WW2 Book of Remembrance - Surnames E


Click on the name to jump to the relevant entry

EADES, Stanley Thomas (New 08/01/2018)
EAGER, Walter Sydney (New 08/01/2018)
EASTON, Charles William (Revised 23/09/2017)
EATON, Frederick Murrey (Revised 23/12/2017)
EDE, Reginald James (Revised 23/12/2017)
EDWARDS, Clement Templeton * (Revised 27/12/2017)
EDWARDS, Frank (New 08/01/2018)
EDWARDS, Jack (Revised 23/12/2017)
ELAND, Lucy Anne * (Revised 23/12/2017)
ELDRIDGE, Gordon Frederick (Revised 29/11/2017)
ELLIS, Henry Turnell (Revised 10/01/2018)
ELLIS, William Proctor * (Revised 23/12/2017)
ELSON, Arthur James * (Revised 23/12/2017)
EVANS, Albert * (Revised 23/12/2017)
EVERETT, Daniel Bulmer (New 29/09/2014)

* = Not included in the Book of Remembrance for reasons unknown.
If you are looking for someone whose name starts with a different letter please try:


EADES, Stanley Thomas. Private 4862768

2/5th Bn. Leicestershire Regiment
Died 10 May 1942 Age 28

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Son of Frank Thomas Eades and Olive Eades, of West Ewell; husband of Gwendoline Beryl Eades.

Buried: Ewell (St. Mary) Churchyard Extension, Sec. E. Grave 75.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

EAGER, Walter Sydney. Corporal 98196

Royal Army Service Corps
Died 12 May 1942 Age 24

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Son of Jack and Jessie Eager; husband of Rose Ella Eager, of Epsom, Surrey.

Buried: Moascar War Cemetery, 2. B. 19.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

EASTON, Charles William. Able Seaman (C/SS 9633)

Royal Navy H.M.S. Wakeful
Died 29 May 1940, aged 39

Charles William was born on 6 September 1900, the first of five children (four boys and one girl) born to Charles Frederick (a labourer) and Minnie (née Elsey) Easton - at the time, living in Boyne Cottages on Epsom Common. His parents were both from Epsom families (Charles Frederick's father being the publican at the Jolly Coopers Inn) and, on 24 February 1900, had married at Christ Church - where all their children were also baptised.

In Q1 1924, Charles William married Epsom girl Grace Elizabeth Louisa (née Skinner). The 1939 Register records Grace (but not Charles) living at 30 Brettgrove, Epsom with what appear to be at least one daughter (and probably two other children) and her widowed father, John Skinner.

During WW1, Charles' father had served in the Royal Navy - as Stoker Petty Officer on HMS Liffey, a destroyer engaged principally in patrolling the English Channel. Charles followed suit for WW2, serving as an Able Seaman on HMS Wakeful. As noted in the general article about WW2 fatalities in the Royal Navy, that destroyer was involved in Operation Dynamo - the mid-1940 evacuation from Dunkirk.

HMS Wakeful
HMS Wakeful
Image source Wikimedia Commons.

HMS Wakeful first arrived off Dunkirk on 27 May 1940 and took on 631 Allied troops. While returning them to Dover, she came under air attack and suffered minor damage below the waterline. Despite that near miss, the ship returned to Dunkirk to continue the evacuation and, on 28 May 1940, took on a further 640 Allied troops. While doing so, HMS Wakeful was struck by two torpedoes from the German E-Boat S-30, one of which hit the forward boiler room.

Casualties were very heavy: only 26 survived the resulting explosion and its aftermath. Charles Easton was among the 724 killed - as was fellow parishioner, Ernest Leverington.

Charles is remembered on the Chatham Naval Memorial which commemorates the 10,098 sailors of WW2 (and 8,517 of WW1) who have no known grave.

Roger Morgan © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

EATON, Frederick Murrey. Trooper (6472957)

46th Regiment, Reconnaissance Corps, Royal Armoured Corps.
Died 2 March 1943, aged 29

Frederick was born in Epsom on 7 February 1914. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission's records do not give the usual information about his parentage. As the birth records list his mother's maiden name as Eaton, it seems likely that she was not married.

In Q2 1939, the 25 year old Frederick married 28 year old Edith Rose Young. That marriage was registered in the Surrey Mid-Eastern District into which Epsom falls. The September 1939 Register records the couple living at 29 Church Street, Epsom. Frederick is listed as a builder's labourer abd Edith as "housewife". Living with them were 23 year old stable hand Gedrich Stephens and 25 year old nurse Jessie Idle. There is one currently closed record at the address but, as this comes below these others, should not be a family member. From Frederick's headstone, it is known he had a son - likely to be Peter M Eaton born Q4 1939.

The readily available records do not show when Frederick was called up. He must, however, have been in the 46th Regiment, Reconnaissance Corps, Royal Armoured Corps in time for mid-1942 training in the Godalming area. On 10 January 1943, he would have been among the troops sailing on the requisitioned liner "The Duchess of Bedford". This arrived in Algiers on 17 January 1943 and the transported troops became part of the 1st Army in North Africa.

After the tide of the war in North Africa had turned in the Allies' favour after the battles of El Alamein in the second half of 1942, additional pressure was brought on the Axis powers there by the November 1942 landings of Commonwealth and American troops in Algeria and Morocco. The Germans responded immediately by sending a force from Sicily to northern Tunisia which checked the Allied advances.

Frederick was involved in the fighting to regain the Allies' impetus. This was eventually achieved and the remaining Axis forces in North Africa surrendered on 8 May 1943. (The Allies thus secured the springboard for the invasion of Sicily in July 1943.)

However, Frederick did not live to see this: he was killed in action on 2 March 1943 and is buried in the Beja War Cemetery, Tunisia. His family took the option of adding a personal inscription to his headstone: "Years are swiftly passing but your memory lingers yet in the loving hearts of your wife, son and mother."

Roger Morgan © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

EDE, Reginald James. Driver (T/6354486)

37 Ambulance Car Company, Royal Army Service Corps
Died 3 August 1943, aged 20

Reginald was born Q2 1923, the second child and only son of James Thomas Ede and Daisy Gertrude (née Travers - they married Q4 1920). The parents' marriage and the births of Reginald and their other four children - Doris in 1922, Phyllis in 1924, Irene in 1927 and Edna in 1931 - were all registered in Epsom.

The 1939 Register finds the whole family (assuming that three of the currently closed records are the other three children - including the 16 year old Reginald) living at 26 Tonstall Road, Epsom, plus a couple of elderly Travers relatives. Father James is listed as a "Farm Carter" and Daisy with the conventional "Unpaid Domestic Duties".

The readily available records provide disappointingly little information about Reginald's WW2 service in the 37 Ambulance Car Company of the Royal Army Service Corps or, indeed, that Company's role as part of the Middle East Command which, during WW2, was active not only in the coastal Mediterranean area but also into Iraq and Persia (now Iran).

However, what is known (from Casualty List No. 1233 of 8 September 1943, which corrected the entry on the earlier Casualty List No. 1225) is that Reginald's death was the result of an accident.

Reginald is one of the 145 WW2 burials in the Mosul War Cemetery, which was originally established for WW1 casualties in the area. Some of the WW2 burials were brought in from elsewhere in Mosul and from Kirkuk. His family took the option of adding a personal inscription to his headstone: "Our beloved one. At rest with the Lord. Until we meet again."

Roger Morgan © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

EDWARDS, Clement Templeton. 2nd Radio Officer

Merchant Navy - SS Barrwhin
Died 29 October 1942, aged 22

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Clement was born in Q3 1920, the first of Walter Templeton Edwards and Mabel Ada (née Death). The birth was registered in Lincolnshire, where the parents had married on 30 November 1918. The Q2 1924 birth of their other child, Kenneth, was also registered in Lincolnshire.

The 1939 Register records mother Mabel (listed with the conventional "Unpaid Domestic Duties") living at 22 Woodcote Green Road, Epsom, with one currently closed record. That was doubtless one of the children, and probably Kenneth - although the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's post-war records list Clement as being "of" 22 Woodcote Green Road. Father Walter (a Civil Servant in the Inland Revenue) was away on business, staying in Spencer Gill's private hotel at 20 South Parade, Portsmouth. Another of the four guests there was Edward J Norman - an HM Tax Inspector and presumably Walter's boss.

Clement served as the 2nd Radio Officer on SS Barrwhin, a 5,000 ton merchant ship completed in 1929. In October 1942, the ship was part of Convoy HX-212 from Halifax, Nova Scotia to London. Her cargo was 8,200 tons of grain and military stores. In the early hours of 29 October, the convoy was attacked south of Iceland by U-boat U-624 which sank the 17,000 ton Kosmos II which was carrying 21,000 tons of crude oil and three landing craft as deck cargo. (The ship had been straggling since being hit by two torpedoes the previous day.) Of the 150 on board Kosmos II, 33 were lost. The SS Barrwhin was closely involved in rescuing the survivors and continued in the convoy with an additional 60 on board, taking its complement to 114.

The SS Barrwhin.
The SS Barrwhin.
Photograph from City of Vancouver Archives, CVA 447-1983.

At 2118 hours that same, the convoy was attacked again. SS Barrwhin was hit by one torpedo from U-boat U-436 and sank quickly. 12 crew members (including Clement) and 12 survivors from Kosmos II were lost. The master, 41 crew members and 48 Kosmos II survivors were picked up after about eight hours from rafts by a Canadian corvette (HMCS Kenogami - K 125) and landed at Londonderry.

As one of the many thousands of WW2 merchant seamen with no known grave, Clement is commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial.

Roger Morgan © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

EDWARDS, Frank. Private 4975595

2nd Bn. Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)
Died 16 May 1940 Age 20

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Ward of R. J. Brest, of Ewell, Surrey.

Buried: Heverlee War Cemetery, 12. B. 1.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

EDWARDS, Jack. Private (14433536)

4th Battalion, the Wiltshire Regiment
Died 23 July 1944, aged 19

Unusually, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission records contain no details of Jack's family background and his common names rule out tracing him with any confidence from the routinely available records. One forces record of his death notes that his birth county was Surrey, but that clue is insufficient to find an obvious candidate - and, of course, "Jack" may not have been his birth name.

Jack's WW2 service was with the Wiltshire Regiment's 4th Battalion. Given his age, his first taste of action would have been in Normandy, where the Regiment's 4th and 5th Battalions landed on 24 June 1944. The first D-Day landings had been on 6 June when the Allies had managed quickly to establish the necessary beachhead base. However, subsequent German resistance was much stiffer than anticipated, perhaps particularly in relation to the capture of their strategic stronghold of Caen some 10 miles from the coast.

The Allies did not complete their taking of Caen until 6 August, and it seems certain that Jack was killed in part of the fierce fighting before that. With over 2,000 other Commonwealth WW2 casualties, he is buried in the Banneville-La-Campagne War Cemetery on the western outskirts of Caen.

Roger Morgan © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

ELAND, Lucy Anne

Died 12 July 1944, aged 83

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Lucy was born in Tansor, Northamptonshire on 28 November 1861, the daughter of John (a licensed victualler) and Elizabeth Bletsoe.

In Q3 1882, she married Frederick Ernest Eland. He was also born in Northamptonshire, but the marriage was registered in the Holborn district of London. In spite of their distinctive names, the couple are not readily found in various Censuses. Frederick (a cabman) - but not Lucy - is found in the 1901 Census with two children living at 11, North Street, St Margaret and St John, St George Hanover Square.

Frederick died Q2 1938 (registered in Rochford, Essex) and the 1939 Register records the 77 year old Lucy (of "private means") living in what looks like a private lodging house run by the Faithfuls at 211 Selhurst Road, Croydon. The seven residents (other than the Faithfuls and their son) all seem unrelated except for what looks like Lucy's daughter Caroline who was born on 21 March 1901 - perhaps explaining Lucy's absence from home for that year's Census on 31 March.

On 29 June 1944, Lucy was injured by enemy action at 211 Selhurst Road. She was taken to Horton Emergency Hospital (one of Epsom's cluster of mental hospitals that, during both World Wars, was taken over for military use) and died there on 12 July 1944. She is buried Epsom Cemetery, Grave O415.

Roger Morgan © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

ELDRIDGE, Gordon Frederick. Sergeant (911677)

Royal 15 Squadron, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Died 19 September 1942, aged 21

Gordon Frederick Eldridge's birth was registered in the June quarter of 1921 in the Lambeth registration district (GRO reference: Jun 1921 Godfrey Lambeth 1d 523).

Gordon's father, Sidney Ernest Eldridge was born in the June quarter of 1895 in Marchwood, Hampshire, and his mother Beatrice Emily Godfrey was born in the March quarter of 1889 in the Bexhill, Sussex.

The 1901 census records Gordon's 12 year old mother living at 40 Belle Hill, Bexhill with her parents and three siblings. By 1911 she was a 22 year old shop assistant still living with her parents and three siblings at 40 Belle Hill, Bexhill.

In 1901 Gordon's 6 year old father was living at Pooks Green, Marchwood, Hampshire, with his parents and four siblings. By 1911 he was a 16 year old 'House Painter' living at his uncle Arthur Frampton's home at Fernhill Lane, New Milton, Hampshire.

Gordon's father, Sidney Ernest Eldridge, joined the Metropolitan police on 2 February 1920 and had the warrant number 108969.

Gordon's parents married in the June 1920 quarter in the St. Olave registration district. Gordon was their only child and at some point he was an employee of Epsom and Ewell Council.

Electoral registers tell us that between 1923 and 1926 the family lived at 88 Pullen's Buildings, Penton Place, Southwark, and between in 1927 and 1928 they lived at 10 Coniston Road, Coulsdon.

Gordon's father was a serving police constable in Z Division when he was fatally injured in a collision with a lorry while cycling to duty at Kenley on 5 March 1928. He was aged 33 and left just over 109 to his widow and young son.

In 1930 Gordon and his mother were living at 28 Coniston Road, Coulsdon and in 1937 and 1938 at 84 Hook Road, Epsom.

Gordon joined the Royal Air Force Reserve, to serve as Sergeant 911677 in No. 7 Squadron, RAF. Over the night of 24/25 August 1942 he was aboard Stirling I BF335 MG-E, piloted by Sgt J E Land RCAF, on an operation to Frankfurt. Having taken off at 2019 from Oakington, Cambridgeshire, the aircraft was seriously shot up by a night-fighter and crashed at 0041, whilst trying to make an emergency landing at Abingdon. No serious injuries were then reported.

He moved on to No. 15 Squadron, which had also been equipped with the four-engined Short Stirling, operating out of Bourn, Cambridgeshire, from August 1942. On 18 September 1942 he was assigned for mine laying operations in the 'Undergrowth and Yew Tree areas' in the shallow sea called Kattegat, between Denmark and Sweden, aboard N3759, LS- Q. The crew of that aircraft comprised: -
P/O J. E. Land RCAF - Pilot
Sgt R. F. Lowrie - Flight Engineer
Sgt G. Hayes
Flt Sgt W. D. Probert RCAF
Flt Sgt F. E. Davidson RCAF
Sgt G. F. Eldridge
Flt Sgt C. R. Bee RCAF
They were lost without trace on 19 September 1942 but their names are recorded on the Runnymede Memorial.

Gordon's mother, a widow, of 56 Lower Court Road, died on 13 February 1959 at Epsom Cottage Hospital. Probate in the sum of 348 11s. 5d. was granted to Albert John Godfrey, an omnibus driver.

Gordon is commemorated in the Book of Remembrance in the foyer of the Town Hall, the wooden plaque commemorating Council employees, also in the foyer of the Town Hall and on the St. Barnabas Roll of Honour.

Clive Gilbert & Hazel Ballan 2014

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

ELLIS, Henry Turnell. Sergeant 1253992

40 Sqdn. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Died 24 July 1941 Age 25

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

The marriage of Thomas Barnes Ellis (b. reg. Tiverton 1872) to Annie Turnell Haws (b. reg. Kingston 6/1878) was registered in Bedford for the June Quarter of 1902. Birth of their son Henry T Ellis came to be recorded at Barnet, 12/1915.

Thomas Barnes Ellis had entered the Post Office as a Clerk on 1 December 1891: in 1919 he was was appointed Principal Clerk to the Public Works Loan Board to be promoted Assistant Secretary and Chief Clerk during 1928 and awarded an ISO, 1929.

In 1906, Thomas Barnes Ellis of Oakwood, Sharnbrook, had been listed as a Land Tax Commissioner in Bedfordshire. He and his wife were still in Bedford RDC area for the 1939 Register but Henry Turnell Ellis appears then to have been living in London. Henry enlisted with the Royal Air Force in September 1940, probably at Uxbridge.

On 24 July 1941, a Wellington IC, T2986, BL-A, of 40 Squadron RAF Alconbury, flown by Sgt Mervyn Evans, RNZAF, was hit by flak above Laninon and came down in Brest town killing all the crew.

They were interred at Brest (Kerfautras) Cemetery Plot 40, Row 2: -
Sergeant. (2nd Pilot). ELLIS, HENRY TURNELL, RAFVR, 25, Grave 11,
Flight Sergeant. (W.Op./Air Gnr.). BERESFORD, CHARLES STANLEY, RAFVR, Grave 8,
Sergeant. (Pilot). EVANS, MERVYN, DFM, RNZAF, 25, Grave 6,
Sergeant. (Air Gnr.). HOBAN, JAMES, RAFVR, 21, Grave 15,
Sergeant. (Obs.). KYBIRD, STANLEY GEORGE, RAFVR, 21, Grave 15
Sergeant. (W.Op./Air Gnr.).LOWREY, FRANK, RAFVR, 20, Grave 4.
H T Ellis is commemorated on Sharbrook War Memorial, Bedfordshire.

Henry Ellis' Will gave his address as Alconbury House, Huntingdonshire. His parents came to live locally during or after WW2. On 29 December 1950, after a brief illness, Thomas Barnes Ellis, aged 78, late of Sharnbrook died at the home of his daughter 45 Branksome Road Southend-on- Sea. For Probate, his residence was stated to have been 25 West Mead, Ewell Court, Ewell, Surrey.

Brian Bouchard © 2018

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

ELLIS, William Proctor

Died 11 October 1940, aged 66

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

William was born in Lancashire on 17 March 1874 but there is currently too little information to trace his parentage with any confidence in the readily available records. In Q2 1926, William married Daisy Mabel Whyatt. The marriage, when they were aged 50 and 48 respectively, was registered in Wandsworth. Given their ages, it is unsurprising to find no record of any children.

The 1939 Register records the couple living alone at 114 Cranston Road, Forest Hill, SW London. William is listed as an architect and engineering draughtsman, and Daisy with the conventional "Unpaid Domestic Duties".

On 4 October 1940, barely a month into the Luftwaffe's "Blitz" bombing campaign, a bomb fell on the Ellises' home of 114 Cranston Road. While Daisy was killed instantly, William was injured. He was taken to Horton Emergency Hospital (one of Epsom's cluster of mental hospitals that, during both World Wars, was taken over for military use) and died there a week later, on 11 October 1940.

Roger Morgan © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

ELSON Arthur James. Controller

Air Raid Precautions - Penge U.D
Died 1 May 1941, aged 63

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Arthur was born in Epsom on 28 October 1877, the first child of James and Elizabeth Elson. The couple had a daughter in early 1881 and that year's Census records the family of four living at 10 Church Street, Epsom. James is listed as a "Wheelwright Master Employing 5 Men". (His younger brother William - also a wheelwright - was also living with them.) By the time of the 1901 Census, the family - now with four children - had moved to the since demolished "Edenhurst" in Church Street. James is now listed as a "Coach Builder" and the 23 year old Arthur as "Surveyor's Assistant"

In Q3 1909, Arthur married Enid Katherine Cripps. The 1911 Census records the couple living at 66 Tremaine Road, Anerley, Penge and the 33 year old Arthur is listed as "Assistant Surveyor" for the Urban District Council. 27 year old Enid was pregnant at the time: their only child, Mary, was born on 23 July 1911.

In 1923, Arthur co-authored (with S J Clark) "The Official Guide to Penge and Anerley".

By the time of the 1939 Register, the couple were living at 169 Croydon Road, Penge, the 61 year old Arthur is listed as "Clerk Of The Penge Urban District Council" (and, on the original record, as "Sub-Controller for Civil Defence ARP Service"); 56 year old Enid with the conventional "Unpaid Domestic Duties"; and 18 year old Mary as "Teacher Of Dancing".

Presumably while carrying out ARP duties (of which he became the local Controller) in Anerley Road on 19 March 1941, Arthur was badly injured by enemy action. He was taken to Beckenham Hospital and died there on 1 May 1941, aged 63. He is buried in Beckenham Cemetery.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission's post-war records noted that the widowed Enid then lived at 38 Sherborne Court, Anerley.

Roger Morgan © 2017

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

EVANS, Albert B. Fireman

Auxiliary Fire Service
Died 16 September 1940, aged 31

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Albert was born on 9 September 1909 but there is currently too little information to trace his parentage with any confidence in the readily available records.

In Q4 1937, he married Bessie E Vinicombe. Both were aged 24, and the marriage was registered in Wandsworth. The 1939 Register records the couple living alone at 68 Bradstock Road, Stoneleigh. Albert is listed as a "Photo Engravers Draughtsman", and Bessie with the conventional "Unpaid Domestic Duties". There is no record of their having any children.

Albert's employment was presumably in London where, in WW2, he also served in the Auxiliary Fire Service - there is a (possibly incomplete) annotation beside his name in the original 1939 Register which reads "AFS London B2826".

After the RAF had prevailed in the Battle of Britain, the Luftwaffe's next step was its intensive bombing campaign against industrial targets, towns and cities. This began on 7 September and became known as the Blitz. During a late evening raid on Monday 16 September, bombs had fallen on five-storey offices in Great Portland Street. At about 2230 hours, firemen (including Albert) were summoned from Station 73 at Euston to tackle the resulting fire. When they arrived, the top two storeys of the building were already ablaze and the fire was spreading rapidly. Even though the raid was continuing, Euston's mobile turntable ladder was deployed with a fireman at the top of its extended ladder to direct water down onto the blaze. Other firemen tackled the fire from ground level.

At 2300 hours, a high explosive bomb scored a direct hit on the turntable ladder. This blasted its main chassis through the front of 112 Great Portland Street and instantly killed both Albert and Senior Fireman Thomas Curson. District Officer Joseph Tobias was mortally wounded by the blast and died in Middlesex Hospital the following day.

The bomb crater outside 112 Great Portland Street.
The bomb crater outside 112 Great Portland Street.
Photograph from the Steve Hunnisett collection, used by permission.

The devastation.
On the left, the devastation at ground level and,
on the right, a close up of 112 Great Portland Street and the wrecked turntable ladder.
Photographs from the Steve Hunnisett collection, used by permission.

The extended ladder and its supporting frame were blasted upwards by the explosion and came to rest on the roof of the building. Against all the odds, the fireman operating at its top was blown clear and, albeit badly injured, survived the experience. The blast from this bomb also not only severely damaged surrounding properties (and two further firemen were badly injured by falling masonry) but also fractured both water and gas mains. In spite of the horrendous circumstances, the surviving firefighters continued their work: an alternative water supply was located and the fires were successfully tackled.

Albert and his two colleagues are commemorated on a memorial unveiled nearby in November 2015 as part of a continuing project by the charity Firemen Remembered to help ensure that the bravery and dedication of the many WW2 firefighters killed in the line of their duties is never forgotten.

The memorial to Albert and his colleagues.
The memorial to Albert and his colleagues.
Photograph by Steve Hunnisett, used by permission.

Roger Morgan © 2017
With great thanks to Steve Hunnisett's Blitzwalkers blog for the incident details.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

Everett, Daniel Bulmer, Squadron Leader (Pilot) 155223.

Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve No. 35 Squadron
Died 7 March 1945, aged 24

Sgt D B Everett, 1263497, No. 158 Squadron
Sgt D B Everett, 1263497, No. 158 Squadron
Image source: 158 Squadron Association Archive,
with kind permission of Rolph Walker, 158 SA Archivist/Historian.

On 14 June 1905, Harold Bulmer Everett (b. 6 April 1878), from Wimbledon, married Ellen Ada Mary Edwards (b. 14 April 1877) [reg. Kingston 6/1905]. She was the daughter of Patrick John Edwards of Blakesley, Merton Park. The groom had qualified a a Chartered Accountant to practice as Messrs Harold Everettt & Co from 3/7 Southampton Street, Strand. Birth of their son Daniel B Everett (apparently on 15 October 1920) came to be registered in Epsom, 12/1920, where the family lived at 'Stoneleigh', 26 Woodcote Park Road.

Daniel Bulmer Everett enlisted in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve to be inducted around May 1940, probably at RAF Uxbridge. With a Service Number 1263497, he trained to fly with the rank of Sergeant. In July 1942 he was stationed at RAF Bicester, seemingly as a pilot with 13 Operational Training Unit which trained light day bomber aircrew on Bristol Blenheims.

This was followed by a period with 1652 Heavy Conversion Unit, Marston Moor.

Having been posted to 158 Squadron at Lissett 28/2/43, he flew (familiarly known as 'Dan' or 'Danny') in the position of 2nd Pilot on operations: -
8/3/43 - Nuremberg (F/Lt. A.S. Woolnough)
11/3/43 - Stuttgart (F/Sgt. R.D. Roberts)
28/3/43 - St. Nazaire
3/4/43 - Essen
4/4/43 - Kiel [The mid upper gunner sighted a twin engined aircraft, presumed to be a Me 110 with a yellow light in the nose at approx 320 yards range, dead ahead, 45 degrees up. The enemy aircraft dived to attack and the Halifax turned to starboard and then did a violent turn to port. The enemy aircraft did not fire but the Mid Upper gunner on the Halifax fired a three second burst. The enemy aircraft broke away to starboard quarter and was lost. 150 rounds were fired by the Halifax.]

Danny Everett
Danny Everett
Image courtesy of the late Eddie Fell, of Driffield, former chairman-membership officer
of the 158 Squadron Association

On 9/4/43 he was detached to No 1502 Beam Approach Training Flight at RAF Driffield, flying: -
20/4/43 - Stettin
12/5/43 - Duisburg
13/5/43 - Bochum
23/5/43 - Dortmund
25/5/43 - Dusseldorf
27/5/43 - Essen
Promoted on 29/5/43 Pilot Officer (Probation/Emergency), 155223, he then joined 35 (Pathfinder) Squadron at RAF Graveley, part of No 8 Group In March 1944 that squadron re-equipped with the Avro Lancaster.

In Bomber Command generally, a tour of operations had been 30 missions followed by a break, often instructing away from the Squadron, before recall for a further round. Having been picked or volunteered for the Pathfinder Force, however, the requirement was to serve only a single tour, but of 45 missions, and then no more in the European Theatre of Operations.

Awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (as P/O. in 35 Sqn.) as shown by the London Gazette dated 21 January 1944. No citation was published but original recommendation dated 29 October 1943 read: -
'Pilot Officer Everett was captain of an aircraft detailed to attack Kassel on the night of 22/23rd October 1943. En route to the target the weather was particularly bad and some of his blind flying instruments became inoperative owing to the icing conditions. This officer carried on despite this handicap as he fully realised the importance of this special task and at the target he made a most successful attack, this being proved by an excellent photograph. Throughout the 33 night bombing attacks in which he has taken part, Pilot Officer Everett has consistently maintained an extremely high standard of tenacity and reliability and it is considered that the fine results he achieved in this attack fully merits the immediate (amended to non immediate by the AOC) award of the Distinguished Flying Cross'.
Advanced to Flying Officer (Probation/War sub.), 29/11/43.

DB Everett appears to have been posted out of 35 squadron during March 1944, presumably to be rested upon completion of his operational tour. No.35 Squadron's Operations Record Book shows that he returned to the squadron on 22 August 1944 from the Pathfinder Force Navigational Training Unit. The ORB records that he subsequently participated in 46 operations between 25 August 1944 and 7 March 1945.

Award of a First Bar to the Distinguished Flying Cross (as A/F/Lt. No. 35 Sqn.) published in the London Gazette dated 16 January 1945. No citation detailed but the original recommendation dated 21 October 1944 read: -
'This officer, now on his second operational tour, is a brilliant captain of aircraft, possessing the greatest determination on operations and the utmost thoroughness in all matters of airmanship.
Since being awarded the D.F.C. he has taken part in many attacks against the enemy on widely separated targets such as Berlin, Nuremberg, the Ruhr and Army support attacks in Normandy. Whatever the target and whatever the task, he can be depended upon to mark and bomb with the greatest reliability. Flight Lieutenant Everett continues to show the keenest desire to operate against the enemy on all possible occasions and his enthusiasm and efficiency sets an example to the entire Squadron. In recognition of this Officer's fine record of service, he is recommended for the non-immediate award of a Bar to the Distinguished Flying Cross'.
On 14 January 1945 he had piloted an Avro Lancaster PB684 (TL-B) from Graveley to Merseburg - Leuna. That aircraft was hit by a bomb dropped by a friendly aircraft over the target area; the rear turret was smashed and later broke away taking with it the body of the rear gunner F/O Raymond Terence Salvoni, DFC, who was thought to have been killed by the impact of the bomb.

Awarded a Second Bar to the Distinguished Flying Cross (as A/S/Ldr. No. 35 Sqn.) according to the London Gazette dated 27 March 1945 [almost three weeks after the recipient's demise]. Citation : -
"One night in February 1945, Squadron Leader Everett was pilot and captain of aircraft detailed to attack Goch. Whilst making his first run over the target his aircraft was badly hit. The starboard main plane was extensively damaged and the starboard inner engine caught fire. Momentarily the aircraft went out of control. Squadron Leader Everett quickly levelled out though and feathered the propeller of the burning engine. The flames were then extinguished. Although unable to assess the full extent of the damage sustained, Squadron Leader Everett went on to several further runs over the target, which he only left after he was satisfied as to the success of the operation. He afterwards flew the badly damaged aircraft safely to base. This officer displayed a high degree of skill, courage and resolution throughout."
This is somewhat abridged from the original recommendation dated 18 February 1945 (which was actually for the award of the Distinguished Service Order but amended to that of the second Bar): -
"On the night of 7th February 1945, Squadron Leader Everett was captain of an aircraft detailed to attack Goch, his task being vital to the success of the attack and the safety of our own troops.
Whilst making his first run over the target, before the attack began, his aircraft was involved in a collision which resulted in extensive damage to the starboard main plane and inner engine which caught fire. Squadron Leader Everett skilfully regained control, feathered the engine and put out the fire. Although unable to assess the full extent of the damage and knowing full well that in all probability the wing itself had been weakened structurally, this officer made several further runs over the target and remained in the target area until the last of the bombers had left, and only after he had satisfied himself that the attack had been successfully delivered did he set course for base where he made a masterly landing without further incident. Squadron Leader Everett, by his realisation of the importance of his task accepted the great hazard of remaining in the target area for a long period in a badly damaged aircraft, displaying courage and tenacity of the highest order, and it is considered that his magnificent example fully merits the immediate award of the second Bar to D.F.C."
By then he had flown a total of 85 sorties.

Promoted Flight Lieutenant (War sub.), 25/2/45 - Acting Squadron Leader.

Lancaster ME361, a Mk.111 delivered to 35 Squadron ex-32MU in November 1944, had taken part in the following Operations: Cologne 23 December 1944, Daylight Hannover 5/6 January 1945, Duisburg 21/22 February 1945.

Although ordered to take a rest after 98 sorties and assigned to PFF Group Maintenance Unit testing aircraft Danny Everett is reported to have heard that a spare aircraft was 'going begging' at his old squadron [Pathfinders at War, 1977, and Bomber Barons, 2001, by Chaz Bowyer ]. He was said to have authorised his own participation in the raid by 35 Squadron having gathered together a scratch crew for what was to be his 99th and last, Operation.

A similar story appeared in We Act With One Accord, 35 Squadron, Alan Cooper, 1998, Pilot Officer White who had played chess with Danny immediately before take off noted that he appeared to be suffering from stress, sweating profusely. 1063420 Flight Sergeant Frank Joseph Tudor, DFM, his Wireless Operator, observed that this pilot was 'a very quiet person but knew what it was all about, he liked having a beer with his crew... He was a great man who never panicked and could not be faulted. His great aim in life was to get it all over as soon as possible'.

There were a number of relatively highly ranked, and decorated, fliers with him - Plt. Off. K G Munro, RAAF, Flg. Off. J M Aylieff, DFC, Flt. Lt. C G Mitchell, DFC, RCAF, Flt. Lt. C O Russell, DFC, Flt. Lt. R C Chapman, Flg. Off. R M Weller, DFC, & Flg. Off. A H Pidgeon.

On 7 May 1945, 256 Halifaxes and 25 Lancasters of Nos. 4, 6 & 8 Groups attacked the Deutsche Erdoel oil refinery at Hemmingstedt, near Heide, with little success - 4 Halifaxes and 1 Lancaster were lost. Airborne 18.53hrs on 7 March 1945 from Graveley as Master Bomber for the raid on the Deutsche Erdoel oil refinery, Sqn Ldr Everett's aircraft was shot down at about 22.00 hrs. in the target area. P/O Bob White, with whom he had been playing chess before departure, saw the aircraft go down, apparently hit by flak. (Luftgau kommando files record "Hemmingstedt lanc 35 me361 n/f [night fighter] hemmingstedt, 5 km s heide (UT42) ca. 2200" [RG 242.4.2 at NARA in the US: Microfilm frame 132351 ] but a card RL 19/470 at BA/MA in Germany summarises the Flak claim by 3. Flak-Division which lists the seven batteries making the claim )

Touchingly, the Ottawa Journal, 10 December 1947, reported a posthumous award to the next of kin of ME361's Canadian Navigator -
"'In the name of His Majesty the King … I give you the medal which your father won …' Viscount Alexander, Governor-General, bowed and smiled as he handed the Distinguished Flying Cross to 4-year-old Kenneth Mitchell of Victoria at an investiture today in Government House. It was the medal Kenneth's father, the late Flt. Lt. C. G. Mitchell, had won for "devotion to duty." The lad and his mother had travelled from the west coast to receive the award".
[No citation other than completed numerous operations against the enemy in the course of which he has invariably displayed the utmost fortitude courage and devotion to duty. Recommendation dated 18 February 1945, National Archives, Air 2/ 9070.]

Daniel was buried with his crew in the Hamburg Cemetery, Germany, known locally as 'Ohlsdorf '. His father, Harold Bulmer Everett, died, aged 70, 25 September 1948 and was interred at Gap Road Cemetery, Wimbledon. The widowed Mrs Ellen Ada Mary Everett, passed away 16 August 1950 to be buried in plot G588 Epsom Cemetery three days later.

Ellen Everett's Headstone in Epsom Cemetery
Ellen Everett's Headstone Detail
Daniel's inscription on his mother's headstone in Epsom Cemetery
Image courtesy of Brian Bouchard ©2014.

With grateful acknowledgement of material supplied by the late Eddie Fell, of Driffield, former chairman-membership officer of the158 Squadron (RAF Bomber Command) Association and Pete Tresadern of the No. 35 Squadron - From Thetford to Scampton website.

Brian Bouchard 2014

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

Please Note: We believe that the information on this page is accurate however users should satisfy themselves that the information is correct before incurring any expense or undertaking any journeys. This is particularly important when purchasing certificates from other bodies, for example the General Register Office. You might like to use the following links to Freebmd and Find My Past (Links open in a new window).

War Memorials
War Memorials
All Saints
All Saints
Dipping Well
Dipping Well
Ashley Road
Ashley Road
St Mary's Ewell
St Mary's Ewell
Sgt. Green and the Epsom Riot
Epsom Riot
Woodcote Camp
Woodcote Camp