|32 High Street, Ewell|
|Current Occupier (2013)||Williams|
|Occupier in 1911||Edward Henry Joseph Williams|
|Details of 1911 Proprietor||Born c.1875 Ewell, son of Edward Williams, the parish clerk. Edward Junior began work as a clerk in the Ecclesiastical office in London and then became a commercial clerk before taking the shop. Married 1899 Mary Hepzibah Harrisson (born c.1875 Felstead, Essex, died 1942). Two children, both born Ewell - Geoffrey Edward Harrisson (1901- 1953; married Violet M Grange and lived at Little Park Farm, Ashtead), Joyce Mary (1905; married Ewell schoolmaster Frederick George Wells). Died 6 November 1944, then living at Cleveland, Hillside Road, Ewell. Geoffrey was also in the business.|
|Details of building, where known||Formerly Bruntons, booksellers/newsagents.
Architectural description applies to 32 and 34.
18thC with mid 19thC front. Brick front, otherwise weatherboarded. Mansard tile roof. 19thC brick stacks. 2 storeys and attics. 4 sashes in moulded surrounds on first floor, early 20thC shop fronts on ground floor and 4 attic dormers. Rear elevation has 2 attic rooms built out at either end, with diagonal weatherboarding.
Originally The White House, a gentleman's residence, long the home of the Andrew family. Built in the late 18thC, this timber-framed building was faced with mathematical tiles, but these only survive on Number 32. It is thought that the frontage was replaced c.1904 to form 2 shops.
Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum.
32 High Street, 2013
Photo by Brian Bouchard