Ewell Copyholds Individual Plots

Sources for Epsom and Ewell History
Sources for Epsom
and Ewell History



This page is a work in progress. It will form part of several pages on the copyholds of Ewell which are being created at the request of Jeremy Harte, curator Bourne Hall Museum.

Rent Day 1832
Rent Day 1832
Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum

Old Properties Of Ewell And Their Owners

This information has been compiled by numerous volunteers from the Documentary Group of the Epsom and Ewell History and Archaeology Society (EEHAS). In its present version, it derives from indexes and transcripts of the manorial court rolls which are kept with other EEHAS papers at Bourne Hall. These indexes were made several years ago from the originals, which form part of the Northey papers (reference 2238) at Surrey History Centre. The court rolls cover a period from 1592 or a little earlier, and continue into the early twentieth century, but only deal with property that was held by copyhold tenure. All the entries for identifiable buildings are gathered here, but not those for fields and empty land. The plot numbers refer to the 1802 Enclosure Map of Ewell, reference 2585 at the Surrey History Centre; a copy of this map can be consulted at the Local History Centre.

Background

In Tudor times, most people in rural England held their houses by copyhold tenure. This was a more formal version of the way things had been in the Middle Ages, when tenants were granted the use of land by the Lord of the Manor in return for services or, later on, for payments. On the death of the copyholder, the land was surrendered to the Lord, who would then admit a new tenant. Each manor had its own customs, or traditional rules about how things should be done, and these would expect the Lord to grant the tenement to the customary heir of the last tenant, usually the son.

Meetings of a manorial court (called the court baron) were held to register the surrender and admission of tenements. Each transaction would be written up twice by the steward of the manor - once in the court rolls, which were kept by the Lord, and once in the copy of court roll, which was kept by the tenant, and from which copyhold takes its name. It differed from freehold or leasehold tenure because the land was held by the tenants from the Lord, and was not meant to be granted, sold or mortgaged to third parties, although by the eighteenth century there were legal ways around this restriction. If tenants wanted to make a will leaving property to someone other than the customary heir, they could surrender the property to the Lord leaving it to be devised by will. Though they could not sell the property, they could lease it by consent of the Lord, and they could mortgage it by a conditional surrender, one that would only be enforced if the mortgage was not repaid.

Despite these practices, copyhold tenure placed many restrictions on the tenant. The property had to be kept in good repair, and failure to do this would lead to its forfeiture by the Lord. The annual rents, which had originally been the Lord's main source of income, were fixed and gradually lost their value through inflation; instead, profits were made from a customary charge made at the death of the tenant, called the heriot, which was originally taken from livestock but afterwards became a cash payment. A fine, much higher than the annual rents, would be taken from the new tenant.

Property remained copyhold unless it was enfranchised, which made it into a freehold; the Lord of the Manor would grant a long lease and then sell a release which renounced the right to reclaim the lease that had just been made. This was done solely at the discretion of the Lord until 1852, when the Copyhold Act entitled tenants to demand enfranchisement. Many villages, and some towns, continued with copyhold property but it was increasingly unpopular because it placed restraints on the property market. In 1922 the Law of Property Act proposed to convert all copyhold tenure into freehold, and this Act came into force in 1926.

Each surrender of a property, and each admission of a new tenant to it, should have been recorded in the court rolls, so that if a manor has kept its full set of court rolls, local historians should be able to follow the history of its copyhold properties from the earliest reference down to the year of enfranchisement. This is not so easy in practice, since one tenant could hold several properties, and each one may be described differently on its appearances in the court rolls. The tenement is usually defined by an abuttal, a list of the other properties or landmarks adjoining it. The tenement could consist of land only, or of land with a house, often called a messuage. The size of the tenement will be given either in acres or in perches: in this context the perch (also called a rood) is a unit of area, not of length, and there are four perches to an acre. The statute acre, as defined by law throughout England, is 4840 square yards, so the statute perch is 1210 square yards. But Surrey, like many counties, had a customary acre used to survey land locally.

The Northey family were Lords of the Manor of Ewell from 1755 until the Law of Property Act came into force in 1926. Later they presented the court rolls to the Surrey History Centre, along with other material catalogued as the Northey papers under the reference SHC 2238. The full reference for the first volume in the sequence of court rolls is 2238/10/170, but in the tables which follow, this is abbreviated to 10/170, and the same applies to other references, as they all belong to the same group heading. Reference is also made to the 1408 Register and Taylor's Survey. Both of these have been published, the first edited by Cecil Deedes as Register or Memorial of Ewell (1913), and the second by Philip Shearman as 'Ewell in 1577', Surrey Archaeological Collections 54 (1955).

Jeremy Harte
May 2007

The data provided for the following Plots are © Epsom and Ewell History and Archeology Society

INDEX

Plot 4
Plot 9
Plot 51
Plot 81
Plot 82
Plot 91
Plot 92
Plot 93
Plot 98
Plot 99
Plot 100
Plot 183
Plot 203
Plot 205
Plot 208
Plot 211
Plot 214
Plot 217
Plot 218
Plot 219
Plot 220

Plot 221
Plot 224
Plot 225
Plot 226
Plot 229
Plot 234
Plot 236
Plot 238
Plot 239
Plot 241
Plot 242
Plot 243
Plot 244
Plot 245
Plot 252
Plot 277
Plot 280
Plot 282
Plot 283
Plot 284
Plot 286

Plot 298
Plot 299
Plot 308
Plot 312
Plot 315
Plot 316
Plot 317
Plot 320
Plot 327
Plot 328
Plot 336
Plot 353
Plot 354
Plot 358
Plot 394
Plot 402
Plot 405
Plot 422
Plot 440
Plot 441
Plot 473


Plot 4

A tenement comprising eight perches of land with a cottage, and a second cottage with a garden in Lower Common; the site of both properties lies along the Bonesgate Stream; plot 2, 4 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1818 William Bradford 10/168 parcel 33
1818 John Bradford 10/167 page 24
1833 Ann Simmonds 10/167 page 24
1833 John Bradford 10/167 page 24
1844 Charles Bradford 10/179 page 70
1848 Emma Jacobs 57/66
Back to the index


Plot 9

A house with a bakehouse, shop, and stable in Kingston Road backing onto the millstream, now known as Pedlar's Rest; plot 9 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1805 William Neale 57/54
1805 John Jolliffe 57/54
1820 Ann Jolliffe 10/168 parcel 58
1848 Thomas Bennett 10/179 pages 145, 153
1861 Robert Henderson, miller 10/166 pages 4, 28, 10/179 page 433
1897 Executors of William Henderson 10/180 page 7
Back to the index


Plot 51

A messuage near what is now Heatherside Road; the site was later Marsh Farm and is now occupied by housing; plot 51 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1695 William Andrews 10/170 page 148
1695 John Radcliffe 10/170 page 148
1697 Andrew Underhill 10/170 page 154
Prior to 1705 Hercules Underhill, brother of Andrew and grandson of William Andrews 10/170 page 174
1705 John Radcliffe 10/170 page 174
1708 Thomas Waterer 10/170 page 180
1728 George Lewen 10/170 page 216
1735 Edward Sleyman 10/170 page 233
1748 Mary Kitchen 10/172 page 106
1762 Joseph Shaw 10/173
1806 Sarah Weston 10/169 /pcl 16
1820 H.G.S. Croasdaile and his wife Charlotte 10/168
1822 Jarman Goldsmith and his wife 10/168
1838 William Hobman 10/168 parcel 17
(1850 Enfranchised)  
Back to the index


Plot 81

A messuage adjoining Fitznells, near what is now the house called Walnut Tree Fields; plot 81 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1619 Francis Wilkyn Snr 10/170 page 57
1619 Henry Sewer, Snr 10/170 page 57
1621 Francis Wilkyn Jnr 10/170 page 63
1623 Henry Sewer Snr 10/170 page 68
1629 Henry Sewer Jnr and Richard Sewer Snr 10/170 page 84
1639 Elizabeth, wife of Richard Sewer, then their son Richard Sewer Jnr 10/170 page 103
1689 Elizabeth, his widow, then their daughter Elizabeth and brother John 10/170 page 132
(1734 Elizabeth Lowther, née Sewer, dies) 10/170 page 232
1734 John Lowther 10/170 page 232
1762 Ann Lowther, widow of John 10/173
1767 James Buggs 10/173
1768 Sir George Glyn 10/173
Back to the index


Plot 82

A messuage, four cottages, a watermill and lands, part of the estate belonging to Fitznells Manor House; plot 82 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1638 Thomas Hoorde 10/170 page 101
1638 William Horde 10/170 pages 102-3
Back to the index


Plot 91

A cottage near the Lower Mill Pond in Kingston Road; the site is now occupied by the house called Pedlar's Rest; plot 91 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1604 Richard and Margerie Beckensoll 10/170 page 24
Undated Robert Beckensoll 10/170 page 91
1633 Thomas Beckensoll 10/170 page 91
Back to the index


Plot 92

A tenement with an orchard situated against the Lord's Pound in Kingston Road, near what is now the house called Pedlar's Rest; plot 92 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1618 John Waterer 10/170 page 53
1618 Francis Porter 10/170 page 53
1627 Mary Porter his wife 10/170 page 78
1630 Samuel Oddye 10/170 page 83
Back to the index


Plot 93

A messuage, barn etc. formerly known as the Lower Millhouse, and now offices; plot 93 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1681 Henry Kidgell 10/170 page 125
1681 Thomas Kidgell 10/170 page 125
1687 Edward Green 10/170 page 128
1702 Tracy Wynn his daughter 10/170 page 169
1723 John Wynn 10/170 page 204
1724 John Du Thort, son in law of Tracy Wynn 10/170 page 205
1728 James Du Thort, his cousin 10/170 page 216
1741 Samuel Petty 10/172 page 50
1742 Mary and Elizabeth Petty 10/172 page 57
1762 William Wells, papermaker 10/173
1785 William Jubb Snr, papermaker 10/175 page 166
1796 William Jubb Jnr 10/175 page 316
1813 Mrs. Stevens 10/167 page 9
1850 James Hebard 57/66
Back to the index


Plot 98

A tenement and orchard near the Lower Mill; the site was later occupied by four tenements; plot 98 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1694 Thomas Neale and his wife Margaret 10/170 page 144
1694 Elizabeth Harris, later Elizabeth Watson 10/170 page 144
1741 John Harris Snr her son 10/172 page 56
1779 Thomas Hubbard 10/175 page 66
(1783 The property became four cottages)  
1806 John and Thomas Hubbard 10/169 page 70
1823 Jesse Batchelor 10/167 page 9, 10/168 parcel 15
1871 William Batchelor 10/167 page 38
(1893 Enfranchised) 10/179 page 464
Back to the index


Plot 99

A messuage, barn, and orchard at Beggars Hill, nearly opposite what is now the Eight Bells; the site was later occupied by three cottages; plot 99 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1708 Lettice Blake 10/170 page 179
1708 Catherine Reeve and Sarah Bowen 10/170 page 182
1708 Thomas Bowen and his wife Sarah 10/170 page 182
  The original cottage becomes two  
Prior to 1708 Susanna Maybank and Abigail Pears 10/170 page 179
1708 William Maybank and his wife Susanna 10/170 page 179
1759 Elizabeth Hawkins 10/173
1770 Robert Hawkins 10/175 page 235
1770 Thomas Wilson, gingerbread maker 10/173
1788 Sarah Wilson 10/175 page 235
1793 Elizabeth Chamberlin 10/175 page 274
1811 Ann, Catherine, Frances 10/168 parcel 37
1811 John Mason, miller 10/168 parcel 37
1835 Robert Tritton 10/168 parcel 37
(1861 Enfranchised)  


Two messuages in Meadow Walk; the site is now occupied by 37 and 39 Kingston Road; plot 99 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1779 John Harris 10/168 parcel 49, 10/175 page 68
1779 George Chitty 10/175 page 68
1781 James Holland 10/168 parcel 49, 10/175 page 68
1815 Jesse Batchelor 10/177 page 11
1871 William Batchelor 10/167 page 38
1893 Enfranchised  
Back to the index


Plot 100

A messuage at the junction of Kingston Road and Meadow Walk; plot 100 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1596 Joan Wolridge 10/170 page 8
1597 Marston Woode and his wife Elizabeth, William Watts and his wife Jean 10/170 page 15
Back to the index


Plot 183

A cottage on Kingston Road near the junction with Ewell Court Road; plot 183 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1817 John Bradford 10/167 page 5, 10/177 page 12
1817 Mary Bradford 10/167 page 17, 10/169 /pcl 325
1834 John and Richard Bradford 10/167 page 24-5
1839 Ann Bradford, widow of John 10/167 page 28, 10/168 parcel 32

A cottage near what was Ewell Court Farm and is now housing; the site was later occupied by three cottages; plot 183 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1817 John Bradford 10/168 parcel 53
1825 Mary Bradford 10/168 parcel 53
1834 John and William Bradford 10/168 parcel 53
1835 Edward Northey 10/168 parcel 53

Three cottages near what was Ewell Court Farm and is now housing; plot 183 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1825 Mary Bradford 10/169/p41
1834 John and Richard Bradford 10/168/p41
1835 Edward Northey 57/30
Back to the index


Plot 203

Two messuages near what is now the Eight Bells; plot 203 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1699 Nicholas Hawkins 10/170 page 158
1726 Samuel Hawkins Snr 10/170 page 212
1739 Samuel Hawkins Jnr 10/172 page 41
1743 Sarah Hawkins, his aunt 10/172 page 67
1762 Sarah Bouchier, his granddaughter 10/173
1796 Amelia Bouchier, his sister 10/175 page 312
1859 William Smith 10/179 page 300
Back to the index


Plot 205

Two cottages on Beggars Hill; the site was later occupied by the Jolly Waggoners, and is now housing; plot 205 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1756 Sarah Hawkins 10/171
1756 Thomas Brumfield 10/171
1773 Alexander Bridges 10/175 page 28
1798 Henry Bridges 10/175 page 357
1825 David Veness 10/169 page 14
1839 James Gardom, carpenter 10/179 page 6
1848 Thomas Charrott 10/179 page 109
1848 George Charrott 57/45
1858 John Lodwidge 10/164, 57/74
Back to the index


Plot 208

Three cottages opposite the junction of Kingston Road with Meadow Walk, near what is now the Eight Bells; the site was later occupied by two cottages; plot 208 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1797 William Woods, farmer 10/175 page 331
1797 William Batchelor 10/175 page 331
1835 Sarah Batchelor 57/39
1860 William, Sarah and Hannah Batchelor 57/39
(1861 Properties demolished) 10/180 page 5
Back to the index


Plot 211

A messuage now known as 70 Kingston Road; plot 211 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1593 John Blundell 10/170 page 3
1593 Thomas Blundell 10/170 page 3
1612 Ann Blundell 10/170 page 40
1613 Roger Dover and his wife Jane 10/170 page 43
1616 Stephen Blundell and Roger Dover 10/170 page 47
1617 John Waterer 10/170 page 51
1621 Robert Gurnett 10/170 page 65
1626 George Gurnett 10/170 page 74
1639 Francis Adams 10/170 page 84
1640 John Bonde and John Childe 10/170 page 104
Prior to 1688 Frances Boyse 10/170 page 131
1688 William Boyse 10/170 page 131
1690 Henry Balding yeoman, of Nonsuch Park 10/170 page 135
1726 Elizabeth Balding 10/170 page 212
1729 George Griffin 10/170 page 218
1736 John Challenor 10/172 page 21
1754 Jane Challenor his widow 10/171
1770 William Hall 10/173
1785 Sarah Hall 10/175 page 182
1837 Charles Hall 10/177 page 14
(1861 Enfranchised)  
Back to the index


Plot 214

A messuage north of Mill Lane on Kingston Road, nearly opposite the Upper Mill; the site is now occupied by housing; plot 214 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1610 John Waterer and Jane Tooth 10/170 page 38
1689 Henry Herringham 10/170 page 134
1704 James Byne 10/170 page 171
1707 Thomas Waterer 10/170 page 178
1713 Edward Sleyman 10/170 page 188
1749 Mary Kitchen 10/172 page 110
1806 Sarah Weston 57/34
1820 Croasdailes 10/168 parcel 16
Undated William Dowdswell 10/168 parcel 16
1824 George Dowdswell 57/34
1861 George Morley Dowdswell 10/170 page 376
Back to the index


Plot 217

A messuage at the corner of Mill Lane and Kingston Road, opposite the Upper Mill; the site is now occupied by housing; plot 217 on the Enclosure Award
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1593 Richard Dawson 10/170 page 2
1593 Ralph Blundell 10/170 page 2
1596 Stephen Mashe 10/170 page 8
1614 Joan Mashe, his son Daniel, his future daughter-in-law Isabella, and his daughter Elizabeth 10/170 page 44
1621 Ralph Furnas or Furnace and his wife Elizabeth, née Mashe 10/170 page 44
1632 Thomas Dingley Snr 10/170 page 73
1695 Thomas Dingley Jnr, salesman 10/170 page 73
1701 George Hawkins 10/170 page 73
1774 James Hebard, shopkeeper 10/175 page 3

A messuage with barn etc. and a further two messuages with barn etc, both opposite the Upper Mill; plot 217 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1707 James Dowse 10/170 page 178
1707 David Griffith or Griffin 10/170 page 178
1730 William Griffin and his wife Amphillas 10/170 page 221
1733 Elizabeth Griffin 10/170 page 231
1747 John Fletcher and his wife Elizabeth, the widow of William Griffin 10/172 page 90
1747 Mary Mason 10/172 page 90
1763 David Griffin 10/173
1766 James Hebard 10/173
1796 Richard Bushell 10/175
1803 John Jolliffe 10/168 parcel 3
1820 Ann Jolliffe 10/167 page 10
Back to the index


Plot 218

A messuage in Kingston Road, opposite the Upper Mill; the site is now occupied by housing; plot 218 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1732 John Chelsome Snr 10/172 page 62
1742 John Chelsome Jnr and his wife Elizabeth 10/172 page 62
1790 William Parkhurst and William Jubb 10/175 page 246
1790 Richard Carpenter Smith 10/175 page 261
1813 Kennard Smith 57/61
1825 John Hall 57/61
1844 Richard Draper 10/166 page 49
1854 William Smith 10/179 page 65
1875 William Short Smith 10/179 page 15
1876 Charles Smith, George Dorling Smith, James Edwin Smith 10/179 page 485
Back to the index


Plot 219

Three messuages in Kingston Road, near what is now the Wheatsheaf; the site was later occupied by five messuages; plot 219 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1790 Mary Arnold 10/175 page 246
1790 William Parkhurst 10/175 page 246
1807 James Andrew 10/168 parcel 22
1839 Enfranchised 10/169 page 26
Back to the index


Plot 220

Eight cottages in Kingston Road, subsequently including a beer shop; the site is now occupied by the Wheatsheaf, which was built to replace the beer shop in 1858; plot 220 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1753 Elizabeth Godfrey 10/171
1753 Frances Godfrey and Mary Richardson, her granddaughters 10/171
1764 Thomas & Mary Richardson 10/171
1777 Peter Richardson 57/14
1826 James Waghorn 10/167 page 18
1848 Ann Chadwick 10/32 page 4
1867 Ann Chadwick 10/179 page 445
1891 Alfred Chadwick, son 10/179 page 445
Back to the index


Plot 221

A cottage; the site, which stood half way down Mill Lane from London Road, was later occupied by first five, and then six cottages; plot 221 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1596 George Dowce or otherwise Taillor or Taylor Snr Taylor's Survey
1596 Dorothy Dowse 10/170
1640 Nicholas Dowse Jnr 10/170 page 105
1684 Nicholas Yates 10/170 page 119
1730 William Griffin and his wife Amphillas 10/170 page 222
1828 Thomas Molineux 10/179 page 109
1848 David Forbes 57/10, 57/27B
1878 Mary Carlisle 10/166 page 16
(1878 Enfranchised) 10/166 page 16

Two cottages on the left hand side of Mill Lane from London Road; plot 221 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1742 John Chelsome Snr 10/172 page 62
1742 John Chelsome Jnr and his wife Elizabeth 10/172 page 62
1785 Mary Arnold 10/175 page 64
1790 William Jubb 10/175 pages 246-7, 249
1796 James Hebard 10/175 page 316
Back to the index


Plot 224

Five messuages immediately beyond what is now the Spring Hotel in Kingston Road; the site is now occupied by terraced houses; plot 224 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1687 William Hulme 10/170 page 127
1687 Mary Hulme 10/170 page 127
1687 Doxous Hulme 10/170 page 128
(1687 The properties were shared on a moiety basis)  
1687 Doxous Hulme's sisters, Sarah Stonyer and Mary Hollins, and her nieces, Ann and Susannah Mould 10/170 page 138
(1694 Mary Hollins, widow, dies) 10/170 page 146
(1696 Ann Mould dies) 10/170 page 152
1699 Thomas Stonyer and his wife Sarah, John Hollins, William Bartlett 10/170 page 172
(1704 William Bartlett dies) 10/170 page 172
1711 John Hollins 10/170 page 185
1711 John Evans Snr 10/170 page 185
1715 William Bartlett Jnr 10/170 page 190
(1723 The property is now split up) 10/170 page 203
1723 John Evans Jnr 10/170 page 203
1726 William Horde 10/170 page 215
1733 Elizabeth Church his granddaughter 10/170 page 230
1733 William Jolliffe Snr 10/170 page 231
1756 William Jolliffe Jnr 10/171

A house, garden and orchard in Kingston Road, beyond what is now the Spring Hotel; plot 224 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1696 John Hollins 10/170 page 185
1711 John Evans Snr 10/170 page 185
1723 John Evans Jnr 10/170 page 203
(1723 John Evans Jnr was a Clerk in Holy Orders) 10/170 page 203
1726 William Heard 10/170 page 215
1755 Elizabeth Church 10/170 page 230
1785 Elizabeth Fawkins 10/175 pages 173-4
(1785 Richard Fawkins was a carpenter) 10/175 pages 173-4
1802 Richard Fawkins, husband of Elizabeth Enclosure Award
1815 Richard Fawkins, widower 10/32 page 9, 10/168 parcel 49,10/177 page 11
1815 Charlotte Gardner, wife of Christopher, Mary Savage, John Seymour,Thomas Dyer, Margaret Pearce 10/32 page 9,10/168 parcel 49,10/177 page 11
1820 Henry Minshaw 10/164
1828 Elizabeth, Mary, and Harriet Minshaw, daughters of Henry Minshaw 10/164
1833 John Davidson and his wife Harriet, née Minshaw 10/169 page 44
1873 Charles and John Davidson 10/180 page 11
1900 John Davidson 10/180 page 11
Back to the index


Plot 225

A messuage now known as the Spring Hotel; plot 225 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1818 Joseph Shaw 10/168 parcel 16
1818 Sarah Weston 10/168 parcel 16
1820 Richard Mason 10/177 page 336
1820 John Mason 10/177 page 336
1856 Ann Mason and George Western 10/179 page 266
1860 John Goddard 57/32
(1860 Enfranchised) 57/32
Back to the index


Plot 226

A messuage, barn and half an acre of land in London Road, near what is now the Telephone Exchange; plot 226 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1687 Samuel Dewdney, his wife Alice and their son 10/170 page 127
1687 Thomas Bignold, fishmonger 10/170 page 127
(1687 Samuel Dewdney was a butcher) 10/170 page 127
1705 Mary Bignold and Sarah Bignold 10/170 page 176
1724 George Lewen 10/170 page 211
1743 Susannah Glyn 10/172 page 67
1751 Sir Richard Glyn 10/172 page 123
1773 Sir George Glyn 10/173
Back to the index


Plot 229

A messuage, barn, orchard and inner court in the High Street; the site is now occupied by Glyn House cottages; plot 229 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1694 Jane Waterer 10/170 page 146
1694 James Waterer 10/170 page 146
1697 Ann Clarke 10/170 page 154
1709 Humphrey Clarke 10/170 page 183
Back to the index


Plot 234

Tenements now known as 9, 11, 13 and 15 High Street; of these, 9 was known as the Red Lion public house and is now occupied by the Ewell bookshop and a physiotherapy clinic, while 11-15 are now occupied by shops and offices; plots 234-6 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1595 Nicholas Saunder 10/170 page 6
1595 Sir Francis Carew and Edmund Kidderminster 10/170 page 6
Prior to 1616 Sir Alexander Clifford and his wife Jane 10/170 page 48
1616 Arthur Garraway 10/170 page 48
1633 Nicholas Knapp 10/170 page 92
1684 Ann Fendall 10/170 page 121
1691 Henry Fendall 10/170 page 140
1702 Thomas Williams Snr and his wife Ann 10/170 page 164
1747 Thomas Williams Jnr 10/172 page 93
Prior to 1760 Thomas Williams, nephew of Thomas Williams Jnr 10/172 page 95
1760 Sir George Glyn 10/173
1814 Sir Lewen Powell Glyn 10/177 page 11
1842 Revd Sir George Glyn 10/177 page 11
Back to the index


Plot 236

Two messuages in Church Street, adjoining what was later Market House Stores and Wine Rack, and is now a vacant property; plot 236 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
(1754 Peter Snell was a peruke maker) 10/173
Prior to 1759 Thomas Williams 10/173
1759 Peter Snell 10/173
1807 James Hebard 10/168 parcel 21
(1813 James Hebard dies) 10/168 parcel 21
1813 Mary Hebard his widow 10/168 parcel 21
1831 James Hebard Jnr 10/168 parcel 21
1835 Thomas Furniss 10/167 page 25, 57/45
1865 Revd. Sir George Glyn 10/167 page 36
(1865 Property becomes freehold) 10/167 page 36
Back to the index


Plot 238

A tenement on the parsonage land, near what is now the Red House (7 Church Street); plot 238 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
(1577 Edward Dickens or Diggens Taylor's Survey
1504 Alan Dickens or Diggens 10/170 page 28
1616 Allen Dickens or Diggens, William Dickens or Diggens, Edward Savage 10/170 page 46
1627 Edward & Jane Gurnett 10/170 page 77

A messuage, near what is now the Red House (7 Church Street); plot 238 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1733 Henry Umfreville 10/172 page 1 Oct
1745 Thomas Brumfield 10/172
1771 Elizabeth Hastings 10/173
1786 John Woodman and his wife Ann 10/177 page 12
1816 Elizabeth Myers 10/168 parcel 51
1824 John Fall 10/167 page 15
1828 Elizabeth Fall 10/167 page 27
1828 Sir George Glyn 10/167 page 30
Back to the index


Plot 239

A messuage known as the Kings Head, subsequently converted to housing by the Revd. George Glyn in about 1850, and now known as 11 Church Street; plot 239 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1746 Henry Umfreville 10/172 page 82
1746 Robert Parker, brewer 10/172 page 82
1746 John Hudson, hop merchant 10/173
1764 Martha and Agatha Barclay 10/173
1767 Agatha Gurney, née Barclay 10/173
1782 Hudson Gurney 10/175 page 96
1796 Elizabeth Legh 10/175 page 326
1806 Trustees of Elizabeth Legh 10/168 parcel 19
1841 Charles Rowlls 10/169 page 7, 10/179 page 16
1850 Revd. Sir George Glyn 10/179 page 182, 57/25
Back to the index


Plot 241

A tenement known as Churchman's Tenement; the site was Rectory Farmhouse and is now that part of the churchyard which connects the old church with the Victorian church; plot 241 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1593 Saunder Bray 10/170 page 107
1593 St.John Bray 10/170 pages 4, 18, 107
1600 Francis Boulton and his wife Rose 10/170 page 18
1601 William Franke or Frank 10/170 page 19
1609 Margaret Frank, then her son Daniel and his wife Ann 10/170 page 35
1618 John Wright 10/170 page 53
1619 William Powell 10/170 page 56
1620 Nicholas Penson 10/170 page 61
1620 William Butts 10/170 page 62
1638 John Butts 10/170 page 101
Back to the index


Plot 242

A messuage near the junction of Church Street and London Road; the site is now part of the churchyard of the new St. Mary's church; plot 242 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1621 John Waterer 10/170 pages 63-4
1621 Sarah Waterer his wife 10/170 pages 63-4

A messuage and four acres of land in Church Street, near what was later Rectory Farm and is now part of the churchyard and the site of the Victorian church; plot 242 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1408 Thomas Aglond 1408 Register
1602 Jeronimus Vanderbrigg 10/170 page 21
1602 Christian Vanderbrigg his wife 10/170 page 22
Unknown date John Rogers and his wife Jane 10/170 page 22
Back to the index


Plot 243

A messuage in Church Street, near what is now Holman Court; plot 243 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1594 Christian Vanderbrigg 10/170 page 5
1594 Elizabeth Hinck 10/170 page 31
1606 John Rogers Snr 10/170 page 52
1617 John Rogers Jnr 10/170 page 52
1682 Jane Rogers 10/170 page 143
1694 Henry and Elizabeth Child 10/170 page 166
1702 Elizabeth Child 10/170 page 192
1715 Mary Maybank 10/170 page 192
1743 Samuel Maybank 10/172 pages 110, 118
1751 Henry Maybank 10/172 page 15
1756 Sir Richard Glyn 10/171
1774 Sir George Glyn 10/175 page 7
Back to the index


Plot 244

A messuage in Church Street, near what is now Holman Court; plot 244 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1687 Doxous Hulme 10/170 pages 129, 138
1699 Henry Sherbrook 10/170 page 157
1699 Thomas Stonyer and his wife Sarah 10/170 page 157
1699 William Bartlett 10/170 page 157
1715 Elizabeth Bartlett and their son William 10/170 page 190
1730 Thomas Moore for William Jolliffe 10/170 page 229
1771 Sir William Jolliffe 10/173
1772 Richard Carr Glyn 10/173
1803 Sir George Glyn 10/168 parcel 5
1814 Sir Lewen Powell Glyn 10/168 parcel 5
1842 Sir George Lewen Glyn 57/66
Back to the index


Plot 245

A messuage, barn and orchard, near what is now the barn standing at the rear of Barn House in Church Street; plot 245 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1724 Henry Child 10/170 page 206
1724 Sarah Child his widow, later Sarah Frank 10/170 page 206
1726 John Frank 10/170 page 214
1746 William Millett 10/170 page 82
1755 Thomas Brumfield and his wife Ann 10/171
1755 Thomas Brumfield 10/175 page 13
1756 Sir George Glyn 10/175 page 17
1814 Sir Lewen Powell Glyn 10/169 pages 10-13
Back to the index


Plot 252

A messuage in London Road; the site is now occupied by Ivy Cottage; plot 252 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1743 William Carpenter and his wife Judith 10/172 page 63
1743 Elizabeth Borer 10/172 page 63
1775 Sarah & Catherine Borer 10/175 page 17
1778 Henry Kitchen, Snr 10/175 page 58
1789 Henry Kitchen Jnr , timber merchant 10/175 page 254
1789 James Cook Clemson, umbrella maker 10/175 page 254
1801 Thomas Wells, tailor 10/175 page 408
1812 Robert Fuller 10/168 parcel 41
1822 Francis Fuller 10/169 page 73
1861 Mary Ann & Elizabeth Hards 10/166 page 25
Back to the index


Plot 277

A messuage said to have been latterly built on the lord's waste, near what is now Ewell Castle School in Church Street; plot 277 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1612 John Wood 10/170 page 40
1612 Austin Wood 10/170 page 40
1621 Henry Ottaway 10/170 page 163
1621 Thomas Angell and his wife Christian 10/170 page 65
1622 John Comberlodge, son of Christian 10/170 page 66
1631 John Angell, son of Thomas and Christian 10/170 page 86
Back to the index


Plot 280

A messuage now known as the Well House (10/10a Church Street); plot 280 on the Enclosure Award
Dates Holder Reference
1712 Sarah Lucas, née Stepney, the wife of John Lucas Snr 10/170 page 186
1730 John Lucas Jnr their son 10/170 page 220
Back to the index


Plot 282

A quarter acre of land in Church Street; the site is now occupied by three buildings - 'Tabards', 'Malt End Cottage', and a third building which was a malthouse, then became a music museum, and is now St. Michael's Church; plot 282 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
(1754 Mary Chambers dies) 10/171
1757 Thomas Lewin 10/173
Prior to 1775 Rebecca Russell 10/175 page 15
1775 Henry Kitchen 10/175 page 15
1804 William Neale as executor 10/169 page 55
(1816 Land now split - part to Samuel Roberts, part to James Western) 10/169 page 55
  Samuel Roberts' part  
1830 Thomas Burt 57/61
(1830 Samuel Roberts was a floorcloth manufacturer) 57/61
1838 George Stone 10/167 page 27
1860 Enfranchised 57/38
  James Western's part  
1831 Michael Fidler 10/168 parcel 9, 10/177
1839 Enfranchised 57/38
Back to the index


Plot 283

A messuage known as the George public house, with its entrance in Church Street; now rebuilt on the site but with an entrance in the High Street, and known as the William IV public house; plot 283 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1592 John Collins Snr 10/170 page 2
1592 John Collins Jnr and his wife Faith 10/170 page 2
1608 Jervas Umbreville 10/170 page 33
1706 John Waterer - date acquired unknown 10/170 page 176
1706 Joseph Winkles, grandson 10/170 page 176
Prior to 1758 Henry Fendall 10/171
1758 William Williams 10/171
1770 Ann Williams 10/173
1786 Henry Williams 10/175 page 221
1789 Thomas Williams 10/175 page 240
1799 Thomas Cooper, brewer 10/175 page 381
Prior to 1811 Henry Coffin 10/168 parcel 34
1811 Mary Coffin and her sisters 10/168 parcel 34
1811 George Barnes 10/169 page 92
(1811 The pub is largely rebuilt, and renamed)
1816 Anthony Harman 10/167 page 10
1848 Revd.Thomas Harman 10/166 page 27
1864 Thomas Nixon Harman 10/32 page 8
1885 Nalder & Collyer 10/179 page 493

A messuage, yard and orchard near the junction of Cheam Road and the High Street; plot 283 on the Enclosure Award
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1625 Thomas Waterer 10/170 page 74
1625 Richard Rogers 10/170 page 74
1638 Mary Rogers 10/170 page 101

A messuage in the High Street, now the office building adjoining the King William IV; plot 283 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1816 George Barnes 10/168 parcel 36
1816 Ann Brown 10/168 parcel 36
1823 Thomas Wheatley Brown 10/167 page 18
1828 Elizabeth Wheatley 10/168 parcel 36
1833 John Bailey as trustee 10/169 page 43

A messuages in the High Street; the site is now occupied by Brighton House; plot 283 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1816 George Barnes 10/168 parcel 36
1816 James Western 10/168 parcel 36
1846 George Western his son 10/179 page 102
1862 Charles Croxson 10/179 page 395
(1863 Enfranchised) 10/179 page 395

A house and garden in Cheam Road; the site is next to what was the Bulls Head and is now the HSBC bank; plot 283/5 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1795 Richard Carpenter Smith
1795 Charles Clewes 10/175 page 291
1803 John Jackman 10/168 parcel 1
1845 Charlotte Showell 57/36
1860 John Eldad Walters 10/179 page 275
(1860 Enfranchised by Melmoth Walters)  
Back to the index


Plot 284

A messuage known as the Bulls Head; the site is now occupied by the HSBC Bank; part of plot 284 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1687 William Parkhurst Snr and his wife Mary,William Parkhurst Jnr and his wife Mary 10/170 page 130
1688 William Parkhurst, maltster, and his wife Mary 10/170 page 131
1691 Rebecca Parkhurst 10/170 page 141
1693 John Worsfold Snr 10/170 page 143
1705 John Worsfold Jnr his son 10/170 page 175
1705 John Bardoe and his wife Mary, Thomas Life and his wife Rebecca 10/170 page 141
1736 Edward Life 10/172 page 236
1740 Edward Acton Snr, gentleman, and his wife Susan 10/172 page 46
1780 Edward Acton Jnr their son 10/175 page 75
1799 William Langford his grandson 10/175 page 386
1800 James Jackman 10/175 page 387
1808 J.T. Whitby 10/166 page 62
1816 W.H. Ashpittle 10/166 page 29, 10/168 parcel 18
1850 William Winks 10/179 page 202
1866 Myra Danvers 10/166 page 63
(1866 Enfranchised)

Three messuages and three cottages in Cheam Road; the site was later Nuthalls shop and yard, and is now occupied by shops; part of plot 284 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1809 Grace Jackman 10/168 parcel 1
1809 James Jackman Snr and Jnr 10/168 parcel 1
1821 James Waghorn 10/177 page 348
1848 Jane Slee 10/167 page 30
1867 Stephen Marfleet 10/179 page 437
1886 Frederick Marfleet 10/179 page 493

Two messuages in Cheam Road; the site is next to what was the Bulls Head and is now the HSBC bank; part of plot 284 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1809 T. Whitby and James Jackman 10/169 page 77-79
1821 David Showell 10/177 page 13
1845 Charlotte Showell his widow 10/167 page 30
1859 John Eldad Walters 10/179 page 275
(1860 Enfranchised)  
Back to the index


Plot 286

A tenement in Cheam Road, near what is now Staneway Chapel; plot 286 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1538 John Aglond G1/20/12/xxi (Gadesden papers)
1594 Thomas Kempe 10/170 page 4
1602 James Kempe 10/170 page 21

A messuage later known as Dorset House; the site is now a car park adjoining the shops in Cheam Rd; plot 286 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1735 Sarah Robotham 10/172 page 21
1736 Walter Robotham 10/172 page 21
1743 Henry Fendall 10/172 page 64
1749 Helena Fendall 10/171
1757 William Williams 10/171
1770 Ann Williams 10/173
1786 Henry Williams 10/175 page 221
1789 Thomas Williams 10/175 page 240
1799 Henry Kitchen 10/175 page 371
1805 Mary Kitchen 10/168 parcel 10
1805 George Barnes 10/168 parcel 10
1861 Henrietta Vansittart 32/33/2
1869 Dr George Thomas Barnes 10/167 page 36, 10/179 page 430
Back to the index


Plot 298

A house and garden at the junction of Epsom Road and Reigate Road; the site is now shops and a block of flats; plot 298 on the Enclosure Award
Dates Holder Reference
1817 Samuel Collingridge and his wife Sarah 10/168 parcel 9
1850 Samuel Collingridge Jnr 32/33/p.3
Back to the index


Plot 299

A tenement with garden; the site is now occupied by Persfield Mews; plot 299 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1784 Henry Kitchen 10/175 page 255
1784 John Woodman 10/175 page 255
1809 Revd. T.B. Woodman and MissP.E. Harrison 10/168 parcel 29
1825 Revd. James Holmes and his wife Eleanor,née Harrison 10/167 page 16
Back to the index


Plot 307

A messuage with barn, yard, stable etc near what was later the West Street School and is now Ewell Grove flats; plot 307 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1688 Mary Aldrick 10/170 page 132
1688 Margaret Aldrick 10/170 page 132
1696 Ann Pierson 10/170 page 150
1709 Elizabeth Lawrence 10/170 page 181
1709 George Abbott Snr, baker 10/170 page 181
1736 Robert Abbott 10/170 page 22
1748 George Abbott Jnr and his wife Martha 10/172 page 100
1748 John Vernon and his wife Agnes 10/172 page 100
1757 Thomas Brumfield 10/171
1771 Ann Brumfield 57/20
1776 Henry Kitchen 10/175 page 24
1805 James Andrew 10/175 page 24
1856 John Boys 10/167 page 36
1869 Sophia his widow and their son George 10/167 page 36
1884 A.W. Gadesden Gadesden papers

Three cottages in West Street near what was the National School and is now apartments; plot 307 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1804 Henry Kitchen 10/168 parcel 9
1804 William Neale 10/168 parcel 9
1805 James Andrew 10/168 parcel 9, 10/32/1, 10/33
1805 Enfranchised 10/168 parcel 25

Two messuages near what was later the West Street School and is now Ewell Grove flats; plot 307 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1688 Mary Aldrick 10/170 page 132
1688 Margaret Aldrick 10/170 page 132
1696 Ann Pierson 10/170 page 150
1709 George Abbott, baker 10/170 page 181
1736 Robert Abbott 10/170 page 22
1748 John Vernon and his wife Agnes 10/172 page 100
1757 Thomas Brumfield 10/171
1771 Ann Brumfield 57/20
1776 Henry Kitchen 10/175 page 24
1805 John Jolliffe 57/20
1845 John Boys 57/13
1849 Adam Pearson, saddler 10/166 page 44
1865 James Rendall and Charles Monger 10/179 page 461
1870 William Hards 10/167 page 37

Two messuages in West Street, near what was later the West Street School and is now Ewell Grove flats; plot 307 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1691 Edward Goldsmith Snr and his wife Jane 10/170 page 141
1703 Jane Goldsmith his widow 10/170 page 169
1725 Edward Goldsmith Jnr 10/170 pages 209-10
1755 John Hawkins 10/171
1760 Robert Hawkins 10/173
1771 Henry Kitchen 10/173

Back to the index


Plot 308

A cottage in West Street, behind what is now the Barnard Marcus estate agents at the junction of High Street and West Street; plot 308 on the Enclosure Award
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1594 Edward Hoord 10/170 page 5
1594 William and Margaret Hoord 10/170 page 5
1613 Margaret Ladd 10/170 page 42
1631 George Justine Jnr, Margaret Smith, Joan Brinklow,Susannah Page 10/170 page 88, 100
1639 George Justine Jnr, Margaret Smith, Joan Brinklow 10/170 pages 103-4

A messuage known as the White Horse, at the corner of West Street and the High Street; the site is now an estate agent's office; plot 308 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1638 Thomas Hoord or Horde 10/170 page 101
1638 William Hoord 10/170 page 101
Date unknown Thomas Bird 10/170 page 101
1704 Richard Hall 10/170 page 17
Date unknown William Hall 10/170 page 17
1726 Mary Galton 10/170 page 213
(1726 John Galton was a cooper) 10/170 page 213
1743 Mary Cleaver, sister of William Hall 10/172 page 70
1796 Mary Ann Cleaver, his daughter 10/175 page 325
1819 Caroline Jane Roberts, his cousin 10/177 page 13, 10/166 page 44
1866 Augustus Gadesden 57/73
Back to the index


Plot 312

A messuage and garden in West Street, near what is now the rear of John Gale Court; plot 312 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1776 John Dudman 10/175 page 30
1784 Henry Kitchen, timber merchant 10/175 page 146
1790 John Woodman 10/175 page 235
Back to the index


Plot 315

A house in West Street, behind what is now Pisces embroidery shop; plot 315 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1753 Sarah Hawkins 10/175 page 26
1753 Thomas Brumfield 10/175 page 26
Prior to 1776 Trustees of Henry Kitchen 10/175 page 26
1776 Francis Hudson, a servant of Mrs. Dallow of Epsom 10/175 page 26, 10/164
1783 Mary Hudson 10/175 page 108
1790 Peter Richardson 10/175 page 244
Prior to 1809 Moses Martell and his wife Isabella, and John Hudson and his wife Emily 10/169 page 53
1809 Sarah Hebard 10/167 page 23
1831 Sarah Hebard 57/28
1870 Charles Hebard her nephew 10/167 page 37, 57/64/5, 10/179 page 464
1873 William Reeds 10/179 page 466
Back to the index


Plot 316

A house, barn, stables, etc. now known as Wallis House in the High Street; plot 316 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1726 Samuel Hawkins Snr, tallowchandler 10/170 page 212
1741 Samuel Hawkins Jnr 10/172 page 69
1743 Sarah Hawkins, aunt of Samuel Hawkins Jnr 10/172 page 67
1762 Sarah Bouchier 10/173
1796 Amelia Bouchier 10/175 page 312
1800 Charles Bouchier 10/175 page 391
1800 James Hebard 10/175 page 391
1813 Mary Hebard his widow 10/167 page 22
1831 Mary Hebard their daughter 10/168 parcel 65
1865 Charles Hebard 10/166 page 28
1865 George Stone 10/166 page 28

A messuage, stable, yard, and subsequently a bakehouse, now known as Pisces embroidery shop in the High Street; plot 316 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1247 William de Brademore Fitznells Cartulary
1408 Thomas Provys 1408 Register
1577 Agnes Collier Taylor's Survey
Prior to 1729 George Gurney 10/170 page 218
1729 Jane Bateman 10/170 page 218
1742 Thomas Puplett 10/172 page 59
1743 John Badcock 10/172 page 65
1757 Ann and Frances Badcock 10/171
1773 Robert Rowse and his wife Ann 10/173
1780 James Hebard 10/175 page 71
(1813 James Hebard dies) 57/28
1813 Mary Hebard his widow 57/28
1831 Emily Hudson their daughter 57/28
1839 John Hudson and his wife Emily 10/167 page 27, 10/168 parcel 45
1844 Henry Picknell, baker 10/167 page 29
(1870 Enfranchised) 10/164

A house, garden, granary etc, near the rear of what is now Wallis House in the High Street; plot 316 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1802 Thomas Williams  
1802 John Muggeridge 10/175 page 418
1819 George Booker Stone 10/167 page 11, 10/169 page 38
1836 George Stone 10/169 page 38
1865 Charles Hebard 10/166 page 57, 10/167 page 26
Back to the index


Plot 317

Two messuages, a bakehouse and a garden, near what is now Market Parade in the High Street; plot 317 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1725 David Griffin 10/170 page 208
1730 William Griffin and his wife Amphillas 10/170 page 222
1764 John Matthews Snr 10/173
1769 John Matthews Jnr his son 10/173
1785 Edward Try 10/33 page11
1861 Elizabeth Russell 10/33 page11
(1861 Enfranchised) 10/33 page 11
Back to the index


Plot 320

A tenement and land; the site was later occupied by the gardens of Garbrand Hall and is now part of Bourne Hall car park; plot 320 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1593 William Whitfield 10/170 page 30
1593 Leonard Ellwood 10/170 page 30
1619 Katherine, wife of Leonard Ellwood, and their children Edward, Margaret, Katharine and Jane 10/170 page 57
1625 Alice Collier 10/170 page 73

A messuage near what is now the Bourne Hall Health Centre; plot 320 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1611 Edward Skeete I 10/170 page17
1611 Audrey Skeete his wife 10/170 page 39
Prior to 1626 Edward Skeete II 10/170 page 75
1626 Elizabeth Skeete his wife 10/170 page 75
Prior to 1631 Edward Skeete II 10/170 page 88
1631 Mary Skeete his wife 10/170 page 88

A tenement known as Windsmer Hill; the site was later occupied by Garbrand Hall, and is now the Bourne Hall complex; plot 320 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1595 Nicholas Saunder 10/170 page 7
1595 Alexander and Jane Clifford 10/170 page 7
1616 Arthur Garraway 10/170 page 49
1618 Henry Garraway 10/170 page 55
1633 Nicholas Knapp 10/170 page 94
1691 Henry Fendall 10/170 page 140
1702 Thomas Williams Snr and his wife Ann 10/170 page 64
1747 Thomas Williams Jnr 10/172 page 93
1747 Thomas Williams, nephew of Thomas Jnr 10/172 page 96
1759 John Hawkins 10/173
(1759 Thomas Williams was a linen draper) 10/173
1772 Philip Rowden 10/173
1796 Thomas Hercey Barritt 10/175 page 308
1818 Ann Barritt 10/168 parcel 53
Undated Thomas Wildman 10/169 page 1
Undated Henry Batson 10/169 page 1
1861 George Torr 10/166 page 54

A messuage with yard, garden etc; the site was later occupied by the Turrets (the dairy of Garbrand Hall) and is now part of Bourne Hall Park; plot 320 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1738 John Lucas 0/172 page 36
1738 Henry Goldsmith and his wife Mary 10/172 page 36
1763 Thomas Baldwin 10/173
1769 William Baldwin his father 10/173
1769 Henry Kitchen 10/173
1796 Thomas Hercey Barritt 10/175 page 302
1818 Ann Barritt his widow 10/168 parcel 53a
1715 Gilbert Clarke 10/170 page 192
1724 George Lewen 10/170 page 211
1773 Sir Richard Glyn 10/173
(1801 Sir George Glyn pulled down premises) 10/175 page 405

Two cottages under one roof, near what is now Bourne Hall; plot 320 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1687 William Parkhurst 10/170 page 123, 10/125/130
1687 Isaac Hawkins, grocer 10/170 page 137
1690 Nicholas Hawkins 10/170 page 135
1702 Charles Hopson 10/170 page 168
1704 John Wheeler 10/170 page 171
1740 Stephen Wheeler, wheelwright 10/172 page 46
1742 Richard Chitty 10/172 page 46

Back to the index


Plot 327

A messuage and garden in West St, beyond what is now John Gale Court; the site was later occupied by three cottages; plot 327 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1735 Edward Sleyman 10/170 page 235
1735 Robert Fowle, butcher 10/170 page 235
1759 Joseph Shaw 10/173
1820 Sarah Weston 10/169 page 317
1824 George Bennett 10/168 parcel 57
1824 William Hards 57/61
1835 Mary Wigham Legg, née Hards 10/32/33/7, 10/166 page 30
1846 Augustus Gadesden 10/166 page 30
(1846 Enfranchised by Gadesden)  
Back to the index


Plot 328

A messuage in West Street; the site is now occupied by six narrow terraced cottages; plot 328 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1714 Thomas Withell and his wife Mary 10/170 page 189
1714 Adam Johnson Snr 10/170 page 189
1732 Adam Johnson Jnr 10/170 page 227/9
1751 Thomas Fitzherbert 10/172 page 122
1762 Sarah Fitzherbert 10/173
1770 William Coffin Snr 10/173
1787 William Coffin Jnr G/1/4/3 (Gardesden papers)
1795 Mary and Elizabeth Coffin 10/175 page 297
1813 Thomas Calverley 10/165/43
(1854 Enfranchised)  
Back to the index


Plot 336

A messuage, garden, yard and orchard in West Street, near what is now Gibraltar Recreation Ground; plot 336/7 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1598 Margaret Rogers, widow of Robert 10/170 page 17
1598 Elizabeth Potter and Dorothy Rogers 10/170 page 17
1607 Robert Rogers 10/170 page 32
1610 Nicholas Rogers 10/170 page 37
1618 Abraham Bowery and his wife Elizabeth 10/170 page 53
1622 Dorothy Gunn 10/170 page 67
Back to the index


Plot 353

A messuage and orchard in West Street, opposite what is now Gibraltar Recreation Ground; plot 353 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1598 Thomas Gunn 10/170 page 15
1598 Dorothy Gunn 10/170 page 15
1624 John Gunn 10/170 page 70
1634 John Goose 10/170 page 95
1637 George Goose 10/170 page 99
1684 Sancta Gunn 10/170
1687 Elizabeth Antill 10/170 page 126
1696 William Hoard 10/170 page 151
1722 Thomas Banks 10/170 page 225
1737 John Meakham 10/172 page 25
1765 George Meakham 10/173
1766 Mary Ann Chamier 10/173
1783 John Chamier and his wife Dorothy 10/175 page 117
1783 Thomas Calverley 10/175 page 117
1853 James Gadesden 10/173
(1854 Enfranchised)  
Back to the index


Plot 354

A messuage, barn etc called Oathaus in West Street; the site is opposite Gibraltar Recreation Ground; plot 354 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1605 William Cuddington 10/170 page 29
1617 Ann Cuddington 10/170 page 50
1617 Edward Cuddington 10/170 page 109
1713 Edward Cuddington 10/170 pages 188-9
1714 Eleanor Palmer 10/170 pages 189, 232
1750 John Jolliffe 10/171
Back to the index


Plot 358

A messuage with three cottages, barns and stables in West Street; the site was later known as Ewell House, and is now a block of flats; plot 358 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1628 William Gonne 10/170 page 80
1628 Edmund Bourne 10/170 page 80
1632 Matthew Goodwyn 10/170 page 89
1632 Nicholas Knapp 10/170 page 89
1684 Ann Fendall 10/170 page 121
1691 Henry Fendall 10/170 page 140
1757 William Williams 10/171
1799 Henry Kitchen 10/175 page 384
Back to the index


Plot 394

A messuage and orchard in Epsom Road, near what is now Purberry Shot; plot 394 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1689 Nicholas Baker 10/170 page 133
1689 Thomas Simmons 10/170 page 133
1695 Nicholas Anderson and his wife Jane 10/170 page 149
Prior to 1797 William Woods 10/175 page 331
1797 William Batchelor Snr 10/175 page 331
1835 Jesse Batchelor 10/167 page 25
1837 William Batchelor 10/166 page 3
1839 Sarah Batchelor his aunt 10/169 page 35
Prior to 1689 Nicholas Baker 10/170 page 133
1689 Thomas Simmons 10/170 page 133
1695 Nicholas Anderson and his wife Jane 10/170 page 149
Prior to 1797 William Woods 10/175 page 331
1797 William Batchelor Snr 10/175 page 331
1835 Jesse Batchelor 10/167 page 25
1837 William Batchelor 10/166 page 3
1839 Sarah Batchelor his aunt 10/169 page 35
  (Two additional cottages built in garden)  
(1861 Enfranchised by Sarah Batchelor)  
Back to the index


Plot 402

A messuage formerly known as Mongers Academy and used as a school, and now known as The Old House and used as an Abbeyfield residential home; plot 402 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1805 William Turner 10/168 parcel 14
1823 William Monger 10/167 page 10
1848 William Richard Monger 57/66
1859 William Robert Monger 57/40
(1859 Enfranchised)  
Back to the index


Plot 405

A tenement at the junction of Epsom Road and Mongers Lane, near what is now known as the Old House; plot 405 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1809 John Woodman 10/168 parcel 29
1809 Revd. T.B. Woodman 10/168 parcel 29
1809 Eleanor Holmes, née Harrison 10/167 page 10, 32/33/7
1866 Enfranchised by William Walters)  
Back to the index


Plot 413

A tenement in West Street; the site was later occupied by the Poor House, and is now Gibraltar Place and Europa Point Cottage; plot 413 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Undated Elizabeth Andrew, daughter of James Andrew 10/179 page 260
1856 John Boys 10/179 page 260
Back to the index


Plot 422

A messuage in Chessington Road; the site is now part of Hook Road arena; plot 422 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1807 James Holland 10/166 page 33
1807 John Marter 10/166 page 33
Back to the index


Plot 440

A messuage, barn, orchard and land near what is now Bourne Way; plot 440 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1810 Thomas Bradford 10/168 parcel 33
1810 Charles Bradford 10/168 parcel 33
Undated Henry Bradford and Sarah Lipscombe 10/179 page 38
1849 James Edser 10/166 page 14, 32/33/p.4
1865 Augustus Gadesden 10/179 page 472
Back to the index


Plot 441

A messuage near what is now Bourne Way; plot 441 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1795 Thomas Corbett Snr 10/167 page 6
1831 Thomas Corbett Jnr 10/169 page 54, 10/177 page 14, 10/179 page 252
1856 Amy Farr 10/32/33
Back to the index


Plot 473

Two cottages in Kingston Road, near what is now the Queen Adelaide; the site is now occupied by housing; plot 473 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
1803 William Batchelor 10/168
1835 Jesse Batchelor 57/39
1870 William Batchelor 10/178/p.64
1893 Elizabeth Wheatley 57/53

Two cottages on the right hand side of Kingston Road; the site was part of Ewell Common and is now occupied by housing; plot 473 on the Enclosure Award.
Dates Holder Reference
Undated William Batchelor 10/169 page 36
1836 Jesse Batchelor 10/167 page 26
1870 William Batchelor 10/179 page 464
Back to the index



 Art
 Family History
 Health
 Map
 Nature
 People
 Places
 Society
 Sources
 Technology
 Trade
 Transport
 War Memorials

 Contact
 Sitemap
 What's New
 Home

Email:


Donate to The History Centre