WW2 Book of Remembrance - Surnames L


Click on the name to jump to the relevant entry

LAMBERT, Vincent Arthur (New 30/10/2017)
LARKAM, Jack Ernest (New 08/01/2018)
LARSEN, Harold * (New 30/10/2017)
LARTER, Thomas * (New 30/10/2017)
LEE, Aubrey Carlton (New 08/01/2018)
LEE, William John (New 30/10/2017)
LEGERTON, Maud Constance * (New 30/10/2017)
LEGGETT, Francis Seymour Joseph (New 30/10/2017)
LEVERINGTON, Ernest (New 08/08/2017)
LEVERINGTON, Muriel (New 08/08/2017)
LEWIN, Walter William (Links to a separate page)
LEWIS, Cyril (New 14/08/2017)
LEWIS, Richard Granville (Revised 17/01/2018)
LINCK, Frederick William Patrick J (New 08/01/2018)
LLOYD-SMITH, Vivian Bernard (New 30/10/2017)
LOOP, David Halstead (Revised 12/12/2017)
LOVELESS, Leslie Charles (Revised 12/12/2017)
LOVELL, Stuart James (New 08/01/2018)
LOVELOCK, Henry James * (New 30/10/2017)
LOWE, Bertram Harrington (New 08/01/2018)
LOWER, Vivian (Revised 11/12/2017)
LUDBROOK, William Frederick (New 08/01/2018)

* = Not included in the Book of Remembrance for reasons unknown.
If you are looking for someone whose name starts with a different letter please try:


LAMBERT, Vincent Arthur Serjeant (1634643)

4 Garrison Regiment, Royal Artillery
Died 8 October 1945, aged 32

Son of Arthur and Emily B Lambert; stepson of Mr J F Hayden, of Hendon, Middlesex.

Ashes interred at the Bournemouth Crematorium, Hampshire.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LARKAM, Jack Ernest. Private S/6093509

Royal Army Service Corps
Died 21 February 1942 Age Not Known

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Husband of Iris Lilian Larkam. of Ewell. Surrey.

Buried: Halfaya Sollum War Cemetery, 7. F. 10.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index


Merchant Navy
Died 23/09/1940, aged 22

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Norwegian Subject; Seaman, Merchant Navy; of 4 Drummond Road, Greenwich, London. Son of Otto and Agnes Larsen, of Langenes, Vesteraalen, Norway. Injured 22 September 1940, between Surrey Docks and Norwegian Church; died at Horton Emergency Hospital, Epsom.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index


Died 07/11/1940, aged 73

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Husband of L. Larter, of 198 Mayall Road, Herne Hill, London. Injured 3 October 1940, at Williamson's Ltd., Brixton, London; died at Horton Emergency Hospital, Epsom

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LEE, Aubrey Carlton. Flying Officer 127096

37 Sqdn. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Died 10 August 1943 Age 29

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Son of Carlton and Ethel Marion Lee; husband of Frances Elizabeth Lee, of Epsom Downs, Surrey. B.A. (Cantab.).

Commemorated: Alamein Memorial, Column 268.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LEE, William John (6468751)

1st Battalion, Gordon Highlanders
Died 15 August 1944, aged 26

Son of George Edwin and Maud Lee; husband of Iris Betty Lee, of Worcester Park, Surrey.

Buried in the Ranville War Cemetery, Calvados, France - where his headstone indicates the couple had a son, Terry.

This soldier is not in the Royal Fusiliers as noted in the Borough's Book of Remembrance. While the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database lists 13 servicemen called William Lee, none was either in The Royal Fusiliers nor, from the limited family details given, had any obvious connection with the Borough. That database lists 24 servicemen with the surname Lee and William as one of their multiple Christian names. The William John Lee detailed above is the only one with a Borough connection.

Roger Morgan © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LEGERTON Maud Constance B.A.

Died 08/08/1944, aged 21

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Of 129 Como Road, Forest Hill, London. Daughter of Maud Edith Legerton, and of Claud Saxby Legerton. Injured 28 July 1944, at 129 Como Road; died at Horton Emergency Hospital, Epsom. Father Claude Saxby Legerton also died.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LEGGETT, Francis Seymour Joseph

Died 16 August 1940, aged 52

Husband of Alice Louise Leggett, of 107 Chessington Road, West Ewell.

Died at Kingston Road, Merton.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LEVERINGTON, Ernest. Stoker 1st Class (C/KX 99533)

Royal Navy H.M.S. Wakeful
Died 29 May 1940, aged 37

Ernest was born on 29 March 1903, the fifth of the six children (all boys, and baptised at Christ Church Epsom Common) born to Martin Leverington and Sarah Elizabeth (née Potter) of Wheelers Lane. Martin was a "Labourer/Brewer's yardman" and died in 1909, aged only 39, and Sarah remarried - to Albert E Martin in Q2 1911.

It seems that Ernest was a career sailor, and it may be that it was on his travels that he met Muriel Clegg in Huddersfield. They married in Huddersfield In Q4 1932. They set up home at 15 The Crescent, Epsom, but the 1939 Register records Muriel living there alone, Ernest probably being at sea.

Ernest served as a Leading Stoker on HMS Wakeful. As noted in the general article about WW2 fatalities in the Royal Navy, that destroyer was involved in Operation Dynamo - the mid-1940 evacuation from Dunkirk.

HMS Wakeful
HMS Wakeful
Image source Wikimedia Commons.

HMS Wakeful first arrived off Dunkirk on 27 May 1940 and took on 631 Allied troops. While returning them to Dover, she came under air attack and suffered minor damage below the waterline. Despite that near miss, the ship returned to Dunkirk to continue the evacuation and, on 28 May 1940, took on a further 640 Allied troops. While doing so, HMS Wakeful was struck by two torpedoes from the German E-Boat S-30, one of which hit the forward boiler room.

Casualties were very heavy: only 26 survived the resulting explosion and its aftermath. Ernest Leverington was among the 724 killed - as was fellow parishioner Charles Easton.

Ernest is remembered on the Chatham Naval Memorial which commemorates 10,098 sailors of WW2 (and 8,517 of WW1) who have no known grave.

As noted in the separate article, his widow, Muriel Leverington, joined the Women's Auxiliary Air Force and, like her husband (but for very different reasons), did not survive the War.

Roger Morgan © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LEVERINGTON, Muriel. Leading Aircraftwoman (2022927)

The Women's Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF)
Died 1 May 1945, aged 32

Muriel was born on 18 June 1913 to Charles William & Ellen Clegg (née Cash - they had married on 8 September 1903 in St James's Church, Grimsby).

In Q4 1932, Muriel married Ernest Leverington in Huddersfield. The 1939 Register records her living alone at 15 The Crescent, Epsom - Ernest perhaps already being in the Navy. (That Register records her parents living at 46 Fair Lea Road, Huddersfield - her father being a "Carpet Planner". Also present there was a 24 year old "Cabinet Maker" Charles William Clegg, presumably Muriel's younger brother.)`

As noted in the separate article, Muriel's husband Ernest Leverington was killed in action in May 1940. The readily available records give no information about either when Muriel joined the WAAF or what part in the war effort - of the many potential and vital roles undertaken by WAAFs (which excluded aircrew duties) - she played as a Leading Aircraftwoman.

She died on 1 May 1945 at Epsom's Horton Emergency Hospital - not of injuries, but a brain tumour - and was then buried in the Huddersfield (Lockwood) Cemetery, near her parents' home.

Roger Morgan © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LEWIN, Walter William

Stoker 1st Class C/K 61449, Royal Navy Submarines
Died 20 July 1941, aged 36

Walter was one of the seven children of James William Lewin (1876-1907) and his wife Beatrice Eleanor (nee Sutton, c.1876- 1928), who were married at Christ Church, Epsom on 3 November 1895. The full list of children is as follows.

NameBornDiedFurther information
William John12/9/18962/6/1942 at The Sewage Farm, EpsomLatterly of 2 Woodcote Side, Epsom
Eleanor Isabella2/3/18988/1898 (5 months)-
Ernest William27/4/18992/1910 (10 years)-
Beatrice Annie10/3/190122/11/1948 EpsomMarried Frederick William Hince 22/5/1926 Christ Church, Epsom
Clara23/6/19031958?Married Charles Albert Goodwin 1921
Walter William16/11/190420/7/1941See below

Broadly speaking, most of the extensive Lewin clan lived at Epsom Common in Isabella Cottages, Stamford Green; they ran Lewin's Laundry and many of them worked in the business. Walter followed in the family footsteps for a short while but in June 1923 he signed up for twelve years in the Royal Navy.

The Lewin family.
The Lewin family.
Left to right: Beatrice Annie, Walter William, Beatrice Eleanor, William John, Clara and Albert.
Image courtesy of Terry Friday

On 28 March 1932 at Christ Church Walter, then based at Southampton in the submarine service, married Emily Jane Ede (born 26 April 1909), daughter of John and Mary Ann Ede of Epsom Common. I am not aware of any children of the marriage and it seems that Walter and Emily maintained a home in Stamford Green. I am not sure if Walter left the Navy after his twelve years expired and then rejoined at the outbreak of war, but in any event he was part of the crew of the new HM Submarine Umpire (N82) when she left the builder's yard in July 1941.

HMS Umpire was a U-class submarine, one of 49 such boats built just before and during World War 2. They were small vessels and all but two of them, HMS Umpire and HMS Una, were built by Vickers-Armstrong. Umpire and Una were constructed at Chatham and were virtually identical, although Una was commissioned later than Umpire. There are few extant photos of Umpire, since she sank just a few days into her maiden voyage, but there are many of Una and the one below is particularly good in showing the scale of man to boat.

HMS Una at Malta, 1943.
HMS Una at Malta, 1943. Photo by Lt F G Roper.
Image Source : Imperial War Museum © IWM (A 14467)

HMS Umpire was commissioned on 10 July 1941 and set sail from Chatham en route to Dunoon to join the 3rd Submarine Flotilla. The commander was Lt Mervyn Wingfield and the first lieutenant was Peter Bannister.

Lt Cdr Mervyn Wingfield DSO, DSC
Lt Cdr Mervyn Wingfield DSO, DSC,
photographed at Tricomalee in 1943, then commanding the T-class submarine HMS Taurus.
Image Source : Imperial War Museum © IWM (A 21522)

The boat stopped overnight at Sheerness to wait for a merchant convoy, which then proceeded up the East coast escorted by motor launches and Admiralty trawlers. Just off Aldeburgh, Suffolk a Heinkel bomber attacked and Umpire dived successfully for the first time. That same night there was a problem with one of the two diesel engines and she had to stop (there were also two electric engines): the problem could not be fixed, however, and she had to slow down because the one working diesel engine had insufficient power to maintain the necessary speed. A motor launch dropped back as an escort and they proceeded at reduced speed.

Umpire was then involved in a near-miss with an approaching southbound convoy. It was dark and none of the ships were showing lights because of the likelihood of prowling E-boats. Nevertheless, visibility was reasonable, but crucially Umpire had lost contact with the motor launch. The rule at sea was that in a channel ships should keep to the starboard side, so they would pass oncoming ships port to port. For some reason the southbound convoy approached on the port side and extended across Umpire's starboard bow. It was too risky to alter course to starboard so Umpire steered slightly to port and a collision was avoided by a distance of approximately 200 yards. Unfortunately, the avoiding manoeuvre had put Umpire directly in the path of an oncoming escort trawler, the Peter Hendriks (later renamed Lord Rivers), which had not seen them. The trawler had right of way and ordinarily Umpire would have steered to starboard but could not do so because of the proximity of the southbound convoy. So Wingfield ordered hard-a-port, which should have averted disaster, but at the last moment the trawler spotted the submarine and turned to starboard. Wingfield's desperate order of full-astern came too late and the trawler rammed Umpire in the bow; she lurched and then sank in under 30 seconds. The next picture shows the trawler Paul Rykens, which was identical to the Peter Hendriks, in the background.

HMT Paul Rykens and the Boat Pool, Oban.
HMT Paul Rykens and the Boat Pool, Oban.
Painting by Stephen Bone 1943.
Image Source : Imperial War Museum © IWM (Art.IWM ART LD 3125)

A graphic account of HMS Umpire's last moments appears in the book called 'One of Our Submarines' by Edward Preston Young, then a Lieutenant. Young was off duty aboard Umpire when it sank and in 1952 recorded his wartime career (he was awarded the DSO, DSC and Bar for subsequent exploits and was also the man who, before the War, had designed the striking original covers for Penguin paperbacks). Mervyn Wingfield was in the conning tower when the trawler struck, together with Tony Godden, the officer of the watch, and two lookouts. All four of them were flung into the water at the moment of impact. Wingfield, only semi-conscious, tried to keep Godden afloat but he then lost consciousness altogether and was picked up by another ship. Godden and the lookouts drowned.

Meanwhile a terrible drama was unfolding in the sinking submarine. Bannister ordered the watertight doors shut and then there was an almighty crash and an electrical explosion. Umpire lurched and plunged straight to the bottom. Water was pouring into the boat through the ventilation shaft and, if it reached the battery cells, lethal chlorine gas would be formed. Young said in his book that, with hindsight, he could and should have shut off the ventilation shaft, but the situation at the time was mayhem and everything was happening very fast. The boat was only 60-80 feet down and Bannister thought she might surface if they blew the ballast tanks, which they did, but nothing happened. The water still poured in and the electrics were spitting and flashing. Young said that there was no panic but they were all suffering from a kind of mental concussion. A plan was formed that four men, including Bannister and Young, would try to escape via the conning tower, whilst others could get out via the engine room hatch. For Bannister and Young it was a case of opening the hatch to the conning tower, taking one deep breath, with water pouring in, and launching themselves upwards. The two officers made it, together with one of their companions, and Young was subsequently picked up by a motor launch.

HMT Paul Rykens and the Boat Pool, Oban.
Lt Edward Young RNVR,
pictured in command of HM Submarine P555 (formerly US Submarine S24), 1943.
Image Source : Imperial War Museum © IWM (A 15863)

Other men, who had escaped via the engine room, eventually straggled to the surface but, by then, Bannister had disappeared. Reports vary as to the number of men on Umpire - 37 being a much-quoted number - and 22 of them died. Umpire, stripped of anything useful by an official salvage team, is still on the bottom, a protected site, lying in 18 metres of water off Sheringham Shoal, Norfolk, about 15 miles from shore and now within the site of the Sheringham Shoal wind farm (see their Summer 2012 newsletter for an image of the wreck). She had lasted a little over one week from commissioning.

Captain Mervyn Wingfield DSO, DSC, as he later was, had a very distinguished career in the Royal Navy and one of his many wartime achievements was the sinking of the Japanese submarine I-34, the first Japanese submarine to be sunk by a Royal Navy submarine (HMS Taurus). Walter Lewin is commemorated on the Chatham Naval Memorial (Panel 47, 3.). His widow, Emily Jane, married Frederick G Scutt in 1951 and died in 1969.

Note: Although Walter's rank was Stoker 1st Class, there was obviously nothing to stoke on a diesel/electric powered submarine. Stokers on submarines operated and maintained equipment in the engine room under the supervision of Engine Room Artificers.

Linda Jackson, May 2016

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LEWIS, Cyril. Petty Office(C/MX 71383)

Royal Navy, HMS Saunders
Died 14 December 1942, aged 22

Cyril was born on 23 January 1920, apparently the older of George Ernest and Mary Catherine Lewis's two sons. The 1939 Register records the family living at 30 Ebbisham Road, Epsom listing George as "Stableman Racing", Cyril as "Fitter Motor Repair Works" and younger brother William Ernest (born 12 December 1921) as "Groundsman RAC Club".

HMS Saunders, where Cyril served, was not a ship but the shore-based naval limb of the Middle East Combined Training Centre at Kabret, on Egypt's Little Bitter Lake. Its purpose was to train Naval personnel in the operation of landing craft and, together with the troops of many Allied nations, to practice amphibious landings prior to operations against the enemy in the Mediterranean.

A sketch of HMS Saunders from the base's water-tower
A sketch of HMS Saunders from the base's water-tower
Courtesy of Henry More, grandson of Captain G I S More OBE RN -
who commanded HMS Saunders from June 1942 to December 1944,
and to whom the artist (Herbert Hastings McWilliams) presented it "with admiration".

Given George's pre-war occupation as a "Fitter Motor Repair Works", it is no surprise to find that his Petty Officer service was as a "Motor Mechanic". www.naval-history.net lists Cyril as killed by an explosion on a Tank Landing Craft Mk III. The fact he is buried in the Tobruk War Cemetery suggests that this was not at Kabret, but rather that he was somehow involved in the Allies' eastwards advance along the North African coast following the turning point of El Alamein.

Roger Morgan © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LEWIS, Richard Granville. Flying Officer 67061

165 Sqdn. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Died 9 February 1943 Age 25

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

The marriage of Granville L Lewis to Myfanwy J Lewis (b. Islington 31 August 1891) was registered at Islington for the September Quarter of 1912.

On 5 October 1917 an Avro 504 B3129, of 28 Training Squadron spun in off a turn at Castle Bromwich. 2/Lt Cyril Thornton was killed outright and 2/Lt Granville Vernon Lewis died some hours later. Lewis had been born in Melbourne, Australia but married to settle in north east London . He had enlisted in the the 3rd London Field Company, Royal Engineers at Denham Camp by 14 September 1914 before transferring to Cadet Wing RFC, Denham, 8 March 1917. He was gazetted Flying Officer 15 September 1917, becoming an instructor at 28 TS. He left his pregnant wife Myvanwy Jacob Lewis at 15 Aveling Park Road, Chingford Road, north east London.

Granville was commemorated on a headstone in St Pancras Cemetery, East Finchley, Grave RC. 9. 2. and at Bromsgrove School.

Birth of Richard G Lewis came to be recorded at Wandsworth, 3/1918.

Richard enlisted with the Royal Air Force at Uxbridge in September 1939 and was commissioned from Leading Aircraftman to Pilot Officer on 8 May 1941, gaining promotion to Flying Officer a year later.

He became a pilot with 165 Squadron to fly Spitfires om Rhubarb missions - freelance fighter sorties against targets of opportunity. On 9 February 1943 he flew in a pair with Sergeant J H Curry, on a Rhubarb operation in the Yvetot area [Seine-Maritime department, Normandy region, of France] , but both failed to return. Sgt Curry, in Spitfire BM518, reportedly shot down by by JG26 fighters, is remembered on the Runnymede Memorial, Panel 136. Richard's aircraft seems to have been a Spitfire Mk.Vb, BM450.

He is interred in Grave A 8 at Grandcourt War Cemetery 30 kilometres east of Dieppe at the crossing of the roads from Blangy-sur-Bresle to Fresnoy and Criel-sur-Mer to Fallencourt. This contains individuals who were originally buried in smaller or isolated cemeteries, but who, at a later date, were exhumed and re-buried in the war cemetery.

CWGC records Richard as the son of Pilot Offr. Granville Vernon Loch Lewis, R.F.C., who died in service October 5th, 1917, and of Myfanwy Jacob Lewis, of Ewell, Surrey. The widowed Myfanwy had in fact married secondly Edward George McKanna (a book-keeper) about 1920 possibly in South America. The McKannas arrrived in England from Brazil, via New York on, 2 July 1924 with Richard Granville then aged 6 and his half-brother Reginald Edward Jacob McKanna - destined for 60 Freegrove Road, London N7. The Mc Kanna family were still in Brazil during 1954 but had established an address at Crilvermere, Lustrells Crescent, Saltdean Sussex. Edward George McKanna is found to have been living there prior to his death at Brighton General Hospital on 1 January 1962. Myfanwy Jacob McKenna herself expired in 54 Marine Drive, Brighton, Sussex, 2 April 1973.

None of this explains a Ewell connection but the CWGC reference could have been specific to Richard Granville Lewis and his residence locally with a relative - a possible candidate is Reginald McKanna (b. 15 November 1893) who died at 47 Sunny Bank, Epsom on 16 February 1972.

Brian Bouchard © 2018

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LINCK, Frederick William Patrick J. Lieutenant 296240

Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment
Died 2 February 1945 Age 22

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Son of Frederick William and Katharine Linck; husband of Lillias Jean Linck, of Ewell, Surrey.

Buried: Taukkyan War Cemetery, 10. J. 23.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LLOYD-SMITH, Vivian Bernard. Sub-Lieutenant

HMS Southampton, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
Died 11 January 1941, aged 23

Son of Harry Bernard and Annie Lloyd-Smith, of Stoneleigh, Surrey; husband of Elizabeth Esther Lloyd-Smith..

Commemorated on the Chatham Naval Memorial, Kent.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LOOP, David Halstead. Warrant Officer/Pilot (658361). DFC

103 Squadron, Royal Air Force
Died 18 October 1943, aged 25

John Halstead Loop, born 20 January 1892, entered the Post Office as a Boy Clerk in 1908. His marriage to Dora Welch was registered at Hollingbourn for the December Quarter of 1915. Their son David Halstead Loop came to be born on 15 January 1919, registered in Barnet 6/1919.

The family arrived locally, to live at Whitethorn, 33 The Kingsway, Epsom, in time for David to enter Ewell Infants School: he was at Ewell Boys School from 1 April 1927 to 29 August 1930 before going up to Epsom County School. Reported to have been 'a gifted reader', he was offered free place at what is now known as Glyn School.

Evidently, he first entered the Army after the outbreak of WW2 but, with a Service Number 658361, transferred to the Royal Air Force.

Having reached the rank of Leading Aircraftman he was selected for flying duties.

The 'Arnold Scheme' (a name derived from US General Henry H. Arnold, Chief of the United States Army Air Forces, instigator of the arrangements) was established to train British RAF pilots in the United States of America during World War II and ran from June 1941 to March 1943. Its connection with Albany began in 1941 with Turner Field and Darr Aero Tech being selected as flying training bases. Darr Aero Tech was designated a Primary Flying Training School and Turner Field an Advanced School. LAC D. H. Loop went to Albany on 22 January1942 as a Pilot U/T, Arnold Squad C [42C]. He would have been taught to fly the Stearman PT-17 in primary training before moving on to theVultee B-13a.

By 7 July 1943 David was back in England, assigned to 1662 H.C.U.(Heavy Conversion Unit) at Blyton, near Gainsborough. On that date, aboard Lancaster ED 414, he took off at 10.15 to practice circuits and landings but at 01.35 misunderstood an instruction and failed to stop in the length of the runway. Although the aircraft hit an obstruction to be written off, Sgt. D H Loop and his crew survived the impact.

From 24 July 1943, Sgt D. H. Loop is found with 103 Squadron piloting Lancaster I, W4323. He had another escape on 23 August 1943 after W4323 had been fuelled and bombed up ready for that night's operation to Berlin. Prior to embarkation, there was a short circuit during a test and the small bomb containers jettisoned their load of incendiaries. These immediately started to burn on the concrete dispersal underneath the aircraft. Eventually the 4000 lb blockbuster went up causing a huge explosion and spreading wreck age over a wide area.

On the night of 18 October 1943, 103 squadron based at Elsham Wolds, formed part of a massive force of 260 Lancasters sent to bomb Hannover. Eighteen aircraft were lost on the raid, one of which contained David Loop and his companions.

He was buried in the Hanover War Cemetery, Niedersachsen, Germany.

The London Gazette, 23 March 1944, announced that Acting Warrant Officer David Halstead LOOP. (658361), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No.103 Squadron, had been awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross with effect from 18 October 1943.

Staplehurst churchyard, Kent, contains: -
72F. Headstone, inscribed on East: metal lettering, mint: sound, in situ.
'In / loving memory of / DORA LOOP / died 25th October 1961 aged 75. / And of / JOHN HALSTEAD LOOP / died 1st December 1976 aged 84'.
Brian Bouchard © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LOVELESS, Leslie Charles. Flight Sergeant/Pilot (1604264)

358 Squadron, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Died 25 March 1945, aged 20

The marriage of Reginald G Loveless to Nellie Louisa Johnson was registered at Wandsworth for the June Quarter of 1916 and the birth of their son, Leslie Charles, in Lambeth, 6/1924. Reginald died 7 June 1930 at 46 Ouseley Road, Balham, and by 1936 the widowed Nellie was living, en famille, with Albert William and Ellen Cooper at 125 Tamworth Lane, Mitcham.

By 1938 the family group had moved to 65 Fairford Gardens, Worcester Park, but Ellen Cooper's death came to be recorded in Surrey Mid E for the June Quarter of that year. A union between the widower, Albert William Cooper, and Nellie L Loveless followed, 6/1941.

After September 1941, at Oxford, Leslie Charles Loveless enlisted in the RAFVR.

358 Squadron, R.A.F. was formed at RA.F Kolar, India on 8 November 1944 as part of 231 Group, and was comprised primarily of personnel from the No.1673 Heavy Conversion Unit, RAF South East Asia Command which had recently been disbanded. B-24 Liberator bombers arrived later the same month, for aircrew and ground staff training. Liberators were 4-engined American heavy bombers, supplied under lend-lease. With their lightweight construction, and fuel tanks throughout the upper fuselage, they had the long range necessary in the Far East, but were susceptible to damage From RAF. Kolar a move was made to the jungle airfield at RAF Digri, India on 2 January 1945, and from there 358 Squadron flew its first and only bombing mission on 13 January 1945, when eight of the B-24 Liberator aircraft bombed Mandalay. The 'Mandalay Raid' was the only bombing operation flown by the squadron because it was subsequently assigned to Special Duties. These consisted of dropping agents and supplies into enemy occupied territory, during the course of which long flights were undertaken, with such operations continuing until the end of the war. The change of the role probably accounts for a move from RAF Digri to RAF Jessore on 10 February 1945, where it remained until 18 November 1945. Nine of the crew of the B-24 Liberator bomber KH397, which hit trees on take off and crashed on 25 March 1945, were buried at Chittagong War Cemetery, Dampara, Bangladesh.

Operational records state: -
'Liberator VI. KH397 took off from base at 0530 hours but collided with trees at S. end of runway and crashed in flames in the native village of Bakkutia. The aircraft was a complete 'write off', Category E.O. Burnt total. All the crew were killed, and were interred in the European Cemetery, Jessore (Map Ref. 2311N 8911E) at 1800 hours the same day. Full service honours were accorded. The Station Chaplain, S/L. (Rev) John Scott, Conducted the ceremony. Personnel killed:

     1108628. W/O. W R Mills, Captain,
     1604264 F/Sgt. L C Loveless, 2nd Pilot,
     F/O. T. D. Taylor, A/B [Bomb aimer],
     R.93615 W/O. S E Hencher, Nav.,
     1623858 Sgt. C C Young, WOP/A,
     1795301 Sgt. G D T Rowe, WOP/A,
     1301823 F/Sgt. J F C Hawkins,A/G,
     1826585 Sgt. D S Potter, A/G,
     634691 Sgt. J L J Hulse, A/G.

The aircraft crashed in the midst of the village of Bakkutia and considerable civilian casualties and damage occurred. 8 civilians were killed and 10 injured and 10 horses and 7 cattle were destroyed in the resulting fire.'
The aircrew lie together in the Chittagong War Cemetery, Bangladesh, Plots 3G 5-12.

Brian Bouchard © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LOVELL, Stuart James. Flight Lieutenant 107258

183 Sqdn. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Died 29 January 1944 Age 27

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Son of Stuart C. Anthony and Clare Mary Lovell, of Portrush, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland; husband of Alicia Lovell, of Epsom, Surrey. His brother, Wing. Cdr. Anthony Desmond Lovell, D.S.O. and Bar, D.F.C. and Bar, D.F.C. (American), also died on service.

Buried: Brest (Kerfautras) Cemetery, Plot 46. Row 11. Grave 2.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LOVELOCK Henry James. Sergeant PO/210573.

Royal Marines.
Died 06/08/1942, aged 57

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Husband of Eleanor Lovelock, of 53 Richards Avenue, Stoneleigh

Buried Morden Cemetery, Sec. G4. Grave 5591.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LOWE, Bertram Harrington. Sergeant 658389

Royal Air Force
Died 21 May 1943 Age 27

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Son of Bertram and Florence Mary Lowe, of Ewell, Surrey.

Commemorated: Runnymede Memorial, Panel 157.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LOWER, Vivian. Pilot Officer (143871)

Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, 224 Squadron
Died 2 September 1943, aged 31

Vivian was born on 6 May 1902 in Edmonton, the son of Nynian Evelyn Walter Lower (a "Bank Official") and Edith (née Morley - they had married in Hackney Q2 1911). The 1939 Register records Vivian staying (or lodging) with the Mitchell family at 34 Queen's Drive, Stoke Newington and described as "Bankers Official Cashier Electrical". However, the Probate records list Vivian as having lived at 141 Manor Green Road, Epsom. (As administration was allocated to his father, it is assumed Vivian never married.)

His WW2 service was in the RAF's Coastal Command. In 1942, he was in 119 Squadron based in Pembroke Dock. He had a narrow escape when the Short Sunderland flying boat DP176 on which he was the navigator had to ditch in the Bay of Biscay when the port outer propeller broke off - hitting the inner propeller which also came off. The pilot managed to ditch the aircraft but its port wing dug in and it sank in four minutes. Three of the crew were lost, but the remaining twelve (including the injured Vivian) made it into the dinghy. They were found the next day by an RAF Catalina which directed HMS Wensleydale to pick them up.

Vivian then transferred to 224 Squadron. This was stationed at RAF St Eval (on the north coast of Cornwall), and flew B-24 Liberators in anti-submarine operations over the Bay of Biscay and attacks on shipping around the French Coast.

A B24 Liberator heavy bomber
A B24 Liberator heavy bomber
Picture courtesy of Bill Zuk via Wikimedia Commons

On 2 September 1943, Vivian was part of the crew of Liberator FL938 GR-V on an anti-submarine patrol over the Bay of Biscay when it was shot down by a Luftwaffe Ju 88s. All nine on board were killed. As one of over 20,000 members of the RAF who were lost during WW2 operations and who have no known graves, Vivian is commemorated on the RAF Memorial at Runnymede.

Roger Morgan © 2017
With special thanks to Brian Bouchard

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

LUDBROOK, William Frederick. Lance Corporal 2560297

29 Constr. Sec. Royal Corps of Signals
Died 27 September 1943 Age 39

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Son of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Ludbrook; husband of Susan Unity Ludbrook, of Ewell, Surrey.

Buried: Chungkai War Cemetery, 2. L. 1.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

Please Note: We believe that the information on this page is accurate however users should satisfy themselves that the information is correct before incurring any expense or undertaking any journeys. This is particularly important when purchasing certificates from other bodies, for example the General Register Office. You might like to use the following links to Freebmd and Find My Past (Links open in a new window).

War Memorials
War Memorials
All Saints
All Saints
Dipping Well
Dipping Well
Ashley Road
Ashley Road
St Mary's Ewell
St Mary's Ewell
Sgt. Green and the Epsom Riot
Epsom Riot
Woodcote Camp
Woodcote Camp