In 2009 Bourne Hall Museum put together an exhibition of photos in Bourne Hall foyer, bringing back to life long-gone buildings of character that many argue should never have been demolished. Jeremy Harte, the museum curator, very kindly gave us access to the images which we have put on these pages.
Epsom's first cinema, the Electric Theatre, opened in 1910 at the foot of Hook Road. Later, when electricity had lost something of its novelty, it was renamed the Pavilion.
The Granada Cinema opened as the Capitol in 1929, changing its name in 1947, and coming down in 1960
The Electric Theatre
The Odeon was built where Chamberlain's Bakery had previously stood in 1937, the year that Oscar Deutsch's original cinema chain went public. Its closure in 1971 followed a general fall in the fortunes of cinema.
John Hatchard Smith, Epsom resident and architect of London's Trocadero, designed the Public Hall in 1883.
Serving the new communities of Stoneleigh and Ewell Court, the Rembrandt Cinema ran from 1938 to 1998 when it went out with a screening of The Last Picture Show.
The Odeon brought a little Hollywood glamour to the north-west corner of Epsom High Street until demolition in 1972.