Appendix 6
Epsom Advertiser report of Ewell Parish Council meetings.


15 December 1916.

THE WAR MEMORIAL

The committee appointed to consider the question of erecting a war shrine reported that they had selected a Portland stone tablet, to be erected on the front of the Watch House. The estimated cost was £10, and already £7 10s. had been collected.

That the shrine would be nothing more than a memorial to those who had given their lives for their country was the declaration of Mr Henderson.

The Rev. J. Wallace said it was proposed to erect at West Ewell a shrine of the ordinary kind, and steps were being taken with that object in view. The shrine for West Ewell would be designed by a well known architect, and the work would be executed by an eminent firm.

Mr. Miller remarked that many people regarded shrines as Popish; he therefore hoped what was going to be erected would be called a memorial.

To have the memorial erected by the side of the main road, on the churchyard wall, or by the Spring, was the wish of Mr Cope, but the Rev.

J. Wallace explained that the reason the Watch House was suggested by the committee was that the place belonged to the Council.

Mr Glyn considered the Watch House was by far the best place for the memorial.

The report of the committee was approved.

War Memorials
War Memorials
All Saints
All Saints
Dipping Well
Dipping Well
Ashley Road
Ashley Road
St Mary's Ewell
St Mary's Ewell
Sgt. Green and the Epsom Riot
Epsom Riot
Woodcote Camp
Woodcote Camp