129 - 131 High Street, Epsom
(129 Grade II* Listed,
131 Grade II Listed)
|Current Occupier (2013)||La Piccola Cafe (129)|
The Hub Information Centre (131)
|Occupier in 1911||Chadband & Sons|
Tailors and outfitters
|Details of 1911 Proprietor||
The Chadbands had been tailoring in Epsom since at least 1811 and probably before that. William Chadband (born c.1786) lived at Clay Hill until his death in 1854; his son Alfred Miles (born 1821) then took over, certainly living in East Street, although it is not clear if he operated the business from there, but by 1861 he was in the High Street. Alfred died in 1886 and the next tailors were his sons Frank Charles (born 1858) and Ralph (born 1860). In 1891 and 1901 Ralph, unmarried, was living in the High Street premises with his mother and Frank was married, living in Church Street. Ralph died in the Surrey County Asylum at Brookwood in 1905; his mother then died in 1909 and that is probably why no one was resident at the High Street address in the 1911 census.|
Frank Charles Chadband married Kate Norrington (born 1863), daughter of local grocer Charles Norrington, in 1888. They had two children, John Stanley (born 1890, died of wounds 31 December 1915) and Irene (born 1893). Irene married book-keeper John Hargreaves Neville in 1923 and died in 1936, then living in Cheam.
Frank died on 11 February 1943, still living in Church Street, Kate having predeceased him in 1922.
Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum