EWELL BUSINESSES 1911


24 High Street, Ewell
Current Occupier (2013) T Brown Group
Property maintenance.
Occupier in 1911 Moger & Co
Coal merchant
(manager = Ernest Golds)
Details of 1911 Proprietor The Mogers were a dynasty of coal merchants, but not particularly local: the businesses were part of a chain and at this point were being run by Joseph Charles Moger of Croydon (1860-1951) and his brothers, Herbert James and Walter Henry.The manager of the Ewell branch in 1911 was Ernest Golds from Pulborough, Sussex (born 1863), but he had a local connection: his mother, Annette, was the daughter of William Steward Woods (died 1864) who had been a baker in Ewell High Street. Ernest had been in Ewell in the 1901 census, described as an articled clerk; he died in 1931.
Details of building, where known Formerly the premises of the Stone family, corn and coal merchants. There was a large barn in the yard which later became the Electricity Board's showrooms. Earlier house refronted late 18thC. Two storeys, colour washed plaster, four modern sash windows. Ground floor unaltered late 18thC. Left to right, sash windows with flush panelled shutters, pedimented doorcase with panelled pilasters, similar window with similar shutters. Double-fronted shop front with two canted bays on plastered bases with glazed central door, frieze and cornice over set back slightly to centre. Central valley. Slate roof with weatherboarding to side elevations.
24 High Street
24 High Street
Close-up of left-hand building, 24 High Street, 2013
Photo by Brian Bouchard

24 High Street
Converted barn to north of the above buildings, 2013
Photo by Brian Bouchard




Go to the 1913 Map of Ewell


HV Usill
HV Usill
Jimmy Page
Jimmy Page
Page Family
Page Family
TH Snow
TH Snow
JA Larby
JA Larby
J Harrison
J Harrison
Foundlings
Foundlings
Nonsuch Mansion
Nonsuch Mansion
New Stables
New Stables