The Epsom And Ewell War Hospital (Grandstand)
The 1914 Luncheon Annexe prior to demolition.
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2007
Completed by 9 April 1914, in time for the 1914 Derby race, a new four-floor luncheon annex had been built behind the main Epsom Racecourse Grandstand, connected to it by a bridge walkway. However the outbreak of the Great War on 4 August 1914 was about to radically change its intended use.
On Monday 10 August 1914 the doctors of the Borough arranged for a meeting to be held to consider the possibility of offering to the War Office a hospital for the wounded. The meeting, held in Epsom's Public Hall, was crowded to overflowing, hundreds of people being obliged to remain outside to await the outcome. The idea to provide a hospital for war wounded originated with Dr. Thornley, and subsequently a Surrey Emergency Committee was formed to ensure that efforts throughout the county did not overlap, thereby preventing waste.
The hospital would relieve pressure on the main London hospitals and the proposal was that, the people of Epsom and Ewell, would provide all its equipment and bear all its costs. The proposed hospital would be needed for only a short time as the general feeling across the country was that the war would not last for very long, indeed most thought that it would be 'over by Christmas'. How wrong they all were!
Mr N.M. Dorling, on behalf of the Grandstand Association readily offered the grandstand annex for six months. Did he think the war would be over by then, and the annex would be back to its intended use by Derby day 1915? There were already about 80 beds in the building, and it was for equipment that subscriptions were asked for with the hope that £200 would be given that evening. Dr. Bayley Peacock offered to reside at the Grandstand as resident medical officer. Also a number of local ladies offered to make useful things and a number of vehicle owners offered the free loan of their vehicles. A suitable lady offered to act as matron as six or seven nurses were needed plus several voluntary helpers. Offers to give lectures to the helpers were also received. Dr Williamson agreed to ensure that the sanitary arrangements were adequate, and it was suggested that the wives of men on active service should do the cleaning.
The Reverend E.W. Northey put the proposal to the meeting, which was unanimously approved, and an executive committee was selected. During the evening two promises to donate were made, £100 from Mr C.H. Garton of Banstead Wood and £1 from the Epsom Boy Scouts Association. The 'Epsom and Ewell War Hospital' was about to become a reality.
The 18 September edition of the Epsom Advertiser reported that the newly built Grandstand Luncheon Annex had been accepted by the War Office and temporarily converted to a military hospital. It had between sixty and seventy beds ready and patients were expected soon.
The 1914 Luncheon Annexe prior to demolition.
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2007
October 9 saw the hospital still empty, and TOUCHSTONE (a regular Advertiser writer) of the Epsom Advertiser was moved to write:
A question often put to me is "Have the wounded soldiers arrived on the Downs yet?" and once again a clarion voice replies, "No, not yet." The beds and bedding, with which the Grand Stand has been equipped, were beautifully aired a fortnight ago preparatory to the arrival of the patients but they are still empty. No doubt they will be occupied some day. Epsomians hope the time will not long be delayed, as they are thirsting to have a chat with these men who have such absorbing narratives to unfold.
The Epsom and Ewell War Hospital (also known as the Grandstand Hospital) was the first of four war hospitals to open in the Borough, and finally received its first patients at 4pm on Monday 12 October 1914, just four hours after King George V had inspected some 3,000 troops from the Royal Fusiliers, part of the University and Public Schools Brigade, on Epsom Downs. A small crowd had gathered to watch the wounded arrive, but they saw very little, having to remain outside and view through the railings. The four patients in the Red Cross ambulance were carefully lifted by the Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) onto stretchers and were carried to the ward on the top floor of the building and gently placed in bed. Before the last man had been removed another ambulance arrived with six more wounded soldiers. Belgian soldiers had been expected amongst the first admissions, but they were to arrive later. All of the first admissions had wounds to the lower part of the body, mainly legs and thighs, none life threatening but far from being convalescent. Most had received their wounds fighting in the battle of Mons, and all had previously been treated at the Royal Herbert Hospital, Woolwich. Another 31 were admitted on 15 October, having travelled by train to Epsom station, and then in motor ambulances to the Grandstand hospital.
The Epsom Advertiser dated 16 October wrote fondly of the transformation of the Luncheon Annex to a War Hospital:
Few buildings probably lend themselves better for adapting as a hospital than the grand stand, and, from a medical point of view, the rooms - or wards as they are now described - leave little to be desired. They have been admirably furnished, and everything is clean and tidy. Moreover, they are beautifully airy and roomy, and the building could not be situate in a more salubrious position. The Downs is a very healthy spot, and the exhilarating fresh air, which gives it such a bracing atmosphere, will help very materially to bring about the speedy recovery of the patients. Through the generosity of Epsom people and residents in the neighbouring districts it has been possible to provide accommodation for no fewer than 63 beds. There are three wards, each named after one or other of the famous races which attract such large crowds to this historic race course every year. One is named the "Derby" Ward, another the "Oaks" and the other the "City". They are furnished with beds of single pattern, and there is ample warm covering for each. On the ground floor is a spacious room, which is used for storage, and accommodation for the doctors and nurses is provided in other parts of the buildings.
In its first seven-month existence, the Grandstand hospital lost three of its patients, all in October 1914. They were William Andrewartha, died 16th, Thomas Simms, died 17th, (both served in the Manchester Regiment), and Edmond Buchanan, died 23rd, who served in the North Irish Horse. They are buried together in plot D220A in Epsom Cemetery.
On 6 November the Epsom Advertiser reported that:
Favourable progress is being made by the wounded soldiers who are being treated at the Epsom and Ewell War Hospital on the Downs and several of the patients are now convalescent. Those of them who are well enough to leave their beds are taken out for motor rides occasionally and are allowed to walk about on the Downs when the weather is fine. Practically all the men are out of danger despite the critical condition which some of them were in when they arrived, thanks to the care, attention and skill of the staff, although their wounds were such that it will be some time before they will have recovered. The condition of one of the Belgians is regarded as very serious, but hope of his recovery has not been abandoned.
The following week it was reported that the Belgian soldier, who had a bullet wound in one of his lungs, was still causing concern, and that a total of 58 men were under the care of the hospital. An appeal was made for local people who owned cars, to loan them so that more convalescents could be taken out for joy rides. During the week, five of the patients were removed to a house in Burgh Heath which had been made available by Mrs Coleman for the use of convalescents, and to entertain the patients, men from the Public Schools Brigade billeted in Epsom gave a concert.
On the 20 November it was reported that the wounded were making good progress and several had been discharged. Including the six who had been sent to Mrs Coleman's convalescent home in Burgh Heath, the Hospital Committee now looked after 53 patients. One of the British soldiers about to be discharged left without permission and ended up in Court. Presumably, being a soldier albeit a wounded one, he was deemed 'Absent Without Leave' (AWOL)! During the week two concerts were held for the patients, one from Miss Gillander's Concert Party from Purley, and the other from the Tattenham Corner Fusiliers. Apparently both were greatly appreciated by the soldiers. In these days before television and radio, live concerts were the main form of entertainment, and were a constant feature of hospital life.
It seems that the good people of Epsom and Ewell kept up a constant supply of gifts to the patients, and the Hospital Committee gratefully acknowledged the gifts received for the benefit of the patients, but stated that they now had an ample supply of socks, new or second-hand boots would now be welcomed, as most of the wounded had arrived barefoot.
By 27 November the number of patients had reduced from over 60 to 45 and of those, only two were giving any cause for concern; the Belgian soldier with the bullet wound in his lung and another with an arm wound for whom an amputation was at one time considered. More concerts were organised by Mrs Graham, assisted by the Tattenham Corner Fusiliers. The Hospital Committee gratefully acknowledged various gifts but now, not only appealed urgently for boots, also stated that new laid eggs would be greatly appreciated. They also made an appeal for transport to take the nurses home at night after their work shift.
The 1914 Luncheon Annexe prior to demolition.
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2007
Some local residents asked if they might be allowed to entertain a few of the convalescents in their homes, but the response to these requests was the distribution of copies of the seemingly draconian War Office regulation which states that:
When military patients are taken out in motor cars for pleasure drives, care should be taken that they are not offered alcoholic drink, nor should they be allowed to visit private houses or to attend public entertainments.
Towards the end of November 1914 the Waterworks engineer submitted a request for £150 to buy an electrically driven turbine pump to supply the additional 5,000 gallons a day needed by the hospital. It was also pointed out that the new pump could also render assistance to the other camps on the Downs in case of fire.
During December 1914 the Hospital Committee thanked the residents of Epsom and district for the gifts sent, but once again appealed for new laid eggs and also asked for Christmas decorations. Amongst the gifts were some pheasants sent by King George V, and game sent by Lord Rosebery, whilst Queen Mary promised to send tobacco and cigarettes. It appears that all the patients still came from the Royal Herbert Hospital, Woolwich. The officer in charge at Woolwich, Colonel Simpson, visited the Grandstand Hospital, witnessed an operation, and declared himself truly pleased with all that he saw. Various entertainments were provided throughout the month performed by George Furniss, Vera Stredwick, the Public Schools Brigade, the pupils of Miss Gedge, Madame Clara Butt and the Rumford Concert Party, Mr & Mrs Bainbridge, the Misses Bainbridge and Master G. Saville. The Epsom Advertiser dated 1 January 1915 printed an article outlining the Christmas festivities at the Hospital:
ENTERTAINING WOUNDED SOLDIERS. "A bright and happy Christmas" was the cordial wish that was extended to the wounded soldiers who were being cared for in the Epsom and Ewell War Hospital on the Downs, and it was fulfilled. The committee who have charge of this hospital did all in their power to bring about the fulfilment of that happy wish, and, their efforts being admirably seconded by the generously disposed residents in Epsom and neighbourhood, they were successful in achieving their object. Everything was done for the soldiers, so that, despite their suffering, this Christmas should bring some joy into their hearts, and the verdict of them all was that they spent an extremely pleasant time. All the wards were decorated, each according to the tastes of the various sisters, and were made to appear exceedingly pretty. In one of them stood a large Christmas tree, and during the festival celebration the presents which hung thereon were distributed among the patients, each of whom, numbering in all 39, received two or three gifts. Each soldier was also the recipient of the King and Queen's Christmas greeting, and a box of cigarettes from Queen Alexandra, while Lady Margaret Percy sent booklets in French and Flemish to the Belgians who are in the hospital. There were special meals on Christmas Day, turkeys having been sent by Mrs. Colman, and Christmas puddings by Mrs. A.W. Aston, and subsequently a concert was held. In this very enjoyable event practically all the patients participated, those who were unable to walk being wheeled into the room, and they were dressed as minstrels, the staff also taking part. The musical items were all greatly appreciated, and the mirth-making contributors caused many a patient to forget his suffering even though it was for a short time. Not the least enjoyable contribution was that of a Belgian soldier, who sang the one-time favourite song "Yip-i-addy-i-ay-i-ay" in his own language, and the chorus went with a swing - a medley of English, French and Flemish. During the day the Matron (Miss Blainey), the resident Medical Officer (Dr. Bailey Peacock) and the staff, all of whom have been most attentive and kind to the patients committed to their charge, received from the Belgians, a letter in French expressing the warmest thanks of the soldiers of the gallant little nation to them for all that had been done for them. A better Christmas present than that they could not have wished for.
During January 1915 the hospital admitted 21 more patients, several of whom were suffering from frostbite contracted in the trenches, and one who had been knocked down by a train at Clapham Junction! Fortunately none of the frostbite cases had to suffer amputation. The hospital also treated, as out-patients, men from the Tattenham Corner camp. Letters of appreciation were received from Belgian soldiers who had been treated at the Grandstand Hospital and were back in the firing line. Concerts continued throughout the month, one being described as a "Scotch Concert" when favourite songs of Harry Lauder were sung. To further keep the soldiers entertained, a Mr. C.M. Kessell of Westminster, devised an 'ingenious indoor football game', which he loaned to the hospital. Appeals were being made to the people of Epsom for gifts of tobacco.
Also during January Lord Kitchener came to Epsom Downs to inspect some 20,000 thousand troops from the various camps on the Downs. The weather was extremely cold with much snow on the ground. As a consequence quite a number of men fell out and were treated at the hospital. They were given hot drinks, and all but three or four were able to leave the next day. Another casualty treated at the hospital was a soldier from the UPS Brigade who cut his hand whilst tobogganing on the Downs!
February 1915 saw hospital life continue much as before with the soldiers gradually recovering, inspections being carried out, four more admissions and entertainments being arranged.
On 6 March 1915, the six months that the Grandstand Committee had offered the luncheon annex for use as a hospital was due to expire and there had been talk of moving the men out so that race goers could use the annex. At a time when casualties were rising and there was a growing need for hospital accommodation, talk of removing the men to other hospitals caused outrage. Letters were sent to The Times newspaper and the matter was discussed in Parliament. So that the forthcoming Spring Meeting should not suffer, Sir Edward Coates, M.P., offered his former residence, Tayles Hill, for use by the wounded soldiers. Despite the war, racing it seems was still very important to some elements of society.
TOUCHSTONE, on the matter of the hospital closing to allow racing, was moved to write the following on 12 February:
Such being the state of affairs, one is forced to inquire what has become of the patriotic spirit which prompted the Grand Stand Association six months ago to make the generous offer of the new building on the Downs for use as a War Hospital so that the scheme of the Epsom and Ewell doctors, who were promptly supported by the local public, could be carried into effect.
One remembers the enthusiastic acclamation which greeted the announcement of this offer at the great meeting in the Public Hall last summer, when the establishment of an Epsom and Ewell War Hospital was publicly discussed, and it is hard to believe that there is a possibility of the laudable work of the institution being terminated all the time the fierce battle across the sea is raging, bringing in its wake hundreds more of Britain's wounded sons.
A compromise was then put forward that would return two of the four floors to racing, namely the ground floor with the kitchens, and the second floor (City & Oaks wards) connected by the bridge. The first floor (Derby ward) and the third floor (Metropolitan ward) would be retained as the hospital. Special arrangements would be made to feed the patients during racing period.
On 5 March 1915 a letter to the Epsom Advertiser from Arthur E. Williams and C.P. Collier Jones, joint Hon. Secretaries of the Hospital Committee, provided some interesting information. Since receiving its first wounded men on 12 October 1914, the Epsom and Ewell War Hospital/Grandstand Hospital had treated 144 patients, of whom 3 had died, 87 had been discharged, and 54 were still undergoing treatment. Of the 144 patients treated, 116 were British, 27 Belgian and 1 French. 26 men from the U.P.S. Brigade had been treated as in patients, and a considerable number of Royal Fusiliers from the Tattenham Corner camp had been treated as out-patients. The letter went on to explain that, at the end of January when it was believed that the hospital would have to close in March, all money collecting boxes had been removed from the Borough. But now that the hospital was not to be shut, and the cost of running it was approximately £90 a month, an urgent appeal for funds should be made.
Later in the month the Hospital Committee was delighted to learn that the Grandstand Association would not now require any part of the annex for the Spring Meeting. The fifty to sixty soldiers in the hospital were making good progress, but the sad news was received that a former patient, Pte. W. Simpson of the Coldstream Guards, on returning to the front had been killed. However, he cannot be found on the CWGC web site.
In April it was reported that all patients were making steady progress and that Belgian and French troops had returned to their regiments via Folkestone. In response to appeals from the Hospital Committee, a refrigerator had been donated, and several lady residents had volunteered to drive the nurses to and from the hospital. Easter saw those convalescents well enough to be taken out on the Downs, enjoying coconut shies and donkey rides. More rooms were converted into wards which provided accommodation for a further 88 patients. The Grandstand Association gave a quantity of provisions to the hospital, which were left over from the Spring race meeting.
Further admissions in April meant that there were few vacant beds, and Oaks ward had been given over for sole use of the Public Schools Brigade. On Monday 12 April an officer from the City of London Royal Fusiliers stationed at Tattenham Corner was operated on, after the Hospital Committee had received special permission to receive sick officers taken ill nearby. Normally officers and other ranks were treated in separate accommodation.
Private George Elson of the 1st Royal Fusiliers was admitted, suffering from a gunshot wound received in Northern France. A bullet had entered the back of his neck had come out underneath his chin. George was a local Ewell man and before the war had worked for Messrs Hall and Davidson's flourmills. Several cases of influenza were also admitted.
More admissions were made during May, and it was noted that many were suffering from synovitis (painful inflammation) of the knee. This was due to men being thrown from their horses, frightened by gunfire and shells. Colonel Simpson again visited the hospital and expressed himself very gratified with everything he saw. It was noted that all the beds were occupied, and that the hospital was expected to remain open for some time, the War Office regarding it as a most healthy spot. The Matron was quoted as saying she would be most grateful for gifts of new laid eggs, slippers and socks.
During the month of June the patients watched a cross-country race on the Downs, and were entertained by pipers from the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, who were stationed at Dorking. Also during June the hospital benefited from money collected during 'Alexandra Rose Day'.
The Hospital Committee put out the message that the Grandstand Hospital had nothing to do with the recently opened County of London War Hospital (Horton), and that voluntary subscriptions were still needed, and without such subscriptions the wounded would suffer.
By 9 July the number of patients had reduced to 38, five Belgians having been discharged the previous day. Fewer patients were being looked after, probably due to the opening, on 20 May 1915, of the County of London War Hospital (Horton), although some patients were still being admitted, including the victims of gas poisoning.
In August some 15 Australians and New Zealanders (ANZACs) were admitted.
On 28 January 1916 the Epsom Advertiser announced that the hospital was to close:
EPSOM AND EWELL WAR HOSPITAL, after doing splendid service for the past 15 months, is to be closed at the end of February, owing to the fact that the medical staff are short handed, two of them being on foreign service, and the remainder being fully employed in other war work. Moreover, the committee, seeing how much generous support has been given by local residents, do not think they should make any further appeals for help on behalf of the hospital.
The hospital had been paid for by donations from the people of Epsom and Ewell, who not only gave money and food, but also donated or lent many articles of practical use. Soon after it was announced that the hospital was to close, those who had donated or lent items were invited to write in if they wished the items to be returned to them. They were to write to the Hon. Secretaries at the Committee Rooms, High-street, (Note: High-street is as written in the Advertiser) Epsom before the 29th of February 1916.
On 12 January 1917 the Epsom Advertiser reported that the hospital had closed on 29 February 1916, and that after all accounts had been paid, any balance was to be handed over to the British Red Cross Society, on or before 28 February 1917.
The 1914 luncheon annex to the Grandstand was demolished in 2007.
Clive Gilbert © March 2012
Appendix 1. Wounded servicemen admitted to the Epsom and Ewell War Hospital as published in the Epsom Advertiser.
The first ten wounded soldiers admitted on 12 October 1914:
Pte. R. Richardson, aged 20, 1st Battalion Royal West Kents (the most severely wounded),
Pte. F. Mulry, aged 19, 1st Hampshire Regiment, an Irishman,
Pte. A. Reid, aged 28, 1st Royal Scots,
Driver F. Densham, aged 23, 40th Ambulance Corps of the Royal Field Artillery,
Cpl. H. Brown, aged 30,
Pte. G. Harris, aged 28, 1st Lincolns,
Pte. E. Buckley, aged 30, 1st Middlesex,
Pte. G. Russell aged 26, 1st Royal West Kents,
Pte. W. Simpson, aged 24, 1st Coldstream Guards
Cpl. Galliford, aged 20, 2nd Leinsters.
Admitted 15 October 1914:
Pte. W. Coombe, 1st Dorsets, gunshot wound,
Cpl. Benjamin Jones, 1st East Surrey, gunshot wound arm and leg,
Pte. Charles Duffield, 3rd Dorsets, wound right hip,
Sergt. Samuel Laidlaw, 2nd King's Scottish, gunshot wound left leg,
Pte. James Wood, 1st Dorsets, gunshot wound left side,
Pte. William Higgins, 2nd King's Own Scottish Borderers, gunshot wound in spine,
Pte. Albert Busby, 1st Dorsets, gunshot wound left side,
Pte. Robert Burt, 1st East Surrey, gunshot wound left leg,
Pte. John Reynolds, gunshot wound in abdomen,
Pte. William Stephens, 1st Dorsets, shrapnel wound in upper arm,
Pte. William J. Barnes, 3rd Worcestershires, gunshot wound left leg,
Pte. E.G. Hobbs, 1st Bedfords, gunshot wound in shoulders and left leg,
Pte. E. Taylor, 1st Dorsets, shrapnel wound in knee,
Pte. G. Biggs, 1st Royal West Kents, shrapnel wound in leg (amputated during the journey),
Pioneer D. Purchase, Royal Engineers, gunshot wound right leg,
Pte. A.J. Furben, 1st Dorsets, gunshot wound in left thigh,
Pte. William Adcock, 1st East Surrey, gunshot wounds in back and left knee,
Pte. A.E. Raby, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, gunshot wound left knee,
Sergt. R. Christopher, 1st Dorsets, shrapnel wound in shoulder,
Gnr. John Pears, Royal Field Artillery, gunshot wound,
Pte. Charles Greenwood, 1st Bedfordshires, gunshot wound in the ankle,
Pte. F. Woodward, 1st Bedfordshires, shrapnel wound in left shoulder,
Pte. Charles Reed, 2nd Royal Scots, gunshot wounds in legs,
Pte. Frederick Mead, 1st East Surrey, gunshot wound in back,
Pte. Charles Gould, 1st Dorsets, shrapnel wound,
Lance-Cpl. A. Pullen, 1st Bedfordshires, shrapnel wound,
Pte. W. Atkins, 1st Royal West Kents, gunshot wound abdomen,
Pte. J. Sullivan, 1st Dorsets, fractured left femur and gunshot wound,
Pte. William Andrewartha, aged 19, 2nd Manchesters, fractured pelvis bladder,
Pte. Thomas Simms, aged 27, 2nd Manchesters, Peritontis,
Cpl. Edmund Buchanan, Irish Horse, seriously ill.
Admitted 16 October 1914:
Pte. Opat Baysseus, 1st Regiment of the line, Belgian Army, gunshot wound to his right side.
Admitted 26 October 1914
, 19 Belgian soldiers. All having been wounded the neighbourhood of Dixmude, Belgium:
Pte. Demartin, aged 21, 2nd Grenadiers, gunshot wound right hand,
Pte. Racymarkers, aged 21, 2nd Carbiniers, gunshot wound forearm,
Pte. Van Tichelt, aged 21, 8th Regiment of the Line, gunshot wound forearm,
Pte. Dakonick, aged 21, 2nd Grenadiers, bayonet wound foot,
Pte. Eeckhout, aged 22, 10th Regiment of the Line, wound right forearm,
Pte. Chas De Meulemestrich, aged 25, 3rd Chasseurs a Pied, abdominal pains,
Pte. Joseph Lausens, aged 26, 5th Regiment of the Line, traumatic neuralgia,
Pte. Ernest Lyssline, aged 21, 2nd Chasseurs a Pied, gunshot wound finger,
Pte. Joseph Potens, aged 19, 22nd Regiment of the Line (volunteer), gunshot wound neck.
Pte. A. Boon, aged 25, Regiment of the line, gunshot wound right thigh,
Pte. Camille Francois Calleny, aged 21, 1st Caribiniers, gunshot wound left hand,
Pte. Baptiste Jean Peck, aged 23, 10th Regiment of the Line, gunshot wound left shoulder,
Cpl. Gustave Everest, aged 31, 2nd Carbiniers, fractured rib,
Pte. Camille Dwez, aged 25, gunshot wound right arm,
Pte. Jewells David, aged 26, 8th Regiment of the Line, gunshot wound thigh,
Bugler Maurice Vewat, aged 21, 2nd Regiment of the Line, gunshot wound hip,
Pte. Mickam, aged 24, Carbiniers (cyclist), contused legs,
Pte. Morest Achille, aged 21, 1st Grenadiers, gunshot wound left foot.
Pte. Arthur Bullard, aged 27, gunshot wound left arm.
Admitted 12 November 1914
, eight Belgian soldiers, all with shrapnel wounds to the lower part of the body:
Pte. Leon De Miersman, aged 22, 5th Regiment of the Line,
Pte. Jerome De Lange, aged 29, 5th Regiment of the Line,
Pte. Alphonse Callebaut, aged 27, 10th Regiment of the Line,
Pte. Andre Daneels, aged 17, 6th Regiment of the Line,
Pte. Petruche De Wilde, aged 22, 1st Chasseurs,
Pte. Gustave De Wilde, aged 34, Du Train,
Pte. Cyrille Van Soppenolle, aged 25, 1st Chasseurs a Pied,
Pte. Van Cauwen Berghe, aged 19, 1st Chasseurs a Pied,
Admitted 10 December 1914:
Gnr. G. Mansell, RFA,
Lance Cpl., Richards, Somerset Light Infantry,
Driver R. Harnett, RFA,
Pte. W. Watson, ASC,
Pte. Mountford, 10th Middlesex,
Pte. C. Rossi, 10th County of London,
Pte. C. Murphy, 1st King's Liverpool,
Gnr. R. Hartley, Royal Garrison Artillery.
Admitted during January 1915:
Pte. B. Drake, aged 20, 3rd Royal Sussex, frost-bitten feet,
Pte. A. Jenkins, aged 20, 2nd Monmouths, frost-bitten feet,
Pte. A. Poole, aged 19, 1st Somersets, frost-bitten feet,
Cpl. T. Dalton, aged 36, 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers, frost-bitten feet,
Cpl. A. Lloyd, aged 25, Army Service Corps, crushed finger,
Drummer A. Smith, aged 20, R.H.A., enlarged inguinal glands,
Cpl. J. Campbell, aged 25, 2nd Middlesex, periostitis fibula,
Pte. C. Dennison, aged 47, National Reservist (Finsbury Borough), fractured left ribs and injury to left elbow, (knocked down by a train at Clapham Junction),
Spr. B. Garstow, aged 23, Royal Engineers, abscess,
Pte. J. Tocher, aged 24, 3rd Gordons, gunshot wound right thigh,
Pte. . Matthews, aged 30, 1st Northants, gunshot wound head,
Pte. J. Best, aged 19, Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, appendicitis,
Pte. B. Gregory, aged 19, 1st Middlesex, gunshot wound left hand and face,
Bandsman C. Lingwood, aged 34, 2nd Rifle Brigade, gunshot wound left thigh,
Pte. J. Finnley, aged 22, 3rd Dragoon Guards, gunshot wound chest,
Pte. Boden, aged 24, 2nd Marines (French), gunshot wound right leg,
Pte. J. Rourka, aged 21, 3rd Royal Scots, gunshot wound left leg,
Pte. A. Hull, aged 21, 2nd Royal Sussex, frost-bitten feet,
and three unnamed stretcher cases.
Admitted during February 1915:
Driver John Rickhuss, aged 25, Army Service Corps,
Driver F. Mudd, aged 27, Army Service Corps,
Pte. G. Bownie, aged 19, Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders,
Sergt. F. Hollett, aged 33, Canadian Scottish.
Admitted during March 1915:
Pte. Henry Pollack, Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders,
Driver Henry Sullivan, Royal Field Artillery,
Pte. E. A. Mayhew, Army Service Corps,
Pte. Nye, 2nd Scots Guards,
Gnr. Hood, Royal Field Artillery, (20th Reserve Battery),
Trooper S. Puttock, Surrey Yeomanry.
Admitted during April 1915:
Pte. George Elson, 1st Royal Fusiliers, bullet wound back of neck, exiting under the chin.
Sergt. P. Maloney, aged 27, 1st Connaught Regiment, gunshot wound left leg (amputated),
Lance Cpl. J. Miller, aged 37, 1st Royal Scots, gunshot wound right shoulder,
Cpl. P. Carroll, aged 36, 4th King's Liverpool, gunshot wound right shoulder,
Sergt. H. Botting, aged 22, 2nd Scots Guards, gunshot wound leg,
Sergt. J. Collins, aged 38, 1st Canadian Contingent, fractured fibula,
Pte. P. Quelch, aged 21, 1st Hampshires, gunshot wound chest,
Saddler Charles Burton, aged 30, R.G.A., chronic synovitis in the knee,
Pte. John Burns, aged 35, Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, synovitis in the right knee,
Spr. Henry Rogers, aged 23, R.E., gunshot wound left forearm,
Pte. S. Hammond, aged 22, Surrey Yeomanry, appendicitis,
Pte. J. Burnell, aged 36, A.S.C., gunshot wound left hip,
Gnr. L. Clark, aged 22, R.H.A., varicose veins.
Lance Cpl. William Spong, aged 25, 1st East Surreys, appendicitis,
Driver O. Congreve, aged 23, Royal Horse Artillery, ulcers,
Pte. D. Dale, aged 20, 2nd Surrey Yeomanry, appendicitis,
Pte. A. Scrivener, aged 24, 2nd Surrey Yeomanry, varicose veins,
Pte. . Wimblett, aged 25, 1st Royal Berks, gunshot wound left thigh,
Pte. S. Cairney, aged 45, 2nd London Scottish Rifles, haemorrhage,
Pte. F. Evans, aged 20, Scottish Liverpools, gunshot wound right thigh and shoulder,
Pte. E. Whiter, aged 20, Army Ordnance Corps, enlarged glands in neck,
Driver A. E. Goodwin, aged 52, R.F.A., septic toe,
Shoeing-smith C. Waite, aged 28, R.F.A., synovitis right knee,
Pte. F. Bailey, aged 22, 1st Bedfords, injury to the left hand,
Driver G. Mason, aged 40, R.F.A., ulcer,
Cpl. H. Gould, aged 40, 27th Military Mounted Police, fractured ankle,
Pte. A. E. Whybrow, aged 28, 1st Cambridgeshires, gunshot wound right thigh,
Pte. William Phipps, aged 24, 9th Lancers, fractured fibula,
Gnr. H. Buckley, aged 20, R.G.A., gunshot wound left thigh.
Admitted during May 1915:
Soldat H. Parys, aged 28, 23rd Regiment de Ligne, gunshot wound etc,
Pte. P. Hall, aged 27, 4th Canadian Division, fractured ribs and left hand,
Pte. J. Sheppard, aged 40, 1st Leinsters, gunshot wound jaw,
Sergt. W. H. Drew, aged 36, 17th Royal Fusiliers,
Rifleman J. Greene, aged 27, 2nd Royal Irish Rifles, gunshot wound right thigh and compound fractured femur,
Lance Cpl. McCallum, aged 22, 4th Camerons, synovitis right knee,
Driver T. Grumbt, aged 31, R.F.A., abrasion right knee,
Pte. V. Hollister, aged 18, 3rd Gloucesters, synovitis right knee,
Pte. T. Strudwick, aged 22, R.H.A., fractured tibia,
Gnr. H. Walker, aged 24, R.F.A., fractured fibula,
Gnr. C. W. McHugh, aged 21, R.G.A., sprained ankle,
Gnr. A. T. Ellis, aged 23, hernia,
Cpl. W. H. Durham, aged 28, A.P.C. Depot, sprained ankle,
Pte. J. Hornby aged 29, 2nd Scots Guards, gunshot wound left forearm,
Driver C. Heard, aged 27, A.S.C., fractured radius and ulna,
Pte. S. Thompson, aged 21, A.S.C., septic heel,
Pte. Butterworth, aged 20, R.A.M.C., chronic otitis media,
Pte. T. Marney, aged 30, 1st East Surrey, ankylosis left arm,
Gnr. A. Davis, aged 20, R.H.A., sinus,
Pte. T. Griffiths, aged 21, 1st Lincolns, gunshot wound chest,
Sergt. Oakley, aged 33, Grenadier Guards, King's Company, gunshot wound elbow,
Pte. T. Lane, aged 32, Royal Warwicks, gunshot wound shoulder,
Driver J. W. Hilton, 2nd Battalion Manchesters, gunshot wound eye,
Pte. Thomas Booth, aged 23, A.S.C., boils,
Bombardier A. Neath, aged 32, R.G.A., synovitis right knee,
Saddler H. Brrchcroft, aged 21, R.F.A. synovitis right knee,
Pte. James Dillon, aged 26, Royal Lancasters, gunshot wound right elbow,
Pte. G. Cranmer, aged 39, A.S.C., rheumatism,
Pte. H. Skinner, aged 40, 2nd Essex, contused foot,
Gunner J. Spence, aged 28, R.F.A., fractured jaw,
Rifleman W. Blundell, aged 20, King's Royal Rifles, gunshot wound elbow,
Lance Cpl. J. MacIver, aged 28, Seaforth Highlanders, gunshot wound hand and thigh,
Lance Cpl. H. Beanak, aged 28, R.A.M.C., gunshot wound leg and debility,
Pte. A. Forbes, aged 26, 2nd Gordon Highlanders, gunshot wound hand,
Cpl. A. C. Reeve, aged 28, 2nd Ox & Bucks Light Infantry, gunshot wound left forearm,
Pte. H. Demaine, aged 19, 1st East Lancs, gunshot wound left forearm,
Pte. F. Gee, aged 24, 5th West Riding, gunshot wound left elbow,
Pte. J. Wilson, aged 30, Black Watch, gunshot wound left arm,
Pte F. Taylor, aged 30, 1st King's Liverpool, gunshot wound arm and leg,
Pte. G. F. Brunton, aged 32, 2nd Borderers, gunshot wound left arm,
Pte. Scrivener, aged 26, 1st Bedfords, gunshot wound left arm.