'This house, which stands on the west side of Ashley Road, is dated on a lead rain-water head 1769, with the initials I.R. Excepting the front elevation and porch, there is little that suggests the fashionable Adam style of this date ; and the house generally is in the taste of some twenty years earlier.'before continuing with a detailed description of the structure at that time.
'Mr. D. A. Burl [another local historian] states that the house was built by John Riley the younger on the site of a former messuage in the possession of Lord Baltimore'.
'A capital, new erected [supporting the 1769 date rather than one suggested to have been constructed decades earlier], brick dwelling house and offices, coach houses and stables, gardens, orchards, court yard and pasture field in the town of Epsom, abutting N on a new road leading to the Downs [from the Spread Eagle into the Town Mead later Eagle then Ashley, Road], SW on gardens, NE on a garden belonging to the King's Head inn and S on a field.'for 12 years at £147 pa to Nathaniel Bayley of Westminster, Esq.
'Sir Edward Williams, Bart., of Langoed Castle, co. Brecknock, died 1804, aged 76; and Dame Elizabeth his wife, daughter and co-heiress of John Rily, of Epsom, died 1812, aged 67.
Arg. a stag tripping ppr., the badge of Ulster, on an escutcheon of pretence or a fess between-three crosslets az. (Rily)'.
'To the memory of GEORGE WHITE of Ashley House, Epsom. He was Churchwarden and for many years Vestry Clerk of this Parish. Born 17th September, 1809 Died 6th August, 1898'His burial aged 89 took place at Epsom Cemetery on 11 August 1898. The widowed Mrs Jane White stayed in occupation and was named the owner of Ashley House in 1900. She appears to have remained there until about 1919 before moving with her son, Capt. Reginald White, to Millwood, Links Road, Epsom. From that address she was brought for interment in Epsom Cemetery on 3 May 1929, aged 92.