Great War Memorials - Surnames E

Back to War Memorials Page
Back to War
Memorials Page


Click on the name to jump to the relevant entry

EINCHCOMB, George William (Revised 11/12/2017)
ELDERTON, Fothergill Rex (Benny) (Revised 26/09/2010)
ELEY, Samuel George (Revised 01/08/2018)
ELLIOT, William Herbert (New 27/06/2010)
ELLIS, Henry David (Revised 25/10/2018)
ELSON, William (Revised 18/10/2018)
ENGLAND, Arthur Joseph Edward (Updated 17/07/2011)
ENGLAND, William George (Updated 22/03/2014)
ENGLISH, Frederick Percy (Revised 11/02/2015)
ETHERIDGE, David (New 19/09/2016)
EVERETT, W.T (Updated 03/06/2013)
If you are looking for someone whose name starts with a different letter please try:




EINCHCOMB George William, Air Mechanic (2nd Class)

Royal Flying Corps.
Died 9 December 1917, aged 42

George's headstone in Ashley Road Cemetery
George's headstone in Ashley Road Cemetery
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2009

George William Einchcomb was born in Gillingham, Kent in 1875 (GRO reference: Mar 1875 Medway 2a 489), the eldest child of William James and Sarah Anne Einchcomb (nee Rowe). His parents had married in 1874 in the Medway District.

In the 1881 census the family was living at 134, Trafalgar Road, Gillingham, Kent. George's 32 year old father was a ships joiner, his mother was aged 35 and he had three siblings, Charles aged 4, Florence E. aged 2 and William James aged 1.

Name Born - Died
George William Born: 1875 New Brompton Kent
Died: 9 December 1917 Epsom
Charles Born: 1876 Gillingham Kent
Florence E Born: 1878 Gillingham Kent
William James Born: 1880 Gillingham Kent
Died: 1889 Medway district Kent
Alfred Born: 1881 Gillingham Kent
Frank Born: 1883 Gillingham Kent
Sarah Ann Born: 1885 Gillingham Kent
Elizabeth Born: 1887 Gillingham Kent
Ethel Born: 1888 Gillingham Kent

George was a 16 year old apprentice printer when the 1891 census was taken. He was living at 64, Trafalgar Street, Gillingham with his parents and younger siblings Charles aged 14, Florence aged 12, Frank aged 7, Sarah aged 5, Elizabeth aged 3 and Ethel aged 2. His father worked as a joiner.

On 25 August 1900 George, aged 25, married Charlotte Mary Howell, a 24 year old spinster, at St John the Evangelist church, Kilburn Middlesex. He was living at 31, Belmont Road, New Brompton, and was a printer by trade. His brother Charles, and Alice Maud Howell were their witnesses.

The following year, when the 1901 census was taken, the newly married couple were living in 138, Fernhead Road, Paddington, and George's occupation was noted as a printer's overseer.

In May 1910, after almost ten years of marriage, they had a daughter who they named Doris Mary. Unfortunately Doris was destined to lead a very short life and died aged 2 in the isolation hospital, Epsom. She was buried in plot A452, Epsom cemetery on 17 February 1913.

In the 1911 census George and Charlotte were living at 10, Upper Court Road, Epsom. George was working as a printer's machine minder.

Their second daughter Muriel was born on 14 April 1915 in Epsom.

George's attestation form shows that he signed up into the Royal Flying Corps, at Whitehall on 5 May 1916, stating that he lived at 8, Maisonette, Manor Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, and that he was a 41 year old British subject who worked as a printer. His service number was 27859 (but in later documents appears to be 27867). He was stationed in the Recruits Depot (RD) at Farnborough, and attained the rank of 2nd class air mechanic

His descriptive report on enlistment shows that he was 5 feet 4¼ inches tall and had a chest measurement of 33 inches with an expansion of 3 inches. His gave next of kin as his wife Charlotte and that his only child was daughter Muriel.

George's medical report dated 20 April 1917, states that he was suffering from 'sub acute combined degeneration' (see footnote), which originated on 1 July 1916 at the Farnborough camp. He was described as:
Poorly nourished, pale and anaemic. Motor loss, active reflexes. External planus responses. Incontinence of urine. Bedridden ataxia. Not caused but aggravated by ordinary military services. Permanent. Total.
George was discharged, having never served abroad, a year and seven days later on 11 May 1917, as permanently unfit for war service and was issued 'Silver War Badge For Services Rendered', number 185091. As he did not serve overseas he was not awarded any medals. His papers record that his home address was then 17, Hook Road, Epsom. His character was described as 'Good'. He was given a weekly pension of 27/6, plus 5/-allowance for his only child.

George died before the end of the year on 9 December 1917, aged 42, in the Workhouse Infirmary Epsom. He was buried on 14 December 1917 in plot A452 Epsom cemetery, the same plot that his daughter Doris had been buried in.

Footnote: Sub acute combined degeneration (of the spinal cord) is a neurological disorder complicated by a vitamin B12 deficiency and pernicious anaemia. There is selective damage to both motor and sensory nerve fibres of the spinal cord resulting in spasticity of limbs and shaky movements and gait (ataxia). It may also be accompanied by damage to the peripheral nerves, the optic nerve and dementia. Modern treatment is with vitamin B12 jabs (but this only became available in the late 1920s) which if started early enough, stops the condition from progressing any further. George may also have had undiagnosed gluten intolerance which would also explain some of the other conditions. As army food would probably contain a lot of bread it would have aggravated his condition.


Back to the index

ELDERTON Fothergill Rex (Benny), Lieutenant.

2nd Bn, Royal Warwickshire Regt.
Killed in Action 25 September 1915, aged 23

Newspaper photograph of Fothergill Rex (Benny) Elderton
Newspaper photograph of Fothergill Rex (Benny) Elderton

Benny Elderton's inscription on the Loos Memorial, France
Benny Elderton's inscriptionon the Loos Memorial, France
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2008

Fothergill or "Benny" as he was known was born on 8 May 1892, (GRO reference: June 1892 Kingston 2a 354) at 4, Uxbridge Road, Kingston on Thames. It is possible that this was a nursing home. He was the third child and only son of Charles Robert Elderton and Clara Hunton (nee Batho).

In 1891 the family was living at Hungerford, Beaufort Road, Kingston on Thames, although Clara was staying with her brother in law Frederick Elderton at Kings Norton Worcestershire. There were two daughters, Gladys Hattie Prescott Elderton, aged 5 who had been born in Calcutta, India, and Lois Caroline aged 1. Charles was a 34 year old shipping agent and insurance broker.

By 1901 the family lived at 29, Arthur Road, Erdington, Warwickshire. The family consisted of Benny's mother Clara, the 39 year old head of the family, sisters Gladys and Lois, and Benny. They employed Mary Ashton to cook for them.

In 1911 Benny now 18 and an engineering student, lived at Pit Cottage, Epsom with his mother Clara, who is earned her living as an insurance agent working from home on her own account.

Benny was educated at the Grange, Matfield, Kent and at Epsom College. He was a good all round athlete. After matriculating he attended the City and Guilds Engineering College in South Kensington (later to become part of Imperial College, London University) to train as an engineer. He undertook a three year course in civil and mechanical engineering, and was experienced in working with internal combustion engines. He was an engineer in the London University Officer Training Corps, and was a candidate for a commission in the Regular Army. He spent a year in workshops in Switzerland where he won the hurdles race and was second in the high jump at the International Sports meeting in Zurich a fortnight before war broke out. He returned home and four days afterwards was gazetted to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. At Christmas 1914 he went to the front and fought at La Bassée, Aubers Ridge, Givenchy and Festubert.

When he attested for war service in 1914 he was 22 years old, 6 feet ¾ inches tall, had a 34 inch chest with a 3 inch expansion. He weighed 145lbs with good vision, hearing and teeth and was classed as fit. He was of good moral character. He was a qualified marksman, having shot at Bisley 1908 and 1909. He was also able to ride. He expressed a desire to serve in the infantry, and initially joined the 3rd Battalion Warwickshire Regiment, a training Battalion that stayed in the UK for the duration of the war. He later served with the 2nd battalion which was in the 22nd Brigade, 7th Division.

In September 1914 he was stationed at Parkhurst. His commission appeared in the London Gazette 11 Sept 1914. On 30 Dec 1914 he applied to go into the Royal Flying Corps (RFC). He was 22yrs 8mths, weighed 11st 2lb, was certified fit, and placed on the RFC waiting list. He expected to be gazetted in September had he not been killed. He was proficient in map reading and sketching. He was promoted Lieutenant in February.

The family lived at several addresses: Matfield, Worple Road, Epsom; in 1909 Pit Cottage, Epsom. Later the family had another house they called Hungerford at Alexandra Road, Epsom.

He was mentioned in despatches, fought at Neuve Chappelle, Aubers Ridge, La Bassée and Festubert, and was killed on the first day of the battle of Loos, at or near The Quarries, Artois in on 25 September 1915 aged 23. He was unmarried. A telegram dated 1 October 1915 announced his death "Deeply regret to inform you that Lt Elderton of Royal Warwickshire Regiment was killed in action between 25/26 September. Lord Kitchener expresses his sympathy." There is no record of his body being discovered. At the time of his death he was serving with the 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment. On 25th September 1915, one hundred and fifty five men and 8 officers from the 2nd Warwicks lost their lives.

The following is an extract from the Battalion War Diary for 25 September 1915:
In the Trenches /25th/5.50am/ our bombardment ceased. Our advance commenced at 6.30am. took German front line trench then support trench then on to The Quarries as far as St Elie. Captured about 60 prisoners; arrived at this position at 9.30am. Kept to it till after dark when we had to retire owing to the 9th Division on our left retiring. Occupied "Quarries" until midnight when we took up a position in the support trench 400 yards west of the "Quarries". Up to this time the following officers were killed
Lt Col BP Lefroy DSO (died of wounds). Capt NHL Matear, Lieut FA Elderton, Lieut HE Edwards, Lieut J Pennington, Lieut JFO Mansergh, Lt KM Gaunt, 2Lieut TE Newsome,
and the following were wounded
Capt JP Burke, Capt LR Swinkre, Capt JS Knyvett, Lieut RF Richardson, 2Lieut BG Hill, 2Lieut SWW Cannon, 2Lieut N Allen, 2Lieut EW Blenkining, 2Liuet PH Fumer.
Missing. 2Lieut PHW Herbage.

Other ranks:-
Killed 64
Wounded 171
Missing 273
The Battalion could only muster (1) officer and 140men.

His military effects included a writing pad, photos, 1 cheque book, a pocket book "Where is it?"and £79 14s 10d, These, were sent via Cox and Co Army Shipping agents 16 Charing Cross, London to his mother at Pendoylon, Ashley Road, Epsom. She also received the War Service Plaque and Seal. His sisters Gladys Hattie Prescott Elderton and Lois Caroline Elderton were his executors and his estate was valued at £547 1s 5d.

The following appeared in the St Martin's Church Parish Magazine:

Lieutenant Fothergill Rex Elderton, 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment, who was killed in France while "nobly leading his men" on September 25th, aged twenty-three, was the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles R. Elderton, of Pendoylon, Epsom. He was educated at Epsom College and was in engineering works in Switzerland when war was declared. He returned to England by the first train to get through, a journey which took five days, during the whole of which time he was standing, the train being so full that no seat could be found. Within a quarter of an hour of his arrival at Waterloo, he was at the War Office. Four days later he received his commission in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. At Christmas he was sent to the front, and took part in the actions at Neuve Chapelle, La Bassée, Aubers Ridge, Givenchy, and Festubert. He was mentioned in despatches for the way he led his bombers into action on Sept. 25th at Loos. A brother officer writes, "Had he lived I feel sure he would also have appeared in the Honours List.'' He was promoted in February and was on the waiting list for the Royal Flying Corps, to which he expected to be gazetted in October. A good all-round athlete, he won the high jump at Epsom College, also at the Queen's Club while training at the Central Technical College for engineering at Kensington, and about a fortnight before war broke out he won the hurdles and was second in the high jump at the International Sports at Zurich. He was a member of the Epsom golf, cricket and hockey clubs, and a very fine swimmer. It is interesting to note that he was the only male representative of his generation of one branch of an old family whose arms are to be found on Magna Charta.

Benny Elderton was a thorough sportsman, full of keenness, and very popular. In his last engagement he was in the front row of the bombers, and a friend who saw him the day before the attack heard him say how 'pleased he was at having a front seat. He was the first over the parapet of the second German trench, and it was as he turned smiling with a "Come on boys, don't hang back," that he fell. Alas! there is no record of his burial place, but his near relatives are giving a Sanctuary Lamp to the Church, as a Memorial of his brave young life.
The lamp will symbolise the undying light of sacrifice, accepted before the Altar, on which is memoralised that Sacrifice, which is the Light of the World, illuminating with its radiance and inspiring with its fire, all that readiness to die, which is the glory of our sons and brothers. R.I.P.
The Epsom and Ewell Advertiser for 11 February 1916. carried the following report:
Elderton. Parish church sanctuary lamp. "I understand that the Vicar and churchwardens have been authorised to apply for a faculty for placing in the Parish Church a sanctuary lamp, presented as a memorial to Lieut. Fothergill Rex Elderton, who lost his life in France on the 25th September last whilst bravely leading his men."
The St Martin's Church Book of Remembrance has an entry for 'Benny' in recognition of the gift of a 'Sanctuary Lamp' given in his honour. The entry reads as follows:
FOTHERGILL REX ELDERTON. The Sanctuary Lamp was given in proud and loving memory of Lieut: Fothergill Rex (Benny) Elderton, the only and very dearly loved son of Charles Robert and Clara Hunton Elderton of Pendoylon, Epsom. He was educated at Matfield Grange, Kent, Epsom College, and the College of Engineering, Kensington (Lond:Univ). He joined H.M. Forces on Sept. 12th 1914, and served with the 2nd Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt. Taking part in the battles of Neuve Chappelle, Aubers Ridge, La Bassée, and Festubert, and was killed at Loos on Sept. 25th 1915, in his 24th year. He was mentioned in despatches for gallant and distinguished service in the field.
His entry in the St Martin's church Roll of Honour states that:
FOTHERGILL REX ELDERTON, whose career is recorded in earlier pages of this book was killed at Loos on the 25th Sept 1915. He was mentioned in dispatches.
Fothergill Rex Elderton is listed on the Loos Memorial, France. His name also appears on the Ashley Road Epsom, the Epsom College and St Martin's Church Epsom Memorials.


Back to the index

ELEY Samuel George, Private. 81734.

9th Battalion Machine Gun Corps (MGC).
Killed in Action 19 July 1918, aged 20.

Samuel's inscription on the Ploegsteert Memorial to the missing
Samuel's inscription on the Ploegsteert Memorial to the missing
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2010

Samuel George Eley was born in 1897 (GRO reference: Dec 1897 Epsom 2a 22) to Samuel James and Elizabeth Mary Eley (nee Cannings). Samuel's parents were married on 24 February 1894 in St. Martin of Tours Church, Epsom. Samuel was baptised in the same church as 'Samuel George Cannings' on 16 January 1898.

In the 1901 census the family lived at 11 Alexandra Cottages, Church Road, Epsom. Samuel's father, also Samuel was a 31 year old gardener working at a nursery. His mother was aged 32, and he had a sister, Doris Elizabeth Thyrsa aged 6. Also living with them was 20 year old postman, Edward White. The family name on the census form is spelt Ealey.

In 1911 the family were living at 11 Alexandra Cottages, Wyeths Road, Epsom. Samuel's father was now working as a gas fitter. Doris was working as a 16 year old domestic servant for a stockbroker in Burgh Heath Road. Entered on the census form as Ely.

Note: Samuel's sister Doris married Alfred Percival (known as Percy) Randall in 1922 in the Steyning registration district, and lived in Albert Road, Epsom. Percy served from 10 December 1915 in the East Surrey Regiment and later the Labour Corps. He received shrapnel wounds to his legs and was invalided out of the army on 16 August 1918, and given Silver War Badge number 433104, for Services Rendered. Percy lived with shrapnel embedded in his legs for the rest of his days and was bed ridden towards his life. Percy died on 26 July 1981 aged 96 and his wife Doris died on 29 March 1984, aged 89.

Samuel attested in Kingston on 11 January 1916 into to the 5th battalion London Regiment (London Rifle Brigade, LRB), giving has age as 18 years and 1 month. He was 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighed 117 lbs and had a chest measurement of 33½ inches with an expansion of 3 inches. He worked as a plumber's apprentice, lived at 4, Rosendale Road, Epsom, and his religion was C of E. Samuel was then placed on the reserve to await mobilisation.

On 1 September1916 he was mobilised as Rifleman 5667 in the LRB. However, his time with the LRB was short lived as he was transferred to the MGC on 30 November 1916. He went to Boulogne via Folkestone on 14 May 1917 and joined the MGC base depot in Camiers on 15 May 1917. On 18 February 1918 he forfeited 3 days pay for being dirty on parade. On 17 June 1917 he was transferred to 27 Company MGC, then again back to the Base Depot on 19 April 1918, and finally on 1 May 1918 was transferred to the 9th Battalion MGC, part of the 9th (Scottish) Division.

Samuel was killed in action on 19 July 1918 whilst attacking the small French village of Meteren, about 10 miles south east of Ypres. Meteren was briefly occupied by the Germans early in October 1914 but was recaptured by British forces on 13 October. The village remained in Allied hands until the German offensive of April 1918, being lost on the 16 April. French troops held the sector for a time, but on 19 July, the 9th (Scottish) Division was part of a force that recovered the site of the village, which had been completely destroyed after a fortnight's bombardment.

Samuel has no known grave and is commemorated on the Ploegsteert Memorial to the missing.

The Epsom Advertiser dated 30 August 1918 had the following:
DIED FOR HIS COUNTRY. - Pte. S.G. Eley, only son of Mr S.J. Eley, Rosendale-road, has been killed in action. Deceased at the time he joined up was Assistant Scoutmaster at Epsom, and was a member of the Rifle Club. He was a crack shot and at the last competitive meeting held by the club he won three first prizes and one second. He entered the London Rifle Brigade in September, 1916, and was in the Machine Gun Corps at the time he met with his death. The young soldier, who was a lad of much promise, was 20 years of age.
Samuel is also remembered on his parent's grave
Samuel is also remembered on his parent's grave
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2010

Samuel is also remembered on his parents' grave, plot A282A Epsom Cemetery. His mother died on 13 April 1936, aged 67, but his father lived another 21 years, dying on 7 November 1957, aged 87. The headstone reads:
In ever loving memory of Samuel George Eley MGC. Formerly Asst. Scout Master. Dearly loved only son of S & E Eley who was killed in action near Meteren July 19th 1918 aged 20 years. UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN.
Also buried in plot A282A, on 17 November 1927, is the still born child of Sidney's sister Doris Randall.

The St Martin's Church Roll of Honour states that "SAMUEL GEORGE ELEY, was killed in action in France on the 19th July 1918. He had been a boy Scout and a member of the Epsom Rifle Club".

Samuel was awarded the British War medal and the Victory medal.


Back to the index

ELLIOT William Herbert, Gunner. L/26286.

'D' Battery, 173rd Brigade Royal Field Artillery.
Died of Wounds 2 March 1917, aged 18.

William Elliot
William Elliot
Image courtesy of Peter Collins Sutton Grammar School Archavist

William Herbert Elliot was born in 1899 in Wandsworth (GRO reference: Mar 1899 Wandsworth 1d 651) to Henry Strube and Ada Elliot (nee Trent). His parents were married in 1895 in the Portsea registration district.

In the 1901 census the family lived at 120, Sugden Road, Battersea. William's father was a 28 year old 'Superintendent Goods Receiver'. His mother was 30, and he had four siblings, Henry Charles aged 4, Donald Stuart aged 3, and 3 month old twins Ralph and Eva Mary. Also living with them were Ada's sister Annie and brother Harry.

On 22 July 1903 William, his brothers Donald Stuart and Ralph, and is sister Eva Mary were all baptised at St Luke's church, Battersea. They were living at 23, Gayville Road, and William's father worked as a clerk.

By 1911 the family had moved to 'Ecclesbourne', 51, Church Road, Epsom. William's father worked at the Long Grove Asylum as a steward. Presumably they moved to Epsom to be nearer the asylum.

Because William's service records have not survived little detail of his service is known. However, on 2 March 1917, the day he died of wounds, he was serving in 'D' Battery, 173rd Brigade Royal Field Artillery, which was part to the 36th Division. William is buried in plot III. A. 7. Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension. The French town of Bailleul is about 9 miles south east of Ypres, and was an important hospital centre. It is most likely that William was killed by a shell from German artillery.

William's headstone in Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension
William's headstone in Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2010

From William's medal card we see he was awarded the 1914 - 1915 Star, the British War medal and the Victory medal, and that he first went to France on 27 November 1915. As his birth was registered in the March quarter of 1899, he would have only been 16 at the time.

William attended Sutton Grammar school. The following is an extract from the school magazine, 'The Suttonian':
Was at the school from 1911 to 1914. He Joined the RFA in May 1915 and crossed to France in the November following. On March 2nd he was severely wounded in the right thigh, and, after an operation the same day, he succumbed through loss of blood.

The St Martin's church Roll of Honour states that 'WILLIAM HERBERT ELLIOT, on the 2nd March 1917, he was wounded at Ypres and died on the same day. He was buried in Bailleul Military Cemetery'.

He is also remembered on the Sutton Grammar School War Memorial.


Back to the index

ELLIS Henry David, Company Sergeant Major. 161809.

Labour Corps. (Formerly No. 2945 Essex Regiment).
Died 18 October 1918, aged 49.

Henry's headstone in the CWGC plot in Epsom cemetery
Henry's headstone in the CWGC plot in Epsom Cemetery
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2010

Henry David Ellis, the son of Henry David and Margaret/May Ellis, was born on Valentine's Day 1869 in Templemore, County Tipperary, Ireland. However he was registered at birth as David Henry. His father had married Margaret Ryan in 1868 in the registration district of Thurles, Ireland, which covers Templemore.

Henry's brother Michael Thomas was born exactly a year later on 14 February 1870 in Glendermot, Derry, Ireland but died shortly afterwards.

I have been unable to find any UK or Irish 1901 census records.

The Royal Hospital, Chelsea administered the distribution of British army pensions for soldiers who had served for a minimum of 12 years. Henry, a Colour Sergeant, No 898 with the Essex Regiment, appears in the hospital records. He was admitted on 7 May 1908 and discharged on 14 May 1908, presumably to become an 'out pensioner'.

Aged 42 in 1911, Henry was still unmarried and was boarding at 21 Maiden Lane, Covent Garden, London W. C. where, along with several others, he was recorded as being an army pensioner. (Number 21 Maiden Lane was the birthplace in 1775 of the artist J.W. Turner and, up until 1907, a Jewish synagogue. Source: Henry was working as a clerk and messenger for the Renard Transport Company, which went into liquidation the following year (London Gazette 2 July 1912).

On 13 November 1916 Henry was initiated into the Ebbisham Lodge of the Freemasons in Epsom. His address was recorded as being '419 Strand WC', and he was described as a soldier.

Henry died from illness in the Horton War Hospital, Epsom on 18 October 1918 and three days later was buried in grave B185A in Epsom Cemetery. The grave was purchased by a William Henry Hicks of Temple Road Epsom for £1-11s-6d. (William Henry Hicks was recorded in the 1911 census as being a hairdresser who lived with his wife Emma and their five children at 'Holydene', Temple Road, Epsom.) Why William Hicks bought a grave space for Henry is unknown. Most of the men who died in the Horton War hospital were buried in the CWGC plot in Epsom Cemetery and are commemorated on the Screen Wall in front of the plot, whereas Henry has an individual CWGC headstone.

Administration of Henry's effects valued at £1,192-0s-10d. was granted to the solicitor of H.M. Treasury, but not until almost four years later on 4 September 1922. Henry's last known address was recorded as 40 Buncehall Road, Peckham, Surrey, which appears to no longer exist.

No record of medals issued has been found, which would suggest that Henry remained in the UK during the war.


Back to the index

ELSON William, Private. 203754.

1/5th Battalion East Surrey Regiment.
Died of Wounds 18 October 1918, aged 27.

William Elson was born on 25th June 1891 (GRO Sep 1891 Epsom 2a 21) and was baptised at St Mary the Virgin Church, Ewell, on 2 August 1891. His parents William (cowman) and Amelia Sarah Elson (nee Churcher) had married in the same church on 15 February 1891. Following their marriage they lived with William's brother-in-law, Richard and sister Mary Carr, in Ernest Cottages, Kingston Road, Ewell.

William had three full siblings, George born 3 April 1893, Edward Joseph born 3 September 1894 (died 1897) and Frank born 9 January 1896.

William's mother died at the early age of 27 and was buried on 22 March 1898 in St. Mary the Virgin churchyard. His father remarried Alice Ada Edwards in the September quarter 1898, and William junior acquired another ten half siblings. Thanks to his niece Pat Howard for this information.

William attended Ewell Boys School between 29 August 1898 and 19 June 1905 when he left at the age of 14 to work in a flour mill.

The 1901 census shows William, a scholar, living in Kingston Road near the 'Jolly Waggoners' pub (now demolished). His 71 year old widowed grandmother, Mary Elson was the head of the family and her occupation was shown as 'General work Char'. Also living with her was her 18 year old grandson Alfred Budd who is recorded as a 'Labourer general' and her 13 year old granddaughter Bessie Smith, a 'scholar'.

When the 1911 census was taken, on the night of 2 April, William, aged 19, was still living with his grandmother Mary, at the same address. William was recorded as her son and that he was working as a labourer contractor. No others were recorded at the address.

William married Emma Garrood on 28 July 1912 in St. Etheldreda's Church, Fulham.

William was a member of Ewell Old Boys' Association between 1913-1914 and was living in Mill Lane at this time. His daughter Eva Mary was born on 17 February 1914.

Mill Lane in 2006
Mill Lane in 2006
Copyright image courtesy of Clive Gilbert 2006

William attested at Epsom on 12 December 1915 aged 24, signed on for the duration of the war, and joined the 3/6 battalion East Surrey Regiment. His 'burnt' papers show him as being married, and a lime burner living in Chalk Pit Cottage, Ewell. This had been crossed out and replaced by 2 Bankside Cottages, Kingston Road. He was 5 feet 4½ inches tall, weighed 126 lbs, with a chest measurement of 37 inches and an expansion of 3 inches. He had three vaccination marks, and his sight was 6/6 perfect in both eyes. It was noted that he needed dental treatment. His physical development was shown as fair, but this was crossed out and amended to "good". A distinguishing mark was a scar on the knuckle of the forefinger on his left hand.

He was initially placed on the army reserve and not mobilised until 24 July 1916 when he was posted to the 6 Battalion East Surreys, with the army number of 4825. Then on 23 December 1916, he was part of a draft of 99 other ranks posted to the 1/5th Battalion, under the command of Lieut W.R. Taylor. His army number then changed to 203754. At that time the Battalion was stationed in the north west frontier of India at Nowshera, but William did not arrive in India until 3 March 1917. Three days after his arrival, on 6 March 1917, his daughter Dorothy Annie was born.

In April 1917 the Battalion moved to Muttra. Whilst there William, suffering with 'Boils', was admitted to hospital on 30 November and discharged on 7 December. The Battalion received orders on 5 November 1917 to prepare for service with Force "D" of the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force.

William left Muttra on 19 December 1917 for Bombay, and embarked on HMT Egra on 21 December. Christmas Day was spent on board in the Persian Gulf as the battalion did not disembark at Busrah until 27 December 1917. The 1/5th were in the 55th Brigade, 18th Division.

Quoting from the East Surrey Regimental History Page 29:
"On 7 Jan 1918, the Battalion entrained for Amara where it remained until the end of the month. The first days of February were spent on board the river steamer P21 and two flats lashed alongside of her, en route for Baghdad. On reaching that city the Battalion joined the 55th Infantry Brigade of the 18th Division, the other units of the Brigade being the 10th Jats, 94th (Russell's) Infantry, the 116th Mahrattas and the 239th Machine Gun Company."
Another Ewell man in the 1/5 died during this period, CSM Edward Talbot Bowman

They stayed for three weeks in Baghdad, which was frequently visited by hostile aircraft, before marching to Samarra on the river Tigris, about 70 miles north west of Baghdad.

British operations were now commencing on the river Euphrates, resulting in the capture of Ana, and about 3,000 Turkish prisoners. To prevent reinforcements reaching the Turks, British forces were sent up the left and right bank of the Tigris, to Tikrit, some 35 miles north of Samarra. William formed part of the force on the left bank. However, no enemy were encountered, and by April they were withdrawn to Samarra, where they spent the rest of summer. During the summer months of 1918 they were employed in the construction of a road along the right bank of the Tigris to Tikrit. In the great heat this was arduous and exhausting work.

On 7 July 1918 William was admitted to hospital for a week suffering with 'Sand fly fever'.

Between 1 October and 9 October 1918 he was temporally attached to the 239 Machine Gun Corps..

On the 11 October they marched out of Samarra, up the left bank of the river Tigris and by the 13 had reached a point opposite Tikrit to take part in the final operation against the Turks.

Quoting from the East Surrey Regimental History:
"Three days later the scouts of the battalion, under Lieut. F.V. Freeborn, pushed forward some 25 miles to a nullah opposite Laq-Laq Island, from which position they carried out useful reconnaissances, frequently under hostile fire."
William was admitted to hospital on the 18 October 1918 suffering 'Bomb Wounds to his Neck, Chest and Leg', wounds from which he died. He was the only man from the battalion to be killed in Mesopotamia between 1 August and 18 October 1918, and is commemorated on the Basra Memorial to the missing.

The Epsom Advertiser dated 16 November 1917 reported that 'Mr Elson's son, William had been killed.' But as William was not killed until 18 October 1918 this must have been a mistake.

One of the few surviving forms held on micro film at the National Archives states that his wife Emma of 2 Bankside, Kingston Road, Ewell was to receive 29 shillings (£1-45 pence) 'Separation Allowance and an allocation of pay from 29 September 1917 to **** (unreadable) 1918. On the form it had been noted 'Not yet received 11/11/18', and had been stamped by the 'Surrey T.F. Association 84 Ecclestone Square, SW1. The Army Register of Soldier's Effects record that Emma was his sole legatee.

William's effects were sent to his widow at 2 Bankside Cottages, Kingston Road on 15 September 1920. They consisted of a wallet, some photos, some letters and a diary. She acknowledged receipt on 17 September.

Finally, William's British War Medal and the Victory medal were issued to his widow, and she signed a receipt for them on 21 July 1921.


Back to the index

ENGLAND Arthur Joseph Edward, Private. 4709.

14th Battalion London Regiment (London Scottish).
Died of wounds 2 October 1915, aged 19

Arthur's headstone in Etaples military cemetery, France
Arthur's headstone in Etaples military cemetery, France
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2012

Shoreham College Roll of Honour - click to enlarge
Shoreham College Roll of Honour - Click to enlarge
Image Courtesy of © 2009

Arthur Joseph Edward England was born in 1896 (GRO reference: Mar 1896 Westminster 1a 500) to Joseph and Hester Henrietta England, (nee Hill).

Arthur's parents married in 1894 (GRO: Dec 1894 Westminster 1a 988). This was to be a short marriage as Henrietta Hester is recorded as dying on 15 April 1900 in Epsom. There are two records for her; one in St Martin's parish records that states that she was buried on 21 April 1900 and one at Epsom Cemetery Ashley Road, in plot number A167A, with the same date plus the information that she was the 31 year old wife of Joseph England. Also, found later on 31 October 1900, is a 'purchaser of grave number A167A, Joseph England, an ex police constable'. Note: This is the only record found mentioning the police.

In the 1901 census Arthur, aged 5 was living with his widower father Joseph in Ladas Gate Ashley Road Epsom Surrey. His father was noted as a 31 year old watchmaker from Somerset. Later in 1901 Joseph married Lizzie Nicholson in the registration district of Paddington.

In 1908 Arthur attended Shoreham College (, which was located on the Sussex coast between Brighton and Worthing, and in 1912 obtained a Second Class Pass in London University Matriculation.

In the 1911 census Arthur appears as a 15 year old pupil at Shoreham. Arthur's father, now a 42 year old insurance broker, was living with his second wife Lizzie at 53, Lambton Road, Wimbledon. Arthur had two half siblings, Marjorie aged 8 and John aged 1. The family employed one servant.

Arthur signed up as a volunteer into the 14th Battalion London Regiment (London Scottish), at their HQ in Westminster in April 1915 after having paid the annual subscription fee of £1 for the privilege of membership. He was given the number 4709 and assigned to the Regiment's 3rd Battalion for training.

After training he was transferred to the 1/14th Battalion London Regiment (London Scottish), which at the time was in the 1st Brigade of 1st Division. On 17 August 1915 Arthur was sent to France, most likely as a reinforcement draft in preparation for the battle of Loos. The Loos area of France was a coal mining centre, and therefore had many slag heaps (Fosses to the French), and pit heads with winding gear very prominent. The villages around comprised mainly of small miners cottages.

The battle of Loos commenced at 5-30am on 25 September 1915 with an artillery barrage. Poison gas was also released for the first time by the British, but to have the desired effect the wind needed to be in the right direction, blowing towards the enemy. Alas, this did not happen all along the front, and on the 1st Division front the gas hung over no mans land and in a few places it drifted back over British lines. The 1st Division's area of attack was from the Vermelles-Hulluch road in the north to a point just north of Loos. The infantry advance commenced at 7-30am, but the London Scottish were in support, part of a group called 'Green's force' and went forward later, but suffered many casualties from rifle fire in doing so. Green's force was to maintain communication between the 1st and 2nd Brigades.

Early in the afternoon Green's force was ordered to attack at a point known as the Lone Tree but were stopped by an intact belt of barbed wire. Then, instead of a frontal attack a flank attack was tried and this resulted in the unexpected surrender of some 600 German troops. The battle continued for the Scots until about 3am on the 26th when they were ordered back.

Thirty one London Scottish are recorded as having been killed in Action on 25th September, and a further 18 as dying of wounds between 25 September and 2 October.

Arthur died of wounds on 2 October 1915 and is buried in plot III. B. 2A at Etaples Military Cemetery.

Etaples military cemetery, France, holds the remains of 10,771 victims of the Great War
Etaples military cemetery, France, holds the remains of 10,771 victims of the Great War
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2012

The CWGC states that he was the son of Joseph England, of Wimbledon, London, and the late E. H. England.

He was awarded the 1915 Star, the British War medal and the Victory medal.

Arthur's inscription on his parents headstone
Arthur's inscription on his parents headstone.
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2009

Although Arthur is not commemorated on any of the borough's war memorials he is remembered on the headstone of his mothers grave, plot A177A, Epsom cemetery. His stepmother Lizzie is also buried there. She died aged 60 in North Wimbledon hospital on 16 May 1927.

With thanks to Ajax Bardrick for supplying additional information.


Back to the index

ENGLAND William George, Private. 2120.

9th Battalion East Surrey Regiment.
Killed in Action 28 January 1916, aged 27.

William's headstone in the Menin Road South Military Cemetery
William's headstone in the Menin Road South Military Cemetery
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2009

William George England was born on 5 August 1888 (GRO reference: Sept 1888 Paddington 1a 71) to Charles and Anne Louisa England (nee Capell). William's father was a widower and working as a coach painter when he married spinster Anne Louisa Capell in Christ Church, St Marylebone, on 20 January 1881. Anne Louisa Capell came from Market Harborough, Leicestershire.

William's older half brother Frederick Charles had been born on 8 December 1877 in Marylebone and in the 1881 census was living with his grand parents John and Jane England and not with his father and stepmother at 41 Brown Street Marylebone.

William's older sister Louisa Grace was born in 1886 and the family were then living at 44 Farrant Street, Kensal Green.

When William was baptised on 30 September 1888 in St Michael and All Angels church in Paddington, the family had moved again and were living at 21, Market Street in Paddington. His younger sister Ellen Eliza was born on 8 March 1890.

In the 1891 census William's father Charles was recorded as being a 37 year old coach painter. His mother Anne, recorded as 'Louisa' in this census, was also aged 37. They were still living at 21 Market Street, Paddington where and William's 13 year old half brother Frederick was living with them. His sister Louisa was aged 4 and Ellen aged 1. Sadly William's sister Ellen died in 1894. Maybe this sad event prompted the family's move to Surrey?

Records in the registration district of Paddington show the death of an Ellen Eliza England in 1894 aged 4. Maybe, if this was William's sister, this sad event prompted the family's move to Surrey?

By the 1901 census William's family had moved to Epsom, Surrey. Only William and his parents were shown to be boarding at 37 Hook Road Epsom with the Walls family. William's father Charles was a 46 year old coach builder from Paddington. William was recorded as Wm Geo aged 12. His sister Louisa was working as a domestic servant for Robert Norman who ran an ironmongers shop in Epsom High Street.

In 1905 William's half brother Frederick married Charlotte Ellen Draper in Northamptonshire.

William's parents were living on their own at 57 Hook Road, Epsom when the 1911 census was taken. His father filled in the form stating that he and his wife of 34 years had had four children but one had died. William's sister Louisa was working as a housemaid in Wallington. William was living with his half brother Frederick and his family at 10 Westbury Terrace, Harrow Road, Paddington and was working as a telephone fitter.

William's 59 year old father died in his home and was buried in grave A289 in Epsom Cemetery on 22 February 1913; when his mother died in 1927 she was buried in the same grave.

The Surrey Recruitment Register shows that William George England attested in Epsom on 9 September 1914 in to the East Surrey Regiment. He gave his age as 25 years 1 month, and his occupation as barman. He was 5 feet 4¾ inches tall, weighed 130lbs and had a chest measurement of 34 inches with an expansion of 2½ inches. His complexion was fair and he had brown coloured hair and eyes.

On 27 December 1914 William married 25 year-old spinster Edith Minnie Vigars in St. Matthews church in Fulham. Their marriage entry shows William's occupation as a barman and that his father Charles was deceased. They both gave 5 Hazelbury Road, Fulham as their address. One of their witnesses was William's sister-in-law Charlotte Ellen England. There does not seem to have been any children born to them.

William served in the 9th Battalion East Surrey Regiment, which was in the 72 Brigade 24 Division. He landed with his Battalion in Boulogne on 1 September 1915. On the day that William was killed in action, 28 January 1916, the Battalion was not fighting in a major offensive, it was just holding the line in trenches to the east of 'Y' Wood near Hooge in the Ypres salient. The war diary for 28 January has the following simple entry:
Enemy snipers. 2 M. Guns V. active during night. Casualties killed 2. Wounded 1. Gas alert finished.
Trench Map of Y Wood - click image to enlarge
Trench Map of Y Wood - click image to enlarge

William is buried in the Menin Road South Military Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium.

He was awarded the 1915 Star, British War medal and the Victory medal.

The St Martin's Church Roll of Honour states that "WILLIAM GEORGE ENGLAND, was killed in action in France on the 29th July 1916".


Back to the index

ENGLISH Frederick Percy, Gunner. 55137.

'A' Battery, 104th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.
Killed in Action 20 July 1916, aged 26.

Frederick's headstone in the Flat Iron Copse Cemetery
Frederick's headstone in the Flat Iron Copse Cemetery
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2009

Frederick Percy English was born towards the end of 1889 (GRO reference: Mar 1890 Epsom 2a 17) to Alice Ann English (nee Marsh). St. Martin's Parish Registers show that Frederick was baptised on 19 January 1890, the child of Alfred (labourer) and Alice. However the 1901 census records Frederick as the step son of Alfred Rose.

Epsom workhouse records show that Frederick's mother Alice was, at her own request, twice admitted; first between 20 May 1868 and 16 September 1868 (119 days), and again between 22 April 1870 and 17 June 1870 (56 Days). During he first admission she gave birth to a daughter, Alice, born on 14 August 1868. The death of daughter Alice was recorded in the December quarter of 1869. During her second admission she gave birth to another daughter, Mary Ann on 24 May 1870.

Records show that Frederick's mother, Alice Ann Marsh, married William English on 3 August 1872, some four years after Alice's first child Alice was born in the Epsom workhouse in 1868.

NameBorn - DiedNotes
Alice (Marsh)Born: 14 August 1868 Epsom Workhouse
Died: 1869 Epsom
Mary Ann (Marsh)Born: 24 May 1870 Epsom WorkhouseBaptised 10 July 1870 St. Martin's church
Edith (English)Born: 1873 EpsomBaptised 10 August 1873 St. Martin's church. Married George White 15 December 1891
Edward James (English)Born: 1876 EpsomBaptised 14 May 1876 St. Martin's church
William George (English)Born: 1882 EpsomBaptised 20 August 1882 Christ Church
Rose Maud (English)Born: 1885 EpsomBaptised 6 December 1885 St. Martin's church
Alfred Charles (English)Born: 1887 EpsomBaptised 10 July 1870 St. Martin's church
Frederick Percy (English)Born: 1889 Epsom
Died: 20 July 1916 France
Baptised 19 January 1890 St. Martin's church
Florence Lucy (English)Born: 1892 EpsomBaptised 3 April 1892 St. Martin's church

The 1871 census records Frederick's 19 year old mother Alice Ann, living with her parents Thomas and Sarah and siblings James and William, at Pike's Hill, Epsom. However, Alice's 10 month old daughter Mary Ann is recorded as the daughter of the head of the family, Thomas.

On 3 August 1872 Alice Ann Marsh married William English in St. Martin's church, Epsom.

The 1881 census, before Frederick was born, records Fredick's parents living at Pikes Hill, Epsom. Head of the family William English, was a 33 year old labourer, and his wife Alice Ann was a 29 year old laundress. Three children are recorded, Mary Ann aged 11, Edith aged 9 and Edward aged 5. Twenty year old cowman William Marsh was shown as a boarder. He was most likely Alice Ann's brother.

In the 1891 census Alfred Rose is shown as a single man but as head of the family living at 15 Gladstone Cottage, Church Road, Epsom. Alice English is shown as married but not the wife of Alfred, a 33 year old labourer. The other members of the family shown in the census were James English (baptised Edward James) aged 14, William English (baptised William George) aged 8, Maud English (baptised Rose Maud) aged 5, Charles English (baptised Alfred Charles) aged 4 and Frederick English (baptised Frederick Percy), aged 1. In 1891, Alice's first child Mary Ann is recorded as a cook, working at the parsonage at St. Phillips church, Cheam. The 1891 census also records a 35 year old William English as an 'Imbecile' inmate at Caterham Asylum.

Alfred Rose and Alice Ann English eventually married in the December quarter of 1896 in Epsom. Presumably by then Alice's first husband William English had died, but no record of this has been found. The marriage was destined to be short, as Alice died in 1900, aged 50. After a service in St. Martin of Tours church, she was buried on 13 July in grave B184 in Epsom Cemetery.

In the 1901 census, Frederick appears as the 11 year old stepson of 41 year old widower and agricultural labourer Alfred G Rose, living at 13 Alexander Cottage, Church Road, Epsom. Frederick's sister Mary Ann English, now aged 30 was also living there as were his other siblings, bricklayer's labourer William English aged 22, Charles English aged 13 and Florence English aged 9. All were shown as Alfred's stepchildren.

St. Martin's parish records show that Rose Maud English, Alfred Charles English, Frederick Percy English and Florence Lucy English were all Alfred Rose's children, although they were all baptised with the surname English.

By 1911 only Frederick and his sister Mary were living at the same address, 13 Alexandra Cottage, Wyeth's Road, Epsom with stepfather Alfred Rose who was then aged 62. Frederick was by then working as a grocer's porter. His sister Mary had filled in the census form and stated that her widowed stepfather had been married for 4 years and had had no children during that time.

Alfred Rose died in his home, 14 Wyeth's Road, Epsom, in 1937 and was buried in grave F160 on 5 January in Epsom Cemetery.

Frederick attested in Kingston on 28 December 1914 into the Royal Field Artillery, giving his age as 25 years and 1 month. He was 5 feet 8¾ inches tall, weighed 160 lbs, and had a chest measurement of 36½ inches with an expansion of 3½ inches. He worked as a grocer and lived at 14 Wyeth's Road, Epsom.

Frederick was posted to France on 26 August 1915 and served with the 104th Brigade Royal Field Artillery. The Brigade was part of the 23rd Division, and fought in the 1916 battle of the Somme. Frederick was killed in action on 20 July 1916 and is buried in Flat Iron Copse Cemetery, which is to the west of Mametz Wood. Frederick's service record has not survived, but it is most likely that he was killed by shellfire.

Frederick was awarded the 1915 star, British War medal and the Victory medal.

The CWGC state that he was the "Son of Alfred Rose, of 14, Wyeth's Road, Epsom".

The St Martin's church roll of honour states that:
FREDERICK PERCY ENGLISH, was killed in action in France on 20th July 1916.

Back to the index

ETHERIDGE David, Private. 174266.

86th Battalion Canadian Machine Gun Corps.
Died 6 January 1917, aged 50.

David's inscription on the CWGC memorial Epsom.
David's inscription on the CWGC memorial Epsom.
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2016

David Etheridge was born on 8 April 1866 in Birmingham, England (GRO reference: Jun 1866 Birmingham 6d 12), the son of William and Elizabeth Etheridge (nee Hall). David's parents had married on 2 June 1853 in St. Bartholomew's Church, Edgbaston.

In 1871 the family lived at 85 Barford Street, Birmingham. David's 39 year old father was a 'Coach Smith'. His mother was aged 44 and four year old David had four siblings, Harry aged 13, an 'Errand Boy', Ada aged 11, Jesse aged 1 and Evan aged 1 month.

On 3 January 1881 David's brother Harry married Fanny Elizabeth Coppard.

The 1881 census records David and his family as living at 145 Sherbourne Street, Birmingham. David had become a 'Telegraph Messenger' and sister Ada was a 'Domestic'. Jesse and Evan were at school.

On 24 February 1884, David's father and siblings Harry, Jesse and Evan arrived in Halifax, Canada, aboard S.S. Circassian, their final destination being Quebec. No records have been found for when the rest of the family emigrated.

David's sister Ada married Lowton Llewellyn Davies on 9 June 1888 in York, Ontario, Canada.

David's parents, his sister Ada and her husband Lowton, are recorded in the 1891 Canadian census as living in Toronto, Canada. David's whereabouts in 1891 has not been found.

The 1900 U.S.A. Census recorded that David had arrived there in 1880 and that he had been married to Emily for eleven years (1889). They had three children recorded as living with them in Brooklyn, Cuyahoga, Ohio where David worked as a 'Tinner'. Their son Wilrose had been born 1888, daughter Blanche in 1895 and son Earl in 1898. It was also noted that Emily had been born at sea on the way to America and that she had had six children, four of whom were still alive. Further records show that a male child had been born to David Etheridge and Emily Huley on 13 July 1898 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio.

By 1911 the family had moved to Union, Lawrence, Pennsylvania, where David and Wilrose worked as labourers in a tin can factory. It was recorded on this census that David and Emily had been married for 21 years and that Emily had had five children but only three were still living. David's parents were still living with his sister Ada and her family.

On 12 August 1911, David arrived in the port of Bridgeburg, Ontario; he was travelling from Tamworth, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. to Toronto, Canada. The record shows that he was aged 45 and working as a can maker. It was also noted that he had been born in England but was a citizen of Pennsylvania U.S.A. On 20 September 1911 his wife, daughter Blanche and son Earl arrived at the same port en route for Hamilton, Canada.

On 27 July 1915, David's son Earl attested in Hamilton into the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force; he gave his birthday as 13 July 1897 and his mother as his next-of-kin.

David's daughter Blanche married Stanley Poyton, a soldier, on 16 August 1915 in Wentworth Ontario. Her marriage entry recorded that her mother's maiden name was Hailley.

David attested on 10 September 1915 in Hamilton, Canada. He claimed to have been born on 8 April 1875 which would have made his age 40 but he was born in 1866 which made his true age 49. His next-of-kin was his wife Emily Etheridge, and his occupation was 'Teamster'. He was 5 feet 7 inches tall, weighed 140 lbs, had a chest measurement of 34 inches with an expansion of 2 inches, a dark complexion, blue eyes and dark brown hair.

David embarked from Halifax, Canada on 19 May 1916 aboard SS Adriatic, was taken ill aboard ship on 29 May and disembarked at Liverpool the next day.

On 31 May 1916 David was admitted to '1st West General Hospital Liverpool' suffering with N.Y.D. (Not Yet Diagnosed). He was transferred on 18 October 1916 to the Woodcote Park Canadian Convalescent Hospital where his condition was noted as 'Stone in bladder and deafness'. Transferred to Horton County of London War Hospital, Epsom, on 19 November he was stated to be dangerously ill with a 'malignant bladder'.

David died on 6 January 1917 and was buried on 11 January in grave K708 in Epsom Cemetery where he is commemorated on the Screen Wall.

A card from David's service records showed that he had served overseas from Canada but did not leave England, which meant that he was only entitled to the British War medal. The medal, plaque and scroll, and a Canadian Memorial Cross were sent to his widow Emily at Kenilworth Avenue, Homeside P.O., Hamilton, Ontario in February 1921. A Canadian Memorial Cross was also sent to his mother Elizabeth at Calmans P.O., East Toronto, Ontario.

A supplementary card dated 26 August 1921 shows that David's widow had re-married and was now Mrs. R. Robinson of 59 Crosswaithe Avenue, Hornside P.O., Hamilton, Ontario. It was also noted that his mother had subsequently died.


Back to the index

EVERETT William Thomas, 2nd Lieutenant.

4th Battalion (Attached 8th) The Queens (Royal West Surrey Regiment).
Killed in Action 6 November 1918, aged 21.

William's headstone in the St. Waast-La-Vallee Communal Cemetery
William's headstone in St. Waast-La-Vallee Communal Cemetery
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2013

William Thomas Everett was born in Ewell on 29 August 1897 (GRO: Dec 1897 Epsom 2a 19) to Herbert and Eliza Mary Everett (nee Macklin). His parents had married in Lambeth in 1896.

In the 1901 census the family lived at Kingston Road, Ewell. William's father was a 26 year old plumber. His mother was aged 27 and he had a younger brother, Barrington Walter aged 8 months.

William Thomas 29 August 1897 21 November 1897
Barrington Walter 25 July 1900 7 October 1900
Herbert Henry Macklin 3 September 1902 7 December 1902
Leslie Chivington June Quarter 1905 15 October 1905
Margaret Violet Ellen September Quarter 1908 18 October 1908
Ronald Arthur September Quarter 1911 1 October 1911

When Margaret was baptised the family address was recorded as 'Wheat sheaf Cottage', 1 Kingston Rd, Ewell).

William attended Ewell Boys School from 11 April 1904 to 22 March 1911, when he left to become an 'errand boy (Labour certificate)'. Brothers Barrington and Herbert also attended Ewell Boys School, both leaving school in July 1912 when the family moved from Ewell to Worcester Park.

In the 1911 census the family were still living in Kingston Road, and William's father was still working as a plumber. His mother stated that she had given birth to five children and that they were all still living.

William's medal card shows us that he served initially in the 2/3rd Battalion London Regiment, a territorial unit. The first entry shows him as Sergeant, No 3733, and then L/Sergeant No 251337. Finally he is shown as a 2Lt in the Royal West Surrey Regiment. It does not give his date of commission or the date that he died. It does however state that the first theatre of war that he served in was France, and that his date of entry into that theatre was ?? October 1915. That date of entry should entitle him to receive the 1915 - 1915 Star, but his medal card states that he is not eligible for it. An anomaly I can't explain.

William's medal card
William's medal card.
Image courtesy of (Link opens in a new window)
Ancestry Logo

I have been unable to find any entry in the London Gazette showing when William received his commission.

William was killed in action just five days before the armistice, on 6 November 1918, whilst attached to the 8th Battalion Queens (17th Brigade, 24th Division). At this stage of the war the Germans were retreating rapidly but were still offering resistance and were not giving up easily. William's battalion was attacking at St Waast near the Belgian border and suffered some casualties. Three other ranks were killed in addition to their officer, 2Lt William Thomas Everett. Another officer, 2Lt CA Field was wounded on 6 November and died at Etaples on 12 November.

William is buried in the south part of the St.Waast-La-Vallee Communal Cemetery.

The St. Waast-La-Vallee Communal Cemetery
The St. Waast-La-Vallee Communal Cemetery
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2013

The CWGC state that he was the 'Son of Herbert and Mary Everett, of 3 Craven Villas, Worcester Park, Surrey. Born at Ewell, Surrey'.

William is commemorated in at least two places:
  • The Ewell Boys School memorial, now in the Bourne Hall museum.
  • The War Memorial in Cheam Common Road. The memorial once stood in the grounds of St Phillip's Church, but the church had to be demolished in 1978 due to unstable foundations.

William's name on the Worcester Park Memorial
William's name on the Worcester Park Memorial
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2010

Worcester Park Memorial
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2010


Back to the index

Please Note: We believe that the information on this page is accurate however users should satisfy themselves that the information is correct before incurring any expense or undertaking any journeys. This is particularly important when purchasing certificates from other bodies, for example the General Register Office. You might like to use the following links to Freebmd and Find My Past (Links open in a new window).