the terminology, such hospitals were not stationary and moved around with the various army units. Number 9 Stationary Hospital was at St Nazaire between September and October 1914, Le Havre October 1914 and Rouen from November 1914 to June 1917.

Jonathan was appointed Quartermaster at Woodcote Park Camp around November 1917.

He married Muriel Dream Adams in Epsom in the summer of 1918. Muriel was born on 10 December 1893 at Cowes, Isle of Wight, the daughter of jeweller Sydney Arthur Adams. In the 1911 census she was living in Battersea with her family and working as a shorthand typist for a silversmith. By 1918 the family had moved to Epsom.

In any event, Jonathan did not live for long after his wedding and died at Horton Hospital on 3 November 1918 of pneumonia/influenza. The Epsom Advertiser published two items about Jonathan as follows:
8 November 1918.
A WIDOWED BRIDE. - On Sunday, at the Horton War Hospital, occurred the death of Capt. J. Lock (sic) Johnston, who had been Quartermaster at the camp for the last 12 months. Townspeople will remember that only about two months have elapsed since Capt. Lock (sic) Johnston married a daughter of Mr. S. Adams, jeweller, of High-street, Epsom. His wife was with him at the time of his death, although she herself had not fully recovered from an illness. The deceased officer was very popular both in town and in camp. Much sympathy is extended to the widow and relatives.

15 November 1918.
AN EPSOM MILITARY FUNERAL. - THE LATE CAPT. LOCH (sic) JOHNSTON. - The funeral of Capt. Loch (sic) Johnston, who died from pneumonia following influenza at the War Hospital, took place on Friday.
     Capt. Johnston was Quartermaster at the Woodcote Park Camp. The body was conveyed on a gun-carriage covered with the Union Jack, and there were several mourning coaches, some hundreds of officers and men from the camp, a firing party and buglers, from the camp, a firing party and buglers, the procession being headed by the camp band. All along Hook-road soldiers stood two deep on either side and there were crowds of civilians at the cross roads on the route to the cemetery. A very large number of people waited in the cemetery.
     In the Nonconformist chapel Capt. Nobles conducted a service, and the Rev. H.A. Bowles, Vicar of Christ Church, who married Capt. Loch (sic) Johnston less than three months ago, read some of the prayers. Three volleys were fired over the grave, the Last Post was sounded by the buglers from the camp, and afterwards the band played 'Abide With Me'. Among the mourners were the widow and deceased's brother, Pte. Mortimer Johnston, who was a patient at the hospital when death occurred. There were many wreaths, including several from the camp and hospital, and one provided by the late officer's parents, who are in Canada.
Jonathan's father-in-law, of 1, High Street, Epsom, purchased grave D531 for Jonathan, who was buried on 8 November 1918 in Epsom Cemetery. Jonathan is not commemorated on any other Epsom war memorial.

His widow Muriel never remarried and travelled several times to Canada and the U.S.A. to visit her late husband's family before dying, aged 95, in North Shropshire in 1989: this seems to have been the area in which her brother Geoffrey lived.


Back to the index

JOLLIFFE Tom Donovan, Private. 10436.

2nd Battalion East Surrey Regiment
Killed in Action 24 May 1915, aged 25.

Toms's inscription on Panel 34 of the Menin Gate memorial
Toms's inscription on Panel 34 of the Menin Gate memorial
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2009

Tom Donovan Jolliffe was born in 1889 (GRO reference: Sep 1889 Epsom 2a 20) to Thomas and Elizabeth Ann Jolliffe (nee Reeve).

In the 1891 census the family lived at 2 Leith Cottage, Lintons Lane, Epsom. Tom's father, Thomas, was a 38 year old carpenter. His mother Elizabeth was also 38, and he had five older siblings, Edgar Thomas aged 12, Mary Helen aged 10, Harry Frederick aged 9, Daisy aged 6 and May aged 3.

Tom's two other siblings did not survive infancy. Grace Ethel was baptised on 5 December 1879, and buried on 13 December 1879, aged 7 weeks. Alice Rose was baptised on 28 April 1884, and buried on 14 May 1884, aged 5 weeks.

By 1901 the family lived at 18 Leith Road. Father Thomas was now described as a 48 year old joiner, and brother Harry as a 19 year old engine driver.

Tom's father died in 1909 and was buried on 9 October 1909 in Epsom cemetery plot F67A.

In 1911 Tom's 58 year-old widowed mother was recorded as head of the family, living at 18 Leith Road, Epsom. She had given birth to 8 children and 6 were still living. Tom aged 21, was a labourer, whilst his brother Harry, aged 29, was an engineer and his brother Edgar, aged 8 was still at school.

Tom was regular soldier, having joined the colours at Kingston on 12 April 1912, and signing on for 5 years with the colours and 7 on the reserve. He was 22 years and 10 months old, 5 feet 5 inches tall, weighed 130 lbs, had a chest measurement of 36½ inches with a 2½ inch expansion, and had perfect 6/6 vision in both eyes. His complexion was dark, his eyes were blue, his hair was black, he had tattoos on his right forearm, and three vaccination marks on his left arm. His pulse is recorded as 80. Before enlisting he had been a miller at Ewell mills. The Surrey Recruitment Register CD makes reference to 'R. Vallally W. Henderson, possibly employers at Ewell flour mills.

Tom's 'burnt' service papers have survived, and his attestation form tells us he had previously served as a Territorial with the 5th Battalion East Surrey Regiment.

Two types of conduct sheet have survived. His Regimental conduct sheet which has no entries, and his Company Conduct Sheet, which informs us that his religion was C of E, and that on 10 April 1914 he was granted a Good Conduct Badge and Proficiency Pay of 6d per day. He must have been a very good and sober soldier as there are no offences shown against him. He was also a first class shot.

His Army Form B. 2066 'Employment Sheet' tells that he was qualified as a signaller, and that his military character was very good. It also states that he was honest, sober, clean and hardworking. However, there was a slight blemish (perhaps only in the eyes of the early 20th century) on Tom's character. He did not marry, but on 1 July 1912 a magistrates order was issued requiring him to pay 4d per day to Miss Marian Wilson of 241, Vauxhall Bridge Road, towards the support of an illegitimate child he fathered, born on 20 December 1911. Did Tom join the Regular Army in the hope of evading his responsibility?

A brief history of Tom's service:
Depot, Kingston-Upon-Thames 10 April 1912 - 8 August 1912
Transfer to 1st Battalion, Kinsale, Ireland 9 August 1912 - 30 September 1913
King George V Hospital, Dublin. Sore throat 13 April 1913 - 18 April 1913
King George V Hospital, Dublin. Sore throat 23 April 1913 - 7 May 1913
Curragh. Sore throat 29 May 1913 - 4 June 1913
Transfer to 2nd Battalion, Dublin 30 September 1913 - 23 September 1913
India, Chaubattia 24 September 1913 - 15 November 1914
Inoculated against typhoid 27 November 1913
Good conduct badge 10 April 1914
Proficiency pay, 6d per day 10 April 1914
1st Class shot 10 May 1914
Transport ship Malda to Devonport 16 November 1914 - 23 December 1914
Devonport 23 December 1914
Winchester 24 December 1914
Embarked Southampton, s.s. Maidan, 6-30pm 18 January 1914
Le Havre, 85th Brigade, 28th Division 19 January 1915
Killed in Action 24 May 1915

On 24 May 1915 the Battalion were in trenches at Potijze, a mile or two east of Ypres. The following is an extract from the War Diary of 24 May:
About 3am the whole line held by the battalion was heavily gassed with asphyxiating gases and the right near the railway attacked. C Company on the right with two companies 8th Middlesex retired and no trace of the company (about 100 men) has yet been found (30.5.15). Enemy gained some trenches south of railway held by 3/ROYAL FUSILIERS. Enemy active on whole front but no further attack was made. Casualties. Other ranks killed 5 wounded 19 missing 157 suffering from gas poisoning 24. At dusk 3/Middlesex Regiment reinforced our right. Admitted to hospital suffering from gas Lieut O.M. James 2 Lieut L. Jones.
'Missing and wounded' is handwritten on Tom's 'Casualty Form - Active Service'. Typed underneath is 'To be regarded for official purposes as having died on or since 24 May 1915'. From the war diary extract quoted above, it seems likely that Tom was killed by poison gas. The 'Soldiers Died CD' shows 16 men from 2nd East Surreys killed in action on 24 May 1915.

The Army form, dated June 1919, detailing all Tom's living siblings, shows that two of his siblings, Harry and Daisy, had moved to Canterbury, New Zealand. Daisy having married Alfred Deadmarsh in 1906, and Harry having married Phoebe Deadmarsh in 1913. Edgar was living at 40, Middle Road, Epsom, Mary at 12, North View Villas, Ewell and May at East Hill House, Station Road, Epsom.

Tom was awarded the 1915 Star, the British War medal and the Victory medal.

The St Martin's Church Roll of Honour states that "TOM DONOVAN JOLLIFFE, after serving in the Territorial Force he joined the Regular Army in 1911. He was missing at Ypres and officially presumed killed in action on the 17th February 1915".

Tom's remains were never found, and he is commemorated on Panel 34 of the Menin Gate memorial.

Tom's mother lived at 12 North View Villas, Ewell, died in 1924 and was buried on 14 October in the same plot as her husband, F67A.


Back to the index

JONES Archibald Frank Percival, Private. 7876.

2nd Battalion South Lancashire Regiment.
Died of Wounds 7 September 1914, aged 29.

Archibald's headstone in the Perreuse Chateau Franco British National Cemetery
Archibald's headstone in the Perreuse Chateau Franco British National Cemetery
Images Courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2012

Archibald Frank Percival Jones was born in 1884 in Shepherds Bush (GRO reference: Sep 1884 Fulham 1a 247) to Frederick William and Annie Janet Jones (nee Preedy). His parents had married on 13 May 1882 in the parish church of St. James Norlands, Kensington.

Archibald's older brother Frederick John Benjamin was born on 7 April 1883 and baptised on 3 June in St. Andrew's church Holborn. The family at the time were living at 46 Great Marylebone. When Archibald was baptised on 11 January 1885, in St. Ann's church in Tottenham, they were living at 15 The Crescent. Their father's occupation was recorded as a clerk on both baptismal entries.

In the 1891 census Archibald was with his maternal grandparents, John and Mary Preedy at 123, Russell Road, Wimbledon. Grandfather John was a 68 year old tailor. Also living with the family John's sister-in- law Jane Jobson.

Ten years later in the 1901 census, Archibald appears with his widowed mother Annie J Jones, aged 42, and his 17 year old brother Frederick J who was a painter. Annie owned the grocers shop at 100 De Burgh Road Wimbledon, where Archibald worked as her assistant.

Archibald enlisted into the army on 19 December 1904 having been working as a woodwork machinist.

His whereabouts in the 1911 census is unknown but he was most likely abroad with the Army. His mother, working as a dressmaker, appeared on the census as living on her own at 63 Havelock Road, South Wimbledon.

Archibald's widowed mother remarried in 1913 to Richard Priestly and they lived at 29 South Street, Epsom.

Archibald had been a regular soldier and after serving his time with the colours he became a reservist. On the outbreak of war he was recalled, and joined the 2nd Battalion South Lancashire Regiment, which was in the 7th Brigade, 3rd Division. The Division landed at Le Havre on 14 August 1914 and fought in the famous retreat from Mons. He is reported to have died of wounds on 7 September 1914 whilst being treated by No.13 Field Ambulance, and is buried in Perreuse Chateau Franco British National Cemetery, about 38 milers east of Paris. The cemetery was used by French medical units throughout the First World War, the site having been given to the Government by the owner, Mme. Dumez. All the 150 Commonwealth burials of the First World War were brought in from the surrounding battlefields, so this would not have been Archibald's first resting place. Five men from the 2nd Battalion South Lancashire Regiment lost their lives on 7 September 1914.

Images of the Perreuse Chateau Franco British National Cemetery
Images of the Perreuse Chateau Franco British National Cemetery
Images of the Perreuse Chateau Franco British National Cemetery
Images of the Perreuse Chateau Franco British National Cemetery
Images of the Perreuse Chateau Franco British National Cemetery
Images of the Perreuse Chateau Franco British National Cemetery
Images Courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2012

De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour Part 3 has the simple entry "JONES, A.F.P., Private, No. 7876, 2nd Battn. The South Lancashire Regt.; served with the Expeditionary Force in France; died 7 Sept 1914."

Archibald was awarded the 1914 Star, British War medal and the Victory medal.

The St Martin's Church Roll of Honour states that: ARCHIBALD FRANK JONES, was an Army reservist and on the declaration of War he was recalled to the Colours. He was killed in action, in the retreat from Mons, on 7th September 1914.

The Soldier's Effects lists his mother as Mrs Annie Priestly and brother Frederick John Barron (sic) Jones, but then records Mrs Ethel Jane Priest as his sole legatee.

Archibald's 82-year-old mother Annie Janet Priestly, a widow again, died at 39 South Street, Epsom and was buried in Epsom Cemetery in grave M543 on 22 September 1941.


Back to the index

JONES George Albert, Private. 266178.

1/6th Battalion Suffolk Regiment.
Died 19 May 1917, aged 30.

Private George Jones's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard, Ewell
Private George Jones's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard, Ewell.
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2007

George Albert Jones was born on 8 July 1886 (GRO reference: Sep 1886 Guildford 2a 80) to George and Anna Jones (nee Mason). His parents had married in St. Mary's church in Ewell on 16 May 1885.

Name Born - Died Notes
George Albert Born: 8 July 1886 Guildford
Died: 19 May 1917 Ewell
Baptised 12 September 1886 St. John's church, Merrow.
Percy William Born: 1888 Guildford
Died: 22 December 1907
Baptised 18 March 1888 St. Luke's church, Burpham
Wilfred Born: 1889 Guildford
Died: 18 May 1910
Baptised 25 August 1889 St. Luke's church, Burpham
Lilian May Born: February 1894
Died: February 1894
Baptised 15 February 1894 St.Mary's church, Ewell. Buried St. Mary's aged 14 days
Dorothy Ellen Winifred Born: 1895 Ewell Baptised 7 April 1895 St. Mary's church Ewell
Bertram Arthur Born: 1898 Ewell
Died: 26 January 1915
Baptised 5 February 1899 St. Mary's church Ewell

In the 1891 census the family lived at the Horseshoe public house, London Road, Burpham, Guildford. George's father was a 'Brickmaker', and he had two brothers Percy William aged 3 and Wilfred aged 1.

On 16 May 1893 George, having previously attending Ewell Infants School, started at Ewell Boys School where the school records show that the family had moved to Gibraltar, Ewell. Another sister Lilian May was born but died after 14 days; she was buried in St. Mary's Ewell on 22 February 1894. George left school on 22 June 1898 to start work. His brothers Percy, Wilfred and Bertram Arthur also attended the same schools.

The 1901 census records that George's father was still a brick maker, whilst George Albert was a 14 year old 'General Labourer' and 13 year old brother Percy was a 'House Boy'. There was now a sister Dorothy Ellen Winifred aged 6, and another brother Bertram Arthur aged 2.

By 1915 George had lost four of his siblings. Sister Lilian May born in 1894 died aged 14 days, Percy was aged 19 when he died in 1907, Wilfred was aged 20 when he died in 1910 and Bertram was aged 15 when he died in 1915.

Aged 24 and still single, George was working as a 'Burner and Setter' in the brickfields when the 1911 census was taken. His 48-year-old father filled in the census form stating that he and his 46-year-old wife Anna had been married for 25 years and that 3 of their 6 children had died. Only George and his 12-year-old brother Bertram were living at home with their parents in West Street, Ewell. His sister Dorothy was working as a domestic servant in Croydon, Surrey.

George was a member of Ewell School Old Boys' Association in 1913-1914 and was living at Manor Cottage, West Street, Epsom.

George married Edith Simmons in the later part of 1914 in the Epsom registration district whilst still living at Manor Cottage. Their son Albert J. P. Jones was born in 1916.

George enlisted in Kingston and joined the Suffolk Regiment as a Private soldier with service number 3296. His service number was later changed to 266178, presumably when the Territorial Army was renumbered in 1917. As George's battalion, the 1st/6th (Cyclist) Battalion Suffolk Regiment, remained in the UK throughout the war he did not receive any medals.

George died on 19 May 1917 and is buried in St Mary's Churchyard, Ewell, NE part of old ground. The very weather worn headstone is inscribed:
In Ever loving memory of PERCY WILLIAM second son of George and Anna Jones who passed away Dec 22nd 1907 aged 19 years Also of WILFRED third son of the above who was called to rest May 18th 1910 in his 21st year Also of BERTRAM ARTHUR youngest son of the above who fell asleep January 26 1915 aged 16 years. Also of GEORGE ALBERT eldest son of the above and dearly beloved husband of Edith Jones was called away 19 May 1917 Aged 30 years Until the day breaks sleep.

Close up of Private George Jones's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard, Ewell
Close up of Private George Jones's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard, Ewell.
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2007


Back to the index

JOSEPH Sidney Herbert, Private. 11798.

8th Battalion East Surrey Regiment.
Killed in Action 5 May 1917, aged 28.

Sidney Joseph
Sidney Joseph
Image courtesy Sidney's granddaughter Linda Fewings © 2014.

Sidney Herbert Joseph was born on 5 February 1889 in Alfold, Surrey (GRO reference: Mar 1889 Hambledon 2a 162) to Frederick John and Mary Jane Joseph (nee Mills). Sidney's parents had married in 1876 in the Godstone registration district.

In the 1881 census, before Sidney was born, the family lived at 82, Barkworth Road, Camberwell. Sidney's father Frederick, was a 26 year old Baptist minister. His mother Mary was 24, and he had two siblings, Agnes aged 4 and Mary aged 2. Also living with them was Sidney's 61 year old widowed grandmother Mary Elizabeth Joseph.

NameBorn - DiedNotes
AgnesBorn: 1877 Godstone Surrey 
Mary JaneBorn: 1878 Ibstock Leicestershire
Died: Jun Quarter 1889
Ellen GraceBorn: 1881 London 
AliceBorn: 1884 London 
FrederickBorn: 1887 Alfold  
Sidney HerbertBorn: 5 February 1889 Alfold
Died: 5 May 1917 Arras
Albert EdwardBorn: 1893 Alfold
Died: 27 March 1918 Pozières
Served in the 9th Sussex regiment
ArchibaldBorn: 1895 Alfold
Died: 17 June 1916 Baileul
Served in the 9th Sussex regiment

By 1891 the family had moved to Star Cottage in Alfold, Surrey. Sidney's father was still a Baptist minister, but another three siblings had arrived, Ellen aged 10, Alice aged 7 and Frederick aged 4. Also living with them was Sidney's 38 year old aunt Agnes.

In 1901 the family were still living at Star Cottage, and Sidney's father was still a Baptist minister. Another two siblings had arrived, Albert Edward aged 8 and Archibald aged 6.

Aged 14, Sidney started work on 19 November 1903 as a booking clerk in Grange Road Station for the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. He received a pay raise of 1 shilling a week on 1 November 1905 making his weekly wages a total of 14 shillings. On 20 April 1906 he was transferred to Three Bridges Station and had a wage increase to 17 shillings a week. By 1907 he was earning £1 a week. On 11 February 1908 he was transferred to Epsom Railway Station where over the next five years he had an annual increase of 2 shillings a week.

In the 1911 census Sidney was recorded as a 22 year old railway clerk working for the 'L.B. Railway Co' (London and Brighton). He was a boarder at 4 Coronation Cottages, Wyeths Road, Epsom, the home of Charles Pearch. His family however, were living at Bedford Lodge, Dormans, East Grinstead, and his father was still working as a Baptist minister. His mother recorded that she had given birth to eight children and that seven were still living.

Sidney was a member of the Epsom Brotherhood, a Christian organisation dedicated to the moral welfare of local people. All men, irrespective of creed, politics or social position were welcomed into the Brotherhood, which had charitable aims, and carried out various projects in cooperation with Epsom local authority.

Sidney married Annie Ruth Pickard on 24 March 1913 at the Baptist church, Epsom whilst they were living at 55 East Street, Epsom, Surrey. By 1 October 1913, still working as a booking clerk in Epsom Railway Station, Sidney was earning £1 12s. 6d. Their daughter Violet Ruth was born 2 April 1914. Just over a year later, on 24 April 1915, Sidney resigned from his job.

Sidney attested in Kingston on 11 September 1915 into the 4th Battalion East Surrey regiment, a training and depot battalion. He was 5 feet 5 inches tall, weighed 147 lbs, had a chest measurement of 37½ inches with an expansion of 4½ inches, and was aged 26. He worked as a clerk and lived at 55, East Street.

Whilst Sidney was on war service, wife Annie was paid a separation allowance of 21 shillings per week, plus an allotment of pay of 3 shillings and 6 pence per week, making a total of 24 shillings and 6 pence per week. During their separation she withdrew her allowance whilst living at various addresses. She moved between 188, Hook Road, Epsom, 34, Poynter Road, Hove, and Broyle Cottage, Broyle Lane, Ringmer, Sussex, possibly spending time with relatives.

Sidney was transferred to the 8th Battalion on 18 February 1916 and disembarked in France on the next day. Their son Sidney Archibald was born eight months later on 25 October 1916. It is doubtful that Sidney ever saw his son. The 8th Battalion was in the 55th Brigade, 18th Division. On 3 May 1917 the 18th Division attacked Chérisy, a small village about 6 miles south east of Arras. The attack started at 3-45am in pitch darkness, which caused a great amount of confusion, as it was not possible to distinguish friend from foe. Neither was it possible for soldiers to stay with their own units, all becoming mixed together. Despite this the 8th East Surreys managed to capture the northern end of the village, and Olga Trench which was just over a mile east of Cherisy. Despite these early successes, German counter attacks regained all the territory taken and pushed the surviving East Surreys back to where they had started. The Soldiers Died CD tells us that 90 men from the 8th East Surreys were killed in action that day.

I believe that Sidney was one of those killed in action on 3 May, despite the CWGC, and Sidney's 'burnt' service papers both showing his date of death as 5 May 1917. His service papers have the following:
Wounded and missing. Death presumed by the War Office, on lapse of time having occurred on or since 5 May 1917. C.2 CAS. 2/493588/1. Dated 18-2-1918.
The 8th East Surrey war diary entry for 5 May reads:
The day was devoted to cleaning up arms and equipment etc. Companies held inspections of rifles, iron rations, Box Respirators etc. in the afternoon.
As there was no fighting on the 5th, and the Battalion was cleaning up in the relatively safe back area of Beaurains, I doubt Sidney was killed on the 5th. I believe that he was lost in action during the chaotic very early dawn attack of the 3rd. Presumably nobody actually saw him killed, and his body was never recovered. Some 9 months later the War Office accepted that he was dead and give an arbitrary date of death which I believe was 2 days after it actually occurred.

Sidney was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory medal. He is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the missing.

Sidney's Medals
Sidney's Medals
Image courtesy Sidney's granddaughter Linda Fewings © 2014.

Sidney's granddaughter, Linda Ruth Fewings (nee Reeves), gave us the information that two of Sidney's three brothers also died in the Great War. They are Albert Edward, born 1893, killed in action 27 March 1918, aged 24 and Archibald, born 1895 died of wounds 17 June 1916, aged 21. They both served in the 9th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment.

Sidney's inscription on the Arras Memorial to the missing
Sidney's inscription on the Arras Memorial to the missing
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2010.

The CWGC records all three brothers, but only the first to be killed, Archibald, has a record that provides 'Additional Information'. This states that he was the:
Son of Frederick John and Mary Jane Joseph, of The Manse, Harpole, Northampton. Native of Alfold, Horsham.

Sidney's name appears on the Epsom Brotherhood memorial and on the Ashley Road memorial, but neither of his brothers are commemorated in the Borough. Perhaps Albert Edward Joseph and Archibald Joseph, appear on other memorials somewhere in the UK?


Back to the index

Please Note: We believe that the information on this page is accurate however users should satisfy themselves that the information is correct before incurring any expense or undertaking any journeys. This is particularly important when purchasing certificates from other bodies, for example the General Register Office. You might like to use the following links to Freebmd and Find My Past (Links open in a new window).