|9 High Street, Ewell|
|Current Occupiers (2013)||9a Ember Travel Travel agents |
9b Physio Plus Physiotherapy
|Occupier in 1911||John Ordway Willis|
|Details of 1911 Proprietor||Born 1866 Ewell, son of Henry and brother of Cloudesley; his lineage is set out here. He took over the business at 9 High Street, Ewell from his father and was still there when he died on 19 October 1950. Married 1897 Rachel Louise House (1877-1966). Two children, both born Ewell - Henry John (born 1898, last heard of as a Private in the Australian Army for the duration of the First World War, which he survived, and a resident of Grenfell, New South Wales) and Cicely Gertrude (1901-1983, married Herbert Clifford Fausset).|
|Details of building, where known||
Two storeys with colour wash rough cast to the street. Three sash windows to first floor, inserted at the end of 18thC; ground floor from left to right, an early 19thC shop front (1838) consisting of door to left with glazing bars and similar rectangular fanlight and shallow canted shop window with glazing bars, frieze, cornice and slender panelled pilasters. To right hand is a central door with pilasters, frieze and cornice, flanked each side by a sash window, each having a pair of flush panelled shutters. Steep slate roof. Side elevation has exposed timber framing. Early 16thC with later alterations and additions
Another description says that the building was probably late 16thC and the likely site of part of the Red Lion Inn in the 16thC. From 1617-1760 it was known as the Queen Anne or the Queen's Head and then became the premises of the Bliss family.
9 High Street in 1958
Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum.
9 High Street, 2013
Photo by Brian Bouchard