ANDREWS, Mrs Hilda
COOK, Donald G
CRUMP, Jack Cyril Glass
FARMER, William Robert Gamul Godfrey
LONGHURST, Stanley Charles
NICHOLLS, Alfred William (Updated 27/02/2012)
NORTHEY, Edward Richard
O'HEA, Ignatius John 'Jack'
PERCEVAL, Charles George 7th Earl Of Egmont
PLUMMER, Seymour Douglas
SEYMOUR, Basil Frederick
TRITTON, Arthur Henry
TUDOR REES, John Thomas
VINCENT, Rev. Sir William
WEST, Charles Robert Roberts
|Sacred to the memory of
for upwards of thirty one years the beloved wife
of ROBERT CARTER Esqr.
who died June 3rd, 1852,
aged 59 years. A sincere Christian, a devoted wife and faithful
friend. A benevolent neighbour.
she was loved and respected in life and in her
death universally lamented.
Her earthly remains are interred in the family vault
in this Churchyard
'Late in the 17th century this house was built, and perhaps was occupied by some substantial yeoman who had his farmyard adjoining and holdings in the common fields.
The house, which outside resembles the contemporary building at Woodcote End, Epsom, is of two storeys, with attic and cellar, and is built of 2 inch red bricks, ornamented with moulded cornice, plinth and string-course. It appears that there was a back-addition which has since been extended; and that alterations were made early in the 19th century, while about 1888 the house was enlarged east and west on both floors. The sashes have outside frames and some old sash-bars remain. The handsome wooden porch has three-quarter Doric columns and a broken entablature with pediment and arched doorway.
The staircase, which is uniform up to the top floor, is framed with a solid string, turned tapered balusters, breaks in the hand-rail and double newel on the first floor. The north-east lower room has a plaster cornice of egg and tongue pattern, and still has its stone or marble chimney-piece with flat arch and key-stone of Restoration type. The south-west room has a moulded plaster cornice; and a room in the back-addition has a marble chimney-piece of late 18th-century style. The bedrooms have moulded plaster cornices and stone or wooden chimney-pieces all of the period of the house.
In the middle of the 19th century the house was inhabited by Mrs. Cutler, one of a family of farmers and maltsters in Ewell. It is now the property of A. W. Nicholls, Esq.'