EWELL BUSINESSES 1911


47 High Street, Ewell
(then known as 3 Highway)
Current Occupier (2013) Il Capriccio (43-47)
Restaurant
Occupier in 1911 Jane Quincey
Confectioner
Details of 1911 Proprietor Nee Keen. Born 1877 Epsom. Married Ernest Edward Quincey (1876-1953).

In 1911 Mr Quincey was a butler in London, although he was probably concerned in the sweet shop too. He and Jane had been servants - footman and housemaid - at The Priory, Nutfield, Surrey, which is presumably how they met.

Child - Leonard Ernest (1910-96, tobacconist and newsagent, married Constance Hale).

Died 3 March 1951, then living at 49 Meadow Walk, Ewell.
Details of building, where known This was once part of a terrace of 5 cottages (43-51), built in the 19thC, which used to have front gardens separated by posts and chains. The shop fronts were added in the 20thC, but it seems that in the 19thC small businesses were carried on in front rooms.
47 High Street
47 High Street (2-storey building on left), 2013
Photo by Brian Bouchard




Go to the 1913 Map of Ewell


HV Usill
HV Usill
Jimmy Page
Jimmy Page
Page Family
Page Family
TH Snow
TH Snow
JA Larby
JA Larby
J Harrison
J Harrison
Foundlings
Foundlings
Nonsuch Mansion
Nonsuch Mansion
New Stables
New Stables